• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Un-neutered male - Normal?

MissSherwood89

Mama Doe
Last Sunday we acquired our first un-neutered male and I'm having a little trouble distinguishing between 'normal' male behaviour or whether there's actually a problem that needs a vet visit.

A little background - He's about 2 years old, always lived outside as far as I know, was living with another bunny but they were separated when it was found that "he" was actually a she (no babies though, thankfully). As said, he's been with us just over a week, seems to be settling in nicely, very chilled little boy.

The one big problem we're having is that he pees literally all over the floor - We've already thrown out his rug as he completely soaked it and it was stinking the house out (MIL was blaming the poor cats! :lol:) So now he's on fleece blankets and puppy pads. He did use his litter tray at first but mostly went on the floor, so we gave him another tray which he also uses but now the first one is completely dry :?

So far we've been forgiving the constant peeing as it's a new home and a completely different environment to where he was. He was vaccinated on Wednesday so we're giving him a few weeks before going back to be neutered. We've noticed he always does a small wee whenever one of us goes in his room, as we've never had an un-neutered bun before we have no idea if this is normal or not :? I'm umm-ing and ahh-ing over a taking him to the vet (stupid really as I know that if I'm really worried I should take him anyway :oops:), secretly hoping he'll calm down as he settles in more (even more-so once his bits are off!) but I just don't know how much more pee I can clean up every day! :shock:

ETA: Should also point out that none of this was mentioned when he was brought to us, but I can only think that if he was like this in his last home it went un-noticed because he was outside.

Last edited:
If he was outside in a hutch he may never have been litter trained. Some unneutered bucks are really clean, the best really, but others never get the idea, so it's so hard to say. I suppose the best way would be to confine him in a pen with a litter tray and see what happens then.

Back