• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help

Shelleywoo

New Kit
:?:?:?:?I have an indoor bunny 8 years old Daisy and an outdoor bunny Betty 6 years old. The outdoor bunny Betty had a mate but he recently died. I had tried bonding before but the male and my indoor bunny did not get along at all. I am now trying to bound my Betty (outdoor ) and daisy (indoor) to let them live together indoors. Did a couple of hours in a confined space - no fighting just sniffing. then spent a weekend in a neutral environment again no fighting my indoor bunny just seems to ignore Betty. So far they have not had any fights and initially there was some grooming however now my indoor bunny just keeps ignoring and avoiding Betty and coming to me for attention. In have brought Betty inside but she scratches to go back out and daisy avoids her. Should I persevere or accept they may be single bunnies?

I would imagine Daisy is used to being outside so feels strange indoors. Betty is probably set inher ways a bit so doesn't understand the point of having Daisy around but The fact that they haven't fought is a good sign but would Daisy settle indoors? Have you put them together in Betty's territory to ascertain if she would attack Daisy as this would give you some idea as to whether she would accept her in her own territory.

If daisy goes in the garden. Betty chases her back indoors but does not hurt her. Betty is laying on my rug with her legs out but it is like they are living separately. Betty goes near daisy and Daisy runs. They will eat together and let me stroke them together.

It sounds like they tolerate one another so there could be hope. It's probably a case of giving them time as they probably would like the companionship of another rabbit so little by little and one day you might find them sitting quite close together.

Thank you. I hope so as I do not want to see Betty out in the cold all winter on her own. Daisy is a bit spoilt and has had the run of the house and us!!!

Back