• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding my new bunny with my old, advise please :-)

Sammy&Patch

Warren Scout
Hi, I am looking for some advice on bonding bunnies.

I have had my female bunny, Sammy, for about 5 years. She was speyed when she was younger. I had her about a year before getting a male bunny friend for her, similar age. He was then neutered and we had quick success in bonding them. I didn't know exactly what I was doing but we kept them seperate but they could reach each other through a baby gate seperating 2 rooms. That rabbit was Patch and he was a nervous rabbit, he came from a good home before we got him, it was just his personality rather than anything making him scared. He was quick to be submissive to Sammy and they had a good relationship, funny thing was, he wouldn't groom her, just her groom him even though she was meant to be the boss! They used to snuggle together or lie near each other etc. They were happy bunnies :) However Sammy did start to get a bit food aggresive in the last month, going for him when it was rabbit nugget time, chasing him away, she was fine once she had started eating, then she didn't mind him eating from the same bowl. We tried seperate bowls but it was more the leadup to feeding rather than what bowl etc. She is a large rabbit and craves her nuggets, I had to cut back on them as she didn't used to eat enough hay but I think this makes her feel constantly hungry and has started this aggresion. They were still fine the rest of the time with each other. Anyway, unfortunately Patch was suddenly taken ill about a month ago and although the vets tried to save him, he had to be put down :-( Sammy seemed to be looking for him after he had gone, she was eating and drinking, toileting fine but seemed to be unsettled. We knew straight away that she would need a new friend.

Anyway, sorry for the long intro, I thought it might help to know the circumstances.

We went to the SSPCA for a new bunny friend but it took a while to get one as they had mainly females. We didn't get a chance to let Sammy decide which friend as where we live there wasn't a choice! We got a male called Gingerbread a week ago on friday. He had already been neutered and he is 4 years old. He is a fair bit smaller than Sammy. He is a lovely bunny with a good temperament. Fairly inqusitive, a bit nervous at times as everything is new but it doesn't stop him nosing around or coming up to be stroked.

The set up I have is a room and a large hallway seperated by a baby gate. They tried to bite at each other through it, or more so Sammy did as Gingerbread was nosing through. We put extra fencing inbetween so they can sniff through but not get each other. I have been swapping them over rooms every day for 7 days. One litter tray is in each room so they are both using both litter trays obviously depending which room they are in. There has been the odd dropping but pretty much they are both happy using either litter tray although I have noticed Gingerbread 'marking' it with his chin and other items around the rooms (which already smell of Sammy). I have been putting their food at either side of the gate, encouraging them to eat near each other. They both seem happy munching away as they know the other one can't get to them. One mishap was on the second day. It was Gingerbreads turn in the hallway and he seemed to want to go back in the other room. The baby gate has stopped Sammy getting out for years if I needed to shut her in one room. She has tried to get out by pulling at it but never ever tried to jump it, as she is bigger than Gingerbread I didn't even consider he might be able to jump it. I went away and came back not long later and couldn't find him. Sammy was lying down at the back of the room. I went in and saw some fur, and found Gingerbread lying about 3 feet away from her behind the dog basket. They were both breathing fast. I took him out and checked them both over, they were luckily both fine, just a small amount of fur.

I then built up the gate majorly high and added extra height so unless he is a super-rabbit he won't be getting over it again! I am worried that this mishap will ruin their chances of becoming bonded. I continued the swapping rooms daily, which is a week yesterday.

I decided today to try starting the proper introducing and will also continue swapping rooms. I took them to a smallish area neither of them have been, I took Gingerbread first abotu 30 seconds ahead of Sammy, as I read it is best to let the male go in the are first as they are less territorial. I then out Sammy in the same area. I had boxing gloves on my hands in case I needed to put my hands between them. My partner had a couple of pans to clatter which someone suggested if they start to fight, make a noise to try to stop them. It was a promising start, they both were nosing around, past each other taking no notice of each other at all. They were probably like this for about 2-3 minutes. They did the odd sniff at each other. Then Sammy decided to 'mount' Gingerbread. I also read that this was ok to allow for a very short time, like 5-10 seconds but no longer, as they have to establish dominance. I allowed it for about 5 seconds then pushed her off him. He was not happy and then went for her, I seperated them and he went for her again, she then escaped off up the stairs so we left that session at that!

