• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I keep picking up/cuddling my bunny?

VickyM_73

Young Bun
Hi there,

I was just wondering what everyone thinks about handling nervous bunnies. At the moment I have to give my nervous bunny antibiotics twice a day so he has no choice really. What I've noticed is, he's very still and let's me hold him in my arms and on my lap etc and stroke him but if I'm not holding him, he'll run away. He never comes up to anyone and runs away if anyone tries to stroke him. He's actually a little better with my 5year old, probably because she never tries to pick him up she just feeds him dandelion leaves!

His behaviour is particularly noticeable because he's totally different from our other bunny who is very friendly and almost always comes to say hello and have a nose (he's not too keen on being picked up etc.)

What I'd like to know really is, am I better off carrying on picking up and cuddling the nervous bunny, or is it better to leave him and hope he becomes less shy over time as he gets more used to us? Or is there another option. I don't like to think that it's torture for him and I'd prefer him to feel he can be around us and doesn't have to run away.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Vicky

Some rabbits don't particularly human company, but it doesn't sound like that's the case with your rabbit if they like your little sister. Your little sister hasn't tried to pick up your rabbit and your rabbit likes her - so what is she doing that your rabbit likes? She lets him come to her and gives him tasty treats!

So there's your answer, let your rabbit come over/ approach you in their own time and when they do approach you give them a tasty treat.

They may never enjoy a cuddle/ being picked up but they may still enjoy being with you.

Be patient and your rabbit will appreciate you for it :thumb:

Some rabbits don't particularly human company, but it doesn't sound like that's the case with your rabbit if they like your little sister. Your little sister hasn't tried to pick up your rabbit and your rabbit likes her - so what is she doing that your rabbit likes? She lets him come to her and gives him tasty treats!

So there's your answer, let your rabbit come over/ approach you in their own time and when they do approach you give them a tasty treat.

They may never enjoy a cuddle/ being picked up but they may still enjoy being with you.

Be patient and your rabbit will appreciate you for it :thumb:

Yes I had kind of come to that conclusion. Since his trip to the vet and all the handling that has been necessary since he has really become very reserved and hides away. He was coming out and eating with the other bunny with the girls sitting next to the bowl and even let them stroke him but now he hides away when anyone is near. its such a shame it wasnt the other bunny that needed medicine as he wouldn't have been affected quite so much. Of course it could be partly because he's in pain (he has a hematoma or something after being neutered - basically a swelling). For now I have to keep giving him medicine but I'm trying to do it as quickly and calmly as possible and then leaving him alone. Once its all finished and he's all better I'll go back to not picking him up at all and letting him come to us for treats etc. I think He'll always be a little afraid of me but hopefully he'll be more confident around the girls.

My newest bun is a little skittish and doesn't particularly enjoy being picked up. But offering food works brilliantly. When she chooses to come near me I give her a pellet and if i need to pick her up then as soon as she's in my arms I give her another pellet. Maybe when you pick up the bun to give him the antibiotics give him a piece of food and then give the medicine and then give another small piece of food afterwards, so he'll associate being picked up/ handled with receiving food. It's worked pretty well with mine anyway.
When his course of medicine finishes maybe don't pick him up for a few days but sit on the floor nearby and offer food when he comes near you. Then hopefully he'll think of you as the treat person rather than the scary person who picks him up

My rabbit hates being picked up after 4 years but she's happy to give me kisses on the floor and jump on my lap for a treat. Some rabbits just don't like it, also maybe your rabbit is associated being picked up with being giving medicine which isn't fun either! When Doughnut didn't like her medicine I put it on a bit of Weetabix so I didn't have to syringe feed her, she's on medicine she likes now so comes over and opens her mouth for it and I just pop it in.

Maybe lie on the floor with your rabbit and have a treat like a fenugeek crunchie, they are often nosy so will come over to investigate then have a little stroke and give a treat and gradually build up.

I tried giving treats when I picked him up etc. But he is literally paralysed and won't eat while being held or even stroked sometimes. Over the last couple of days I've tried to space the medicine fairly far apart and visited in between and not tried to pick him up. He doesnt seem to mind the medicine. I think its being held tgat bothers him but he doesnt struggle at all. I've also just quickly given medicine and then put him straight back (I was experimenting with bringing them inside for some time with us etc which the other one loved but he hated). He's seemed much better since yesterday. He came out and fed with the girls sitting nearby (I told them not the stroke him). He even let me give him some brocolli today without running away!!

I'm still trying to work out what works best. I guess he's had a stressful week what with two trips to the vet (he squeaked all the way there the first time). Got another vet appointment on Thursday. Hopefully all will be well and we can get back to normal.

It will take time, he probably thinks you're going to take him off to the vets or give him medicine every time he sees you! That's ok though, it'll just take a bit more time and patience to make him realise that you are there to play with and give him tasty treats! It can be frustrating when they don't love you as much as you love them at first, but it will happen :)

I'd put the meds on Weetabix so you don't have to pick him up since he hates it so much then build your bond up by lying on the floor with a treat for him.

We have two rabbit .. both girls, same litter. Our white one Bonnie I swear thinks shes a lap dog. She LOVES being stroked, handled, she will jump up to sit on your lap, licks all the time .. SUPER friendly. Our other one Bella hates being picked up .. its a struggle to catch her to put her back in the hutch .. shes figured as well if I try to offer a bit of fruit then shes going in the hutch .. so the little madam runs off!! She stamps her feet etc as well if you get close, she runs away if you attempt to stroke her. She will come over on her terms .. but then runs off when your hand moves to stroke her lol!! Any tips ???

Try spending time sitting on the floor not interacting with her and let her investigate you so that she knows you aren't going to pick her up every time you are near her. Then try offering her a pellet when she comes near you and hopefully after a while she'll realise that when you give her some food you're not going to pick her up every time. One of my girls doesn't enjoy being picked up or stroked very much but she'll come near me and sit on me and let me stroke her head once or twice because she now trusts that I'm not going to grab her every time she comes over to me.
Also if you do have to pick her up try to give her a piece of food straight away to reinforce the idea that being picked up isn't so bad.

Try spending time sitting on the floor not interacting with her and let her investigate you so that she knows you aren't going to pick her up every time you are near her. Then try offering her a pellet when she comes near you and hopefully after a while she'll realise that when you give her some food you're not going to pick her up every time. One of my girls doesn't enjoy being picked up or stroked very much but she'll come near me and sit on me and let me stroke her head once or twice because she now trusts that I'm not going to grab her every time she comes over to me.
Also if you do have to pick her up try to give her a piece of food straight away to reinforce the idea that being picked up isn't so bad.

Thank you!! I will try this!! :)

I've stopped giving medicine now and have only picked Theodore up when necessary (to go to get). He seems much better. I havent brought them inside for a play. He still steers clear of people most of the time but is okay with my youngest daughter. We give them their pellets at the same time everyday along with some greens and they seem to recognise this now as they both come running out for it. Theodore is much more cautious but he will let us stroke him while he eats (even me). We give them half in a bowl so the girls can sit with them and the other half I scatter about in their various hay sopts so they can find them later. Theodore even took some greens off me yesterday without running off so I'm hopeful we'll form some kind of bond.

The other one doesn't really like being picked up either really but he eats food of our laps and enjoys being stroked and then licks us back.

Back