• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits want to stay out in the run - will they not get cold?

BexB

New Kit
Hi all,

Wonder if some rabbit people can give me some advice please on my two bunnies. Rescued over a year ago, my two buns have been through a lot after being dumped in rubbish, and clearly had been mistreated so we have had a long journey to get them to where they are today.

Their setup is huge and they love it - a huge three tiered hutch, access to the secure run at all times and a complete thermal and water proofed cover on both to keep them snug, safe and dry. Whenever we are home they also have access to our secure garden. They tend to spend their time mainly between the run and the top of their hutch in the day when they snooze, however, I am noticing a behaviour they had when I first got them returning. Rather than moving to the warmest, most secure place (one of the two upper levels or inside the bottom floor), they seem to really like sitting right in the most exposed corner of their run. I know this gives them most visibility (although pretty much anywhere they go it's pretty good), I am starting to worry about them getting cold, especially at night as the temperature drops and autumn sets in. I am finding their place of choice to sleep is here too, which, from past experience with my previous buns and friends, seems a little unusual. Being that my girls are both quite jumpy and nervous still, especially with things they don't know or strange noises, they seem to do the opposite of going to a safe snug place.

Unfortunately, I am unable to compare to last year, as due to their trust issues of humans, and following a brief fall out, my two buns came into our home for the winter to allow us to bond and keep an eye on them (don't worry- they had a whole bedroom to themselves -spoilt fluffs!!!)! They returned to the garden in April, and have been fine ever since.

Does anyone have any suggestions for encouraging the girls to move inside to a warmer/'safer' spot? Although the hutch and run is very secure, as is my garden, I also worry that should something get in the garden, they are most likely to freak out there too and be seen.

Pip enjoys spending time in the hutch rearranging her hay and paper, and Boo, well....she's Grumpy Boo- maker of mess, so it's not like they don't like it, it's just they tend to spend the majority of their time out in the run. I think I've also only seen them use the 'bedrooms' on a couple of occasions.

Any tips for a happy, snuggly bunny and to encourage them to use the hutch more? I've found carpet tiles helped a little inside (although I've had to put some outside too so they don't get a cold butt on the paving slabs)!

Becky

I've just got up and mine are sat outside in the run too - it's 4.8 degrees outside. They also did this all through last winter.
I wouldn't worry too much - they deal with the cold very well and have very thick winter coats. Also they have the choice, and I think rabbits who are well are not so stupid that they wouldn't move if they were uncomfortable. I would only be concerned maybe if I had a sick rabbit.

I don't think it would harm them to encourage them to go into a more secure sppot. Have you got a litter tray filled with hay in the hutch where they can sit and munch, also if you feed them in the hutch later on in the day you could then close the door. It's almost as if they are thinking of the hutch as a trap so are staying as far away from it as possible.

I let lots of bunnies out but they all come racing in for their food. :D

Apart from predators getting in, the on ly other thing I would worry about is if they were spending hours sitting on cold damp ground, so as winter is approaching I would want mine to be in a warmer environment overnight as wild rabbits have their warrens don't they?

Hiya- thanks for your quick response.

Their run is attached to the hutch, and as per an agreement with the rescue centre (which are as per the RWAF guideline :s) they should have 24/7 access to the run, so I'm a little dubious to close them in. although I fear that might be the only way. Trouble I have is if they don't like something or can't get somewhere, they will thump until they get what they want (this includes treats, attention, to get behind the sofa....rather than scared thumps).

Currently I place their feed, water etc inside the hutch. Their litter box plus hay is all inside too. They tend to go in, then just like to come out and sit and observe. strange little creatures :)!

Fortunately the run is completely water proofed too so they won't get wet- but I expect the slabs beneath them will get colder and colder. They do love the hutch, just they see it more to play and charge around in for some reason. I also have to be careful how set it up, as one of the buns seems go hate 'mess' - any bedding, hay straw etc in her way and she gets very frustrated and won't snuggle in it. She prefers the minimalist approach., so I can't even encourage her that way.

I think they just like to be awkward :)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In our damp and cold winters I can't agree - would you like a dog to be on the ground all winter?

I agree with you, but they must have sufficient exercise space. They should have the choice about where they want to be, not forced. This is as per the RWAF and their hutch is not enough campaign. I would like to reduce access at night, but not at the risk of causing them misery against RSPCA/RWAF/PDSA guidelines.

After all, this is why I have posted. Asking for advice on encouraging them indoors without force... :)

Last edited:
After all, it is night when Rabbits will be most active. Therefore would need most space.

I just find their behaviour of snoozing out in the open and in the coldest part a bit odd, and unlike any other rabbit I've had it looked after. It's not like they're unhappy- happiest little creatures I've ever come across!

This is what some people say but my rabbits are definitely not more active at night. We all sleep at night and play during the day. I think they learn to fall in with our routines and I am sure I have read that wild rabbits are in their burrows at night eating their cecals but come out at dawn and dusk. House rabbits don't sit out at night :) In the winter there is about 16 hours of darkness and cold but it really is your decision.

My two girls are outdoor rabbits, they're just over a year old and have been outside since they were born!

Over the coldest part of the winter they were separated due to age/hormones/spay so Sugar was in the outside hutch and run combo on her own! Her bedroom area was packed full of straw, which I assume she went in as the was a rabbit shaped hole in there when it was clean out day! She also had a hidey hut where she had a fleecy blanket and at night we would put in a heatpad!
Even in the snow the most popular places she would sit would be on the roof of the hidey hut, on the slabs by the front door or in her hay/litter tray!

From what I can work out rabbits know their own mind, as long as we provide plenty of options for them they will know best where they want to be for the time of day and the temperature! If they have been outside for a while then they will have more than sufficient time to grow their winter coats. My girls were 4/5 months old once it started getting chilly and were just fine!

Thanks Family Moose for your response! Feel much better knowing mine aren't alone!

The girls were inside for similar issues to yours- had a fight due to hierarchy issues and had to bonded (they were part of same litter so had never been apart before) . Kept them in so we could keep an eye on them! Very happy duo now though.

I've fortunately got a load of carpet tiles I've bought for them, so now they even have carpeted run area where they sit- hopefully that will help!

Back