• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella and Toby bonding

Babybella

Warren Scout
My Bella and Toby have went off to be bonded on Tuesday. They were together from 8am on Wednesday, we had an update that night to say they had calmed down. Yesterday we were told the mounting had almost stopped and that they were now happy to sit next to each other.

We're hoping, all being well, that they will come home on Sunday. We have sprayed the whole hutch with a water and vinegar mixture to remove any scents and have also sprayed their wooden tunnels. We will be getting new litter trays, bottles and feeding bowls tomorrow.

I have a few questions about once they are home:

1. Our setup is a double hutch with run attached. I was wondering if we needed to restrict the area they are in together when they come home so they get used to their environment or whether we just open up the whole hutch and run to them?

2. Am I right in thinking that for any future vet appointments I need to take both so that one doesn't come back smelling differently?

3. If they aren't really meant to be separated to prevent the bond from being broken what do others do about handling their bunnies? Ours are used to being handled and we would bring them in, one at a time, for a short cuddle in the living room so just wondered if we need to change how we do this now?

When they come home I would keep them rtestricted to a smallish space for a few days as we know that changes can upset the bond. After a few days you can give them a little bit more space and so on until they have the whole of it. If you are taking them for vaccinations then they can travel together but if one needs to be admitted then it depends on whether your Vet allows them both to go.

It shouldn't upset them by picking one up at a time :) but don't forget about the problems a big change in temperature can produce. Unlike dogs and cats rabbits don't tolerate drastic temperature changes very well.

Thanks for your advice. I did think this would be the case. Was planning to let them just have the top part of the hutch initially, then open up both parts then eventually the whole thing with the run :)

Back