• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should i take this new bunny?

*Personally* I wouldn't take him much preferring to take Poppy to a rescue to allow her to choose her own mate.

BUT, if you have to space to keep him separately, should they not bond, and get both another partner, then take him.

It entirely depends on your own circumstances xx

Personally i don't want another bunny at all. However Poppy needs a husbun (apparently) despite the close bond i share with her and the bond she has with our dog and so she shall have another bunny.
If any boy bunny failed to bond with Poppy i would have to give it up to another home and continue to look for another male for her as we don't have the time/space for more than one set of bunnies.
I have looked for rescues around the cardiff area already, none have a male bunny (preferably neutered) that is Poppy's size or age or is suitable. They also don't offer bonding.
I didn't know i could take Poppy with me and let her 'pick'. How would i go about that?

Contact all your local rescues and ask if they offer a bonding service :)

I had Hettie pig from RSPCA Walsall and they even bonded my 2 piggies for me :)

Personally i don't want another bunny at all. However Poppy needs a husbun (apparently) despite the close bond i share with her and the bond she has with our dog and so she shall have another bunny.
If any boy bunny failed to bond with Poppy i would have to give it up to another home and continue to look for another male for her as we don't have the time/space for more than one set of bunnies.
I have looked for rescues around the cardiff area already, none have a male bunny (preferably neutered) that is Poppy's size or age or is suitable. They also don't offer bonding.
I didn't know i could take Poppy with me and let her 'pick'. How would i go about that?

I have to say I agree with Lily. You've said you can't house 2 set of bunnies if bonding fails (I totally get that by the way) but that means your bonding plan needs to be as solid as possible. If this buck had to be rehomed to somewhere else I don't feel that's fair - if he were from a rescue at least he'd return to somewhere familiar. For me my bunnies steal my hearts the moment they are in my care so you might struggle more than you think giving him up if he & Poppy weren't suited. I'd call all the rescues in your vicinity & ask them to bear you in mind for any youngish healthy neutered male. I'm big fan of letting bunnies have a 1st meeting, my bonds done this way have been really easy. You can tell a lot from that first meeting:)

Back