• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tips on bonding

VickyM_73

Young Bun
Hi there,

I'm new on here and new to owning rabbits (well I had 2 rabbits separately as a child - I've never owned a pair before). I have lots of questions to ask about my 2 rabbits, Theodore and Carrot, but the main thing that is troubling me at the moment is the bond between them.

They are both males who were kept together at the pet shop. They are around 4 months old. They have been fairly amicable although one is obviously more dominant and the other would move out of his way. We've had them 2 weeks now and they've been getting along fine grooming etc, but not really lying too close to each otehr. We have them set up in a hutch outside with a permenant run attached to the side that they can get in any time. We also have another run that we let them out in when we are around. We (myself and 2 daughters) sit in there to feed them. It has no cover which is why we don't let them in when we're not there.

Anyway, during the night they managed to push the hutch door open and get out into the pen. Unfortunately I had drap a tarpauline over the hutch and it blocked their way back in. When my husband came down in the morning they were chasing around like lunatics and tumbling/fighting. Theodore is the dominant one and he's quite a nervous bunny who likes to hide so I THINK he just got very stressed so chased the other one. We've no idea how long they were out there but there was no obvious major damage. However, carrot seemed very scared of Theodore and ran away every time he came near (even though to me he did't look like he was attacking once he was safely in his home). Carrot sat away from Theodore, where he couldn't been seen and every time theo came close he ran off.

I read about bonding online and decided that I needed to limit the space so that carrot couldn't run away and hide so he'd see that theodore wasn't attacking him. I confined them to the bottom part of the hutch and kept watch. All seemed to be well. After an initial jumpy nervous start (from Carrot mostly), they both snuggled down in their bed together. I saw a little grooming. I later opened up the top part of the hutch as I was too nervous to leave them unattended in such a small space. but I've kept the run closed off so they are limited to the hutch. Carrot immediately went upstairs out of the way so I think he's still afraid of theodore.

That was all yesterday evening. Today they are still in the hutch only with the top open. Carrot spent most of the morning at the top but I've just noticed that they are both snuggled up in the same bed again so I think its all okay. I've never seen any deliberate nastiness from Theodore (apart from the chasing mentioned above), I just think Carrot is a little wary.

Anyway, I do have a question. Sorry for the long introduction. They are not currently neutered. I realize it is important to do this. I have an appointment for 14th sept. Should I try to move this closer? Not sure its possible really but I can try.

Another question when they are neutred should I travel there with them in the same transport box. The shop put them in separate boxes when I bought them. Is this better? Also will the vet keep them together in the same cage etc. Should I ask them to?

Any ideas or advice gratefully received. Sorry for the waffly post and jumble of questions.

Hi there and welcome to the forum. The fact that your 2 boys were fighting the other morning means that they could fight at any time and boys can injure one another. So it would be better if you could bring the castration date forward to hopefully save any bad accidents or ruin the bond they already have. There is no guarantee though that after being neutered you will be able to successfully bond them. They will need to be kept apart for a few days at least to allow the wounds to heal. Then after a couple of weeks you can reintroduce them in a neutral area. I think it would be too risky to keep them together straight after their operation.

You can use the same carrier or separate ones. I don't think it will make any difference, and I don't think they will be able to stay together at the Vets as the Vet will need to monitor input/output and can't do that properly when together.

From what you say there does seem to be a bit of unease between them as most boys do fight around the 3-4 month mark, but you may be lucky and be able to keep them together once they are well over their neuter. I hope so.

Thanks for your reply.

They can't move the appointment any closer so for now I'm keeping an eye on them. They seem to be getting on okay. Carrot is still a little nervous though but I dont' think Theodore is being aggressive. Carrot sometimes runs away in a panick but its when Theodore is just have a general gallop about rather than chasing. Carrot also goes up to theodore begging for grooming and then a few seconds later when Theodore starts he runs off. When there in the hutch there isn't really so much room to run about so they seem to get on okay then. I would like to leave the run open for them permenantly though but I'm a bit afraid to. I'm cleaning out the cage today so I put the run somewhere different and put them in it and they both seem a lot calmer.

There seems to be so much conflicting information out there my head is spinning. Some websites say don't split them up when neutered, some say you have to wait 3 weeks. To be honest I'm quite cross with pets at home for selling me two males without explaining the implications of bonding etc. and that I may end up having to house them separately. I researched hutches and breeds and when I first went in to ask, they said you have to have 2 and that is was best if they were neutered but the didn't mention anything about the possiblity of them not getting on. No wonder so many people give up on rabbits. Misinformation!! If I had known I would have got a male and a female pair, or a rabbit and a guinea pig. At least I would have had a better idea what to expect. I even rang the vet I used for my cat to ask for recommendations and they said go to pets at home. They also said I should get them neutered but they didn't stress the urgency so I thought I'd let them settle in for a while.

Not sure what I'll do if they don't get on. I dont' really want 2 lonely bunnies!

They've sold 2 boys to my brother last week as well (different shop). They said I should get them neutered but they didn't stress the urgency so I thought I'd let them settle in for a while. They can't move the appointment any closer so for now I'm keeping an eye on them.

Back