• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Process. Attempt #2 Thursday

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
I'm after some advice regarding bonding Chloe & Dave together.

I introduced them to each other yesterday in the outside run. There was initially a little scuffling which soon subsided. Dave made a lot of advances towards Chloe whom eventually let him mount her. I left them both in Chloes shed last night hoping things would improve.

This morning when I went to feed the buns things felt very tense, the shed was in a complete mess and they both ended up having the mother of all scraps. I decided to move Dave into the run so Chloe could eat her breakfast in peace.

They're in the run together now but Chloe just runs away from Dave who clearly just wants to pester her.

I've not a great deal of experience with bonding bunnies, should I be separating them at night or should I persist in leaving Dave in the shed with Chloe? I don't want to exhaust her but I'm not too sure on how to go forward.

Last edited:
I'm no expert - I've got two unsuccessful bonds under my belt to prove it- but it's my understanding that it's best to try the initial bond in a neutral place and to keep a close eye on them for at least 48 hours before gradually increasing space. I've also read that females are particularly bad for being territorial, so perhaps putting them both in Chloe's shed isn't the best idea. The danger is - as I have experienced- once they've had a serious fight it can be very difficult to then bond them, so I'd tread carefully if I were you.
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon!

Good advice from HarrytheHop. Yes, bonding needs to be in a small neutral area and they should not be left unsupervised. Rabbits can inflict horrendous injuries if they fight.

I would advise separating them completely to allow things to settle for a couple of weeks if you are to stand any chance of bonding. It can be very difficult once they have fought. I assume they have been both been neutered for long enough to allow their hormones to settle.

Last edited:
I've only had the experience of bonding my 2 boys. We separated them by having one in a pen and one outside. Both able to sniff and groom a little through the bars. But we waited a couple of months. Try to be patient.when we noticed changes in their behavior.we put them in a neutral zone in our hall. Still in the pen but we had washed it in distillers vinegar to get rid of all smells. They had a little fight. But that's all. We put them in a new hutch. And fingers crossed have lived happily side by side for the past two weeks. Just be patient and do not rush it. Wait till hormones have gone. Good luck.

The run was brand new and built on Saturday so they were both in neutral territory. Things aren't going well so bonding is cancelled for now. I will try again at a later date.

Sorry to hear that. Bonding really is such a nightmare. I'm at the start of what I fear might be quite a long journey with my two. Hope it all works out for both of us in the end!

Preparing myself for Chloe & Dave bond attempt #2 on Thursday. My parents are going abroad so going to take advantage of the house, I will be bonding them in the hallway which is a good medium-sized space and 100% neutral. To say I'm nervous is an understatement :lol:

I bet you'll be tired too. Everything crossed it goes well this time.

They've just had a nasty fight, pinning each other on the floor. They're both flat out panting now as you can imagine. I'm not sure whether to stop or carry to on... The issue seems to be that both want to be the dominant one and neither will submit.

They've just had a nasty fight, pinning each other on the floor. They're both flat out panting now as you can imagine. I'm not sure whether to stop or carry to on... The issue seems to be that both want to be the dominant one and neither will submit.

I had this with Rosie and Pie :shock: its very draining more for you.

Rosie kept coming up to me and climbing out of the way from Pie :roll: i have a lovely photo of her cuddling me for comfort :oops: in the end i had to remove myself from the pen :? so she couldn't