• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

WW: Forage Photo Competition

IMG_0696_zpsuxb1nunp.jpg

Thanks for all the entries, I hope the bunnies enjoyed posing for the pics :lol:

I'll get the buddies/mods to pic the winners tomorrow :D

Ah Joey u had me bursting out laughing at ur comment !! Poor grammar - I guess I just posted exactly how I would say it !! Wonder which accent u chose??!! Imagine it with my Northern Ireland accent!! Aw thanks for the pics they are really really helpful. Good to see the full tree and the berries! I think there r Hawthorne trees near me actually or I think my mum might have one. It would be good to add another item to the list.

Nickbunny- you have me talking in a most peculiar accent with your "does there be berries on it":lol: Sometimes I think is the answer, i don't always spot them but some hawthorn grow massive
IMG_1012_zpsysgmbo14.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1006_zpswqslnvpg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Some photos for you & Ra:)
I had to use my flash so the leaves don't look as dark on the close up shot as they actually are. My photography isn't great either, nonetheless..

Thanks for taking the time to post, there is a massive forest near my house!! I must go and explore.

Ah Joey u had me bursting out laughing at ur comment !! Poor grammar - I guess I just posted exactly how I would say it !! Wonder which accent u chose??!! Imagine it with my Northern Ireland accent!! Aw thanks for the pics they are really really helpful. Good to see the full tree and the berries! I think there r Hawthorne trees near me actually or I think my mum might have one. It would be good to add another item to the list.

Norfolk :lol::lol:

& you're very welcome. There are loads which is fortunate as my bunnies decimate loads every day

Hawthorn is covered in masses of white blossom in the spring, so don't let that confuse you! But it's easy to identify because the leaf shape is really distinctive, and it's a great one to know because so many rabbits seem to love it.

Hawthorn blossom is also known as May, and that's where the old proverb "Cast no clout til May be out" comes from. Rather than meaning "don't discard your winter clothes until the end of May (the month)", it actually means "don't discard your winter clothes until the hawthorn flowers".

Some of my gardening friends use it as a way to decide when to sow or plant out certain vegetables - hawthorn blossom means there's unlikely to be another frost that spring.

End of hawthorn trivia lesson! ;)

Just be careful not to get 'pricked' by hawthorn...it can be a bit spikey. Take some gloves.

Oh yes, it does have great big spikes! They are well spaced out though (not like brambles) so if you hold the stems between your fingers you can avoid them pretty easily. Just don't grab a handful with your fist!

Oh yes, it does have great big spikes! They are well spaced out though (not like brambles) so if you hold the stems between your fingers you can avoid them pretty easily. Just don't grab a handful with your fist!

Don't forget to take the berries off though :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't forget to take the berries off though :thumb:

Good point. I tend not to think about that because I collect from a bush in my garden that I pruned really hard after flowering - it's grown a lot of new shoots which don't have flowers or berries and I've been using those.

Hawthorn berries are good mixed with other berries in a "hedgerow" jam, if you like making jam!

I know I've seen this too late for the competition but thought I would post anyway. This was what I collected Saturday. The white sack is full of apple branches :)

bbb4b864483aa4cfe7453cf84a4f3075.jpg

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I know I've seen this too late for the competition but thought I would post anyway. This was what I collected Saturday. The white sack is full of apple branches :)

I think that might last my two tiny Nethies about four months!

Good going there. ;)

Oooooh tasty!!

That's about a week's worth here.... :lol:

Back