• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Re-bonding after 2 months apart

BrummieEm

Young Bun
I have two buns who are just over 5 and have been together since birth, they are male and female. A couple of months ago my female bunt flystrike and thankfully recovered from it. However, i had her in a separate hutch indoors since then whilst she recovered and her wound healed. I have also been paranoid about putting her back out in the summer. She recently also had urine burn so again i've delayed putting them back together. They've had some contact in this time - been in a pet carrier together, had a little run around together but it stressed me out as the female acted strangely. He's always been the dominant one but she was chasing and humping him! They've had some time in the hutches next to each other so could see and probably smell each other. I really want to get them back to being with each other -where do I start? Will they remember each other?! They've always been great together - i think! Although the male constantly humps the female (maybe she's better off without him!?!) but it's not ideal keeping them separately. A bit of advice would be really great! thanks :D :)

You would have to reintroduce your 2 bunnies in a neutral area. Is the female spayed? as I don't understand why the male rabbit keeps humping her after all these years. It is hard to say if she would be better off on her own but as they have been together for a few years then I would try to get them back with one another.

Yes the female is spayed. He did it all the time, but there was always a lot of love for each other. I will give them a go in a neutral area and see what happens!

If they are ok together try not to return them to the female's hutch as she might get all territorial. Hope they are OK.

Back