• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom pregnancy

TheTigerThief

Warren Scout
So I'm pretty certain that Petra is experiencing a phantom pregnancy right now, she's been very busy building her nest and pulling her fur out, getting protective of her nest, ect.. I know I pretty much just have to let her ride this out, but I'm having a bit of an issue supplying them with hay. Usually they have access to unlimited hay all the time, but Petra keeps taking most of it to build her nest. Whenever I check on them, there's only ever scrappy bits of hay left which are sometimes soiled. Of course Cleo, River and André won't eat this hay, so I'm finding myself topping their hay up really frequently. I don't want the other three missing out on too much hay since it's the major part of their diet, obviously, so is there anything else I can supply Petra with to build her nest? Do I just give an extra large helping of hay to them? Also, how long do these phantom pregnancies usually last?

I have a bunny called Petra too!!

I originally had her mum and dad. When Tallulah had phantom pregnancies I would give her loads of hay and ripped up newspaper (I ripped them into strips) and she would use that and pull less fur out x

I have a bunny called Petra too!!

I originally had her mum and dad. When Tallulah had phantom pregnancies I would give her loads of hay and ripped up newspaper (I ripped them into strips) and she would use that and pull less fur out x

Petra suits bunnies, doesn't it? :D I'll try giving her some shredded newspaper, hopefully she'll use some of that. Thanks!

The shredded newspaper idea is great.
Since you are sure it is a phantom pregnancy, I will presume she is spayed and/or the boys are neutered. If she is not spayed, I highly recommend having her spayed due to the high rate of uterine cancer in pet rabbits.
Several years ago I had an unspayed female who started to get phantom pregnancy's. She was near, not with, and intact male. She did it multiple times before she was spayed.

Back