• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding Behavioural Problems

Figit_14

New Kit
Hi there,

I am very new to forums but was looking to see if anyone shared a similar problem or had any advice. My female bunny is 8 years old and has over the last year been in and out of the vets with a reoccurring cystitis problem, which has only recently settled down after eliminating fresh green vegetables altogether from her diet, as we think the high calcium content is the cause and so far it has worked. However since her last reoccurrence with cystitis in May she has gradually become disinterested in her nuggets to the point she is merely eating them and becomes easily bored with food. One day she loves something and the next she doesn't touch it, however she is eating her hay. I feel that this may be a behavioural issue as I regularly check her teeth and they are in good condition but I have never come across this before in bunnies and have tried all the tricks to try and encourage for her eating habits to return with no luck.

Have you got the vet to check the back teeth? Sometimes the front teeth can look in perfect condition but they can get little pointy spurs on the back teeth and they poke the cheek/tongue and cause pain which often changes their eating habits. It can be tough to see right to the back of the mouth so the vet will use a scope to look.

You could try softening the pellets with some water, see if she'll eat them then.

Back