• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help me please ! my rabbits will kill each other!!

asma

New Kit
Hello,
I Have 2 rabbits (female and male)which I adopted since they were 4 weeks old..
the male is spayed but female is not spayed (2 vets told me there is no need to spay her and spaying her may not solve the bonding problem )
after they became almost 5 months old. they started to fight much. and now I cant put them in same place or else they will kill each other.
what should I do ?? they are fighting for more than a month now ! and am really shocked ! they were best friends and suddenly they dont stop fighting! I tried many way to bond them but nothing worked !!
seeing them fighting makes me so sad.. specially that the female is injured now and I needed to take her to the vet which costed me almost 300 euro. please help me if you know .. I really don't want to keep only one of them ! I love them both.. i still have hope :(

I'm sure someone will come along soon with more experience and advice but they need to be separated as soon as you can, clearly they can't stay together if they are fighting to the point they are getting injured. Do you have two hutches?

Hello and welcome.

For the moment you need to separate them so no more harm can come to either of them. Preferably so they can still see/smell each other but cannot fight.

Females can be very territorial when not spayed so, personally, I would get her spayed as soon as possible. Vets will spay females at 6 months old.

Keep them seperate for a few weeks whilst she heals and then try the bonding again.

Good luck!

Females do need to be spayed. Both for bonding (usually) and for their health as about 80% of females over the age of three get uterine cancer. It sounds like her hormones are raging which is causing her to fight. Speak to some other vets about spaying and make sure they have experience neutering/spaying rabbits. Where are you located? I take it you're not in the UK?

Definitely separate them for now though. Then after she's spayed and has had a few weeks for her hormones to dissipate you can try bonding them again.

hello, thank you for your reply !!
yes I have 2 big cages.
I hope they will became friends again :(

I'm sure someone will come along soon with more experience and advice but they need to be separated as soon as you can, clearly they can't stay together if they are fighting to the point they are getting injured. Do you have two hutches?
yes I have 2 cages .. thank your for giving me hope ! I dunno why but it really makes me sad that they dont play together anymore.. I miss them being friends

Hello and welcome.

For the moment you need to separate them so no more harm can come to either of them. Preferably so they can still see/smell each other but cannot fight.

Females can be very territorial when not spayed so, personally, I would get her spayed as soon as possible. Vets will spay females at 6 months old.

Keep them seperate for a few weeks whilst she heals and then try the bonding again.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply ! since the female is a little weak. i will wait a little then I will spay her !

Females do need to be spayed. Both for bonding (usually) and for their health as about 80% of females over the age of three get uterine cancer. It sounds like her hormones are raging which is causing her to fight. Speak to some other vets about spaying and make sure they have experience neutering/spaying rabbits. Where are you located? I take it you're not in the UK?

Definitely separate them for now though. Then after she's spayed and has had a few weeks for her hormones to dissipate you can try bonding them again.

hello and thank you for your advice !
I live in Germany, The vet told me she is experienced in spaying female rabbits , and am planning to spay the female very soon. I hope it will work, so I guess I have to try to bond them after a month from now ..

hello and thank you for your advice !
I live in Germany, The vet told me she is experienced in spaying female rabbits , and am planning to spay the female very soon. I hope it will work, so I guess I have to try to bond them after a month from now ..

Welcome to the Forum, Asma :wave:

Sorry about your pair of rabbits. Having the female spayed will help with bonding - eventually it will quieten her down and help to make her less hormonally driven and perhaps less aggressive towards your male.

In my experience, male/female bonds work very well, so I'm sure they will be friends again :D

I would wait until your female is strong enough to u ndergo a neuter - are you sure it is a female as it sounds more like a boy! I hope you will be able eventually to get them back together.

Back