I was going to try the same again tomorrow, for 5-10 minutes and keep doing that for a few days and see how it goes, along with swapping their rooms each day.

I would like advice on if any of the way I am doing it seems like a bad idea, or something better might be appropriate, and whether any of the signs they are showing are good or bad as to wether this might work. I could continue with the swapping rooms for a bit longer without the bonding session but I don't know what is best. I have heard of the method in the car but I am petrified that as soon as they are put in a cage together they would rip each other apart. When Gingerbread went for Sammy, banging the pans didn't stop them, I had to get between them with the boxing gloves so I am worried that fear might not stop a fight in them. I would also like to know what people think about letting Sammy mount Gingerbread yet or maybe I should have stopped that until a later session when they know each other better. I was encouraged by Sammy being dominant rather than aggresive but am concerned that Gingerbread might not accept being the 'underdog' and I know Sammy so well that there is no way she will let someone else be the boss! I guess they have to have one as the boss? After the session, Sammy went away sulking and Gingerbread was acting as if nothing had happened. He seems to be coping with a new home and Sammy being around much better than she is. I thought he would be hiding away etc but it is as if this has been his home all along.

Thanks for any help, tips or advise

I have found the best way to bond rabbits is to basically pop them in a neutral space together then leave them together unless they are fighting. They can then sort themselves out and start settling down with each other. Try to keep them in this space for a few days before changing anything. When Gingerbread jumped into Sammy's room were they fighting then? It's a shame you just didn't leave things as they were and by now they might be on the road to being bonded. Otherwise you seem to know what you are doing so you either go for it or keep separating them although we feel this tends to set them back each time you separate them. Hope you have success.

I have found the best way to bond rabbits is to basically pop them in a neutral space together then leave them together unless they are fighting. They can then sort themselves out and start settling down with each other. Try to keep them in this space for a few days before changing anything. When Gingerbread jumped into Sammy's room were they fighting then? It's a shame you just didn't leave things as they were and by now they might be on the road to being bonded. Otherwise you seem to know what you are doing so you either go for it or keep separating them although we feel this tends to set them back each time you separate them. Hope you have success.

Thanks for the reply. I did consider leaving them when Gingerbread jumped in but as there was some fur they must have had some sort of fight and I get the feeling that they didn't carry on as Gingerbread was kind of hiding and Sammy couldn't get to him easily. I got the impression she was waiting for him to come back out and they were both breathing really fast and were uptight. As it was only the second day we had him, I didn't think I could be that lucky that it could work that quickly and was worried Sammy would get him again, it was a bit of his fur that was there. I will try neutral space again tomorrow and see what they are like and take it from there. Fingers crossed!

We did another bonding session today, it was ok at first, both looking around, near each other. Then Gingerbread kept putting his head down towards Sammy. They sat face to face for about 30 seconds Sammy sitting up, Gingerbread head down. Neither moved. Then Sammy turned away. Gingerbread kept sniffing Sammy but she was just interested in trying to get out. Then he put his head down again and she tried to mount him front ways, I pushed off off quickly, then he went for her and they started to fight, I pushed them apart and they tried again. Then Sammy tried to get out again and we ended the session. Any ideas? I would leave them longer together but they just want to fight. Is this something that might improve with time and getting to know each other more. Sammy was really stressed out afterwards again, Gingerbread was pretty much ok. I am worried Sammy will have a heart attack or something, she was breathing so fast again. Thanks

Some rabbits have about a 3 second fight then they stop or I tell them to. This is how they sort out who is going to be boss. I wouldn't stop them as soon as they start fighting, but count up to 3 and hopefully one of them will back down. I always have bits of food to distract them or tunnels, lots of hay. It's usually the girls which spoil the bonding!

Some rabbits have about a 3 second fight then they stop or I tell them to. This is how they sort out who is going to be boss. I wouldn't stop them as soon as they start fighting, but count up to 3 and hopefully one of them will back down. I always have bits of food to distract them or tunnels, lots of hay. It's usually the girls which spoil the bonding!

