• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding troubles

Hoppinbunny

New Kit
I have 2 neutered boy buns, both about 5/6 months old. We originally thought we had a boy and a girl but hey ho. They are housed outside in separate hutches but at a 90 degree angle so they can see eachother and hopefully smell eachother. We brought them in every night for 2 weeks and one would be in the run and one not and we would alternate, by the end of the 2 weeks they would be led side by side, eating and grooming themselves next to eachother so we decided to start bonding without the run in the kitchen. The first night they managed 10 minutes before starting to squabble so we put them back then, the second night was an hour without any squabbling at all, the 3rd night about 10 minutes then Martha started humping Bill and then whilst he wasn't fighting back particularly Bills fur was flying everywhere so we separated. Last night they started circling straight away and we tried to put them side by side and stroke the to get them relaxed but as soon as we let go they would circle again and then they fought. My husbands now saying we should give up and have one indoors and one outdoors but says if we do this he won't want to get them companions in case the same thing happens again. Obviously I don't want them being on their own and wouldn't allow this but I just wondered if there is anything else I could do? I've looked into bonding services but there doesn't seem to be anything local to me in greater Manchester. Please someone help with some advice, I'm a newbie to rabbit bonding and feel I've let them down

Have you tried bonding your boys in a totally neutral area - if so and they still choose to squabble, then imo the chances of them ever getting along are slim. Swapping them over doen't seem to work for me, maybe because the more dominant of the 2 just claims each space for himself, so then attacks the less dominant one.

You can always keep them side by side with wire separating them, that way they have the company of another rabbit. It's not ideal but I do that with some of my females and they seem quite happy!

Have you looked into someone else bonding them away from home? That might work.

We have been trying to bond them in the kitchen which was totally neutral before we started. It's such a shame because I can tell that they do want to be in company but just can't figure it out. There are no places near me that I can find to bond for me :(

Back