• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Skittish Netherland Dwarf

Smeagol

New Kit
Hello. I've recently obtained a Nethie Dwarf, female and 13 weeks old. I positively love her, but I'm not so sure about vice versa. She's skittish like most Nethies (Thank you, Hattie and Xiao Hei), but also lethargic and antisocial. I tried most bonding activities, nothing works. Aside from a game of ball, Dobby (Despite being a female, I know, I know) often lies in a corner and occasionally digs furiously. She runs away when I try to pick her up to add in the water canteen, et cetera, and hates being touched. I'm concerned that I'm doing something wrong. Am I?

:wave: how long have you had her? I'd let her settle in first.
I've just brought my bunny home yesterday, she's 8wks today :) She's settled in really well, but she is quite skittish too, i think it's to be expected when there unsure of there surroundings and being babies, I'm no expert though. Martha let's me stroak her but does run away when she knows shes going to be picked up, but i just pet her first and she is getting better and its only day two! once I've picked her up shes fine with having kisses and cuddles (sometime she tries to get down, but that's just her curiosity getting the better of her!) If you handle them everyday they will get used to it and be fine :)

I let Martha out earlier in an area big enough for me to sit in and then just let her come to me in her own time and she did :) I think it would be a good idea to do this with your bunny. And when she comes up to you give her a little stroak if she wants a fuss. If she isn't eating though i would definitely take her to the vets!

Martha lies in the corner of her cage and goes to sleep. Under her water bottle hah.

Thanks, Shardy! Speaking of, Dobby hasn't any serious diet changes or health issues (Checked yesterday), but she's not eating much. I've had her for 4-5 days now.

Thanks, Shardy! Speaking of, Dobby hasn't any serious diet changes or health issues (Checked yesterday), but she's not eating much. I've had her for 4-5 days now.
Oh, I'm no expert see, so not sure on what to recommend really, the other members will know more. Has she been eating any hay and has she been pooping at all?? I know my Martha is a piggy, just had to feed her just now! If you are concerned I would definitely take her to the vets.

She's only defecated once in the last five hours, bit concerned. I'll give Dobby time to adjust, she's developed a 'litter corner' and a 'sleeping corner' already.

Martha hadn't pooped for about that long when I brought her home, and the vet said when I told her at her health check that if she hadn't pooped later that day to bring her back next day, but she said she could feel her poos in her stomach when she was examining her. luckily she had done a poo later that day :) she how she is tomorrow and if she is still the same it's worth just nipping her down and getting her checked out.

Not popping is a concern so if she's not eating and not pooping she'll need to see a vet. I'd watch her closely to see what seeing eating/pooping but try to avoid interacting with her otherwise.

Moving home is stressful for a rabbit so what you'll need it time. It can take at least a couple of weeks for them to feel at home.

Don't overwhelm her. Just spend time in the same space as her but not interacting. Let her come to you in her own time... that might mean sitting there quite a few times without her coming near you before she works up courage.

Thanks, Tasmin! I think it's probably stress, but it's gotten better. I usually sit near her hutch and read a book. Well, at least I made some progress today. Played a few more games of ball and Dobby now wants to find out what Shiny White Screen is - thankful for the screen protector on my iPad.
EDIT
During play-time, she occasionally nips me. I've heard they're warning nips, playful nips, I-Want-Salt nips, I-Am-Salty nips, etc. All kinds of stuff. What are the bites for?

Back