• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do you bring outdoor bunnies inside?

VickyM_73

Young Bun
Hi there,

I just wondered whether anyone brings their outdoor bunnies inside in the evenings for cuddles etc. My 2 bunnies aren't keen on being held and tend to poo everywhere (at least outside they do). They are due to be neutered on Mon so obviously we'll be leaving them alone for a while after that to recover. I just wondered what other people do. I'm conscious that as it gets darker and colder we may spend less time with them and I don't always have a lot of time when my daughters spend time with them as I'm cooking tea etc.

Mine comes in, doesn't like cuddles but will sit on the floor and and let me pet him and enjoys being inside with us :)

As long as the temperature doesn't differ greatly from outdoors to indoors, which can be more difficult to replicate in these colder months, as rabbits can be very sensitive to temperature change and it can cause respiratory issues.

No, we leave them outside. They have only ever come indoors twice and both times were on medical/vet advice.

I'd be concerned, especially during winter when we have the heating on, that if it's really cold outside but warm indoors, they'd have their thick winter coats by then and bringing them indoors the heat would hit them like a hammer - just remember how you feel when you step off that plane when you go abroad. Except rabbits can't adjust like we can and they'd be very uncomfortable, even if it was only for a short period of time. Plus the sudden change in surroundings may confuse or frighten them. And who would you be doing it for, them or you? Just go out as often as you can. We go three times a day; morning, teatime and about 9pm and when pegging out washing (which will stop very shortly as our line won't get any sun soon) I'll peek in on them. I may pop in at lunch too but luckily I work from home as I'm self-employed so can go in and out at will. However, sometimes when I've gone in the shed I've actually disturbed their nap time and felt suitably guilty!

I bring both my rabbits indoors separately each evening for cuddles and then they go back outside for bed. This gets them used to being picked up and handled daily.
Could you bring them inside to recover from their neuters for a couple of days? If they are young could you bring them to live inside for a couple of months over winter, then you won't have to worry about them being too cold at night and you can spend time with them in the evenings? I know it's not always practical to have bunnies hopping around a busy house though!

Every night when I come home from work, we have 30 mins to an hour of cuddles/running/binkying in the lounge or conservatory, we always have windows open so it's not roasting hot.

Thanks for your replies. I think I will bring them in for a while after school run perhaps. At the moment they seem to poo EVERYWHERE in their runso I'm not sure I'd want them indoors all the time. The hutch wouldn't really fit either. I'm thinking a shed might be an option as its hard to spend time with them when it's raining etc.

I bring mine in most evenings for a short time, longer in summer when there's less of a temperature difference. Both love their cuddles. Bella recently stamped her foot when she was put back in, think she was happy being stroked and annoyed I'd decided it was her bed time :lol:

Ah, that's so funny babybella. I don't think mine like it that much. They are both very different though. I have to give one medicine at the moment twice a day so I thought I'd see how bringing them inside went. The one who has the medicine is quite a nervous unfriendly type of bunny really but when you pick him up he doesn't struggle at all and sits really quietly on your lap etc. And let's you stroke him but then as soon as you put him down he goes away and hides. The other one is very nosey and friendly but when you hold him he's a real fidget and won't sit still to be stroked and he struggles to be put down. He doesn't hide away though, a second later he'll climb all over me to see what I'm doing etc. I may do a separate thread on this actually as I'm unsure whether to keep picking up and holding the nervous one.

My bunny is a house bunny anyway so he's always indoors, but I absolutely think all bunnies deserve a bit of indoor run about /cuddle time, when the heating is on I'm very careful that Obi is coping with it, to be fair he'll often go and lie right by the radiators for a warm...he dozes off...I think if it means you get to spend more time with them it's a definite go for it from me. :)

When I had my two the only time they were brought indoors was when under advice e.g. due to neutering, mostly because I was worried about the temperature difference between the two. In fact, having the shed built was the best middle ground really - I got to sit with them, but without the temp change risk.

Yes jemjabella, I'm thinking a shed would be good. Over the last week I've brought them in a few times but I think my shy bunny was quite freaked out by it. I'm giving him medicine twice a day so have to bring him inside for that but over the last 2 days I've just brought him in quick and then taken him straight back and he seems much more himself (he even took food from me today!!). The other one is such a curious fellow, he loves exploring etc. It's a shame you can't just bring one in. I am still considering and indoor set up for winter but I'm just not sure we have the space. It would be lovely to be able to see them all the time though. An indoor hutch with access to an outdoor run would be good. Not sure my diy skills are up to it though!

Yes. I have 2 outdoor bunnies but they spend a lot of time indoors also. I love having them in. They are so amusing to watch. Our lounge is like a giant playground for them and they certainly make use of the floorspace!

Back