• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Brother Bunnies Fighting.

I was given two baby bunnies at the end of April as a belated birthday gift. My parents were told they were both boys but after about a month and a half they started beating the **** out of each other. A little trip to the vet later and suddenly we had bunny brothers rather than bunny sisters!

As soon as they were old enough they were both neutered and following the vets advice we kept them separate for a week to allow their hormones to dissipate.

Since this time we've been trying to reintroduce them by exercising them together for shirt bursts under supervision. However after two months they still can't manage more than a few minutes together. The larger rabbit is exceptionally aggressive and even now, despite the fact they have been completely separate for about a week, he is showing what we have been advised by a local rabbit breeder is territorial behaviour. He was litter trained but now wont use his tray, he's trying to bury his food and perhaps ore importantly and worryingly he keeps charging at the corners of his exercise run.

I really don't want to give either of my boys away, but I am at my wits end. If it would be better for them both I will rehome the larger rabbit.

What should I do?

I rescued 2 lop brothers, both neutered. Everything was fine for a couple of months, when one of them (Reggie) turned on the other (Ronnie) and almost bit his ear in half!!! After a hefty vet bill, I reluctantly rehomed Reggie as I didn't want to go through the stress of having to watch them constantly. Both boys were great with my Dutch girls.

Is there a reason you have to have them together? I would have expected it to take longer than a week for hormones to dissipate. I recall hearing they are more likely to be territorial if they are confined to a smaller space.

Back