• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Humping [apart again]

Do you mind me asking why you got two young male rabbits? Seems like a lot of hard work for you :?

You mean, as opposed to an already-bonded male-female pair?

I guess, selfishly, I specifically wanted Nethies. I love their personalities and the way they look. I did consider the idea of a rescue pair (and I'll certainly think about that for future rabbits) but there were a few reasons why I decided not to in the end - I wanted Nethies in a colour that wasn't black otter so they didn't painfully remind me of my old rabbit, the idea of a home visit from a stranger who would judge me made me very anxious, and I was worried that I'd fall in love with one of a pair but the other would hate me.

I could have got a young male and female, but they would definitely need separating, and for longer than two bucks.

Yes, it's stressful, and it's going to be hard work. But hopefully things will go well with the rebonding after the neuter, and if not we'll consider a couple of rescue girls to form two pairs.

You mean, as opposed to an already-bonded male-female pair?

I guess, selfishly, I specifically wanted Nethies. I love their personalities and the way they look. I did consider the idea of a rescue pair (and I'll certainly think about that for future rabbits) but there were a few reasons why I decided not to in the end - I wanted Nethies in a colour that wasn't black otter so they didn't painfully remind me of my old rabbit, the idea of a home visit from a stranger who would judge me made me very anxious, and I was worried that I'd fall in love with one of a pair but the other would hate me.

I could have got a young male and female, but they would definitely need separating, and for longer than two bucks.

Yes, it's stressful, and it's going to be hard work. But hopefully things will go well with the rebonding after the neuter, and if not we'll consider a couple of rescue girls to form two pairs.

I have always found bonding neutered Bucks to be much more straightforward than any other combination. It is a complete myth that NEUTERED Bucks are unlikely to get on. Over the years I have had numerous B/B pairs, some siblings, some not. With neutered Bucks it is far more personality than gender that determines if a pair are suited. The same does not apply if trying to bond 2 spayed Does. That can work, but it is the least likely to be successful and the bond, if it occurs, can be fragile.

As you have now separated the boys before anything major kicked off there is absolutely no reason why, in a few months time, they cant become best buddies. I would not attempt to rebond them until about 4-6 weeks AFTER their op'. Their hormones will need to settle down first.

In the meantime we need lots of photos of them as they are growing up :D

ETA- a few of my glad to be gay boys :love:

William and Leo

013-26.jpg

007-37.jpg

After we lost Leo I bonded William with Declan

034-4.jpg

Ronan and Jack

rabbits234.jpg

Fred and Nomad

012-22.jpg

Harry and Murphy

Rabbits001-1-2.jpg

Last edited:
I have always found bonding neutered Bucks to be much more straightforward than any other combination. It is a complete myth that NEUTERED Bucks are unlikely to get on. Over the years I have had numerous B/B pairs, some siblings, some not. With neutered Bucks it is far more personality than gender that determines if a pair are suited. The same does not apply if trying to bond 2 spayed Does. That can work, but it is the least likely to be successful and the bond, if it occurs, can be fragile.

As you have now separated the boys before anything major kicked off there is absolutely no reason why, in a few months time, they cant become best buddies. I would not attempt to rebond them until about 4-6 weeks AFTER their op'. Their hormones will need to settle down first.

In the meantime we need lots of photos of them as they are growing up :D

ETA- a few of my glad to be gay boys :love:

William and Leo

013-26.jpg

007-37.jpg

After we lost Leo I bonded William with Declan

034-4.jpg

Ronan and Jack

rabbits234.jpg

Fred and Nomad

012-22.jpg

Harry and Murphy

Rabbits001-1-2.jpg

Oh Jane, your boys are so lovely, and they look so happy. Thanks for showing me it can be done!

I really hope mine can be great friends like that, as they've had 10 weeks of getting on so well.

I guess it's hard to assess personality properly until their hormones settle down after the neuter. I hope they aren't both going to be stroppy dominant types. Until now I think Nemesis has mostly been more dominant except when it comes to the food dish, where Meeple's in charge! I'm wondering if there have been subtle behavioural changes that I'm not experienced enough to detect yet - perhaps Meeple demanding grooming recently was what prompted Nemesis to hump him, and the humping was what made Meeple chase and pull Nemesis's fur. A sort of dominance struggle chain reaction, if you like.

I'm really trying hard to understand them - I don't feel I've had chance to get to know them that well in the two weeks they've been here and I've never kept two rabbits together before so their interactions and dynamics are unfamiliar to me. I think they are both a bit unsettled after the spat last night, poor things.

On the bright side though, it gives me some time to bond with each of them without the other interfering so much.

Back