• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Levacide Drench for EC

Fellie

Warren Veteran
Bobo has been prescribed baytril and Levacide Drench to treat his EC.

Now I trust Trinity vets implicitly so not worried but very curious. ..I thought Panacur was used to treat EC.

Levacide is a worming treatment for cattle and sheep.

Has anyone else used Levacide?

I wasn't at vets when meds were given..Hubby collected them so I couldn't ask.

Can you give the vets a ring just for clarification.
We are all so used to hearing what the usual treatment is so anything different makes me want to know more as well :)

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Trinity do seem to use different treatments from the norm and obviously with success so will be very interesting to find out why not Panacur in this situation

This sounds interesting! Can't help but I'm really interested in any different treatments for EC.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Trinity do seem to use different treatments from the norm and obviously with success so will be very interesting to find out why not Panacur in this situation

It's really interesting!

Fenbendazole is not without it's side effects and maybe they know something that would potentially cause less problems?

Found out a bit more.
They use Levacide in conjunction with one dose on Program Dog Brown.
And Echinacea too.
Bobo is also on Baytril and metacam.
They find Levacide and Program Dog Brown works better at totally eradicating the parasite and eggs and don't use Panacur anymore.

Mark does like to do things differently and I like that.

Bobo will be retested in 28 days.

Will be interesting to see how it goes over the next 28 days.

Found out a bit more.
And Echinacea too.
They find Levacide and Program Dog Brown works better at totally eradicating the parasite and eggs and don't use Panacur anymore.

Excellent, Mark had said that Fenbendazole was becoming less and less effective quite some time ago. I mentioned it on here

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?431438-EC-Fenbendazole(-Panacur-etc)-Resistance

But I did not know that he'd found a different treatment protocol. I'll let C know and she may give Mark another call. Thanks for passing on the info xx

Lots of vibes for Bobo <3 I'm interested in what they're expecting at the retest, because I thought the presence of antibodies just showed that there had been an infection at some point. So maybe they're just expecting it to go down vs the initial test..?

Found out a bit more.
And Echinacea too.

I'm glad to hear of the use of Echinacea :thumb: I use it during these episodes too :)

What form of Echinacea do you use?
We tried the effervescent stuff but the buns won't touch it of course.

I fine grind the herb itself and feed it onto food.

Some people find using a herbal tincture easier.

Some rabbits eat it as it is - it's coneflower.

I gave them Coneflower last night actually...They love it so will stick to that.

Thank you[emoji2]

Bobo has been prescribed baytril and Levacide Drench to treat his EC.

Now I trust Trinity vets implicitly so not worried but very curious. ..I thought Panacur was used to treat EC.

Levacide is a worming treatment for cattle and sheep.

Has anyone else used Levacide?

I wasn't at vets when meds were given..Hubby collected them so I couldn't ask.

Sorry for dredging up old posts (and if no responses I will start a new thread). Our Floppy has just been prescribed Levacide, with the program tablet and advised to take Echinacea by Trinity. I was just wondering what to take. Do you think the Vogel tincture is ok, or ground up tablets, powder or dried Coneflower? They've suggested 1ml per kg from a 500mg formation, which implies tincture. I could phone the vets but I don't like to keep bothering them (one month of treatment so far for undefined infection, and a bunwife with a burst and now packed abcess!).

Regards,

Ian

Sorry for dredging up old posts (and if no responses I will start a new thread). Our Floppy has just been prescribed Levacide, with the program tablet and advised to take Echinacea by Trinity. I was just wondering what to take. Do you think the Vogel tincture is ok, or ground up tablets, powder or dried Coneflower? They've suggested 1ml per kg from a 500mg formation, which implies tincture. I could phone the vets but I don't like to keep bothering them (one month of treatment so far for undefined infection, and a bunwife with a burst and now packed abcess!).

Regards,

Ian
Gosh...this is an old one[emoji4]
I used dried cone flower...I saw Trinity had some in yesterday. All my buns love it anyway and it seems to do them good.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Regards,

Ian

I have used this

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/natures-...tkreBmeLdRY2xkbV_KTJk19vzL-HhbyRoC9ogQAvD_BwE

Regards,

Ian

Hi there Ian and welcome to the Forum :wave:

People often ask me what sort of echinacea to use, and there's several sorts. I remember Fellie using the coneflower - that's very good.

You can also use a herbal fluid extract:

https://www.baldwins.co.uk/baldwins-echinacea-angustifolia-herbal-fluid-extract/

If wanting a tincture it's a good idea to heat away the alcohol (in a teaspoon over a flame)

I personally open a capsule and put it onto food, and it's usually absorbed well that way.

Good luck :)

Thanks all. I can pop into Baldwins on may way home from work tomorrow (been wanting to go in their for years), seems the most natural option!

Back