Thanks, I didn't know that about the fighting, I will do what you suggest and do the 3 seconds. I also didn't know about distractions, I will try some food and tunnels etc like you suggest. I have been reading so many different ideas about bonding I am pretty confused!!! What do you find the best way of stopping a fight? I have read different suggestions, water spray bottle, noise, tennis racket between them? I tried the noise but it didn't stop them. I have just used my hands with boxing gloves on to protect from bites and scratches, seems to work as I can seperate them quite easily but I dont' know if that is ok to do that way? Thanks for your help, it is appeciated :)

Today we tried again with the bonding, we brought them both to the neutral ground, we had taken in a tunnel, hay, grass and a couple of toys. They lasted a couple of minutes, they put their faces towards each other then Sammy went for Gingerbread. He went back for her and they got into a fight rolling around fighting, I counted to 3 but it didn't stop so I moved them apart. They were both agitated. After a few minutes they both settled down away from each other, Gingerbread laying flat with legs out behind, Sammy was more hunched up but sitting down. They were both breathing very fast. After about 5 minutes Sammy got up, she sniffed Gingerbreads foot. Then he got up and I think Sammy went for him first, I started to count to 3 again as they were in a ball fighting, but Gingerbread made a horrible squealling noise so I quickly stopped them. There was quite a lot of pulled out fur both times. we put them both back away, Sammy dissapeared off hiding for a long time before eventually coming out to have some food. Gingerbread seemed to 'recover' again quicker, he went straight to the litter tray and lay down in it and then came for some food. However, he did seem a bit more jumpy than I had seen him before.
I am worried it is upsetting Sammy so much when the reason to get a new friend is to try to make her happy again after losing Patch. I am also worried that Gingerbread has such a lovely temperament and I don't want to spoil this by upsetting him and maybe changing this loving temperament. I am happy to continue and try but I am not sure if these signs suggest it is a bad match? Any opinions would be great, thankyou.

I find that if the female doesn't want to be friendly it is very difficult. She is on her own territory so this could be making it harder for her to accept a new rabbit. If this happens with me I give up because most bonds go quite well. I can't give any more advice. I think it's Fat Fluffs which do a lot of bonding, maybe give them a ring to see what they might suggest. Let us know if you get any useful tips! Hoping you do get them together eventually. Maybe you will have to do a long bond, I've never done one but it can work.

I find that if the female doesn't want to be friendly it is very difficult. She is on her own territory so this could be making it harder for her to accept a new rabbit. If this happens with me I give up because most bonds go quite well. I can't give any more advice. I think it's Fat Fluffs which do a lot of bonding, maybe give them a ring to see what they might suggest. Let us know if you get any useful tips! Hoping you do get them together eventually. Maybe you will have to do a long bond, I've never done one but it can work.
thanks for all your advice, I would love it to work, I will try contacting them like you suggest. I will keep swapping rooms for the time being and maybe try again in a week hoping things will improve. I think he would bond with her if she would let him. I think you might be right about it already being her terrotory as her smell is probably everywhere in the house, even in the neutral area where she had never been, I expect we have trodden her smell everywhere. Thanks :)

Have you tried introducing them into a neutral area? Even if she has been there before you can clean in the ordinary way and then spray and wipe white vinegar and water mixture around the area to neutralise her odour. Plus if you have any toys/litter tray etc either use new ones or neutralised ones so that she doesn't want to claim them. Good luck:)

Have you tried introducing them into a neutral area? Even if she has been there before you can clean in the ordinary way and then spray and wipe white vinegar and water mixture around the area to neutralise her odour. Plus if you have any toys/litter tray etc either use new ones or neutralised ones so that she doesn't want to claim them. Good luck:)

Hi, yes the neutral area we tried is half way up the stairs there is a large-ish area that she had never been on before. I think she was going to accept him when she was mounting him but unfortunately he didn't like it and went for her. They are wary of each other now and she especiallly is just ready to fight now. I didn't try bonding again today. Through the bars inbetween the 2 rooms they have been putting their heads through to try to get to each other a couple of times and one or other of them then seems to try to nip the other (but can't quite reach). Maybe this will die down if I continue swapping them over the next week and let them settle a bit again and perhaps trust each other a bit more, then try a bonding session again :)

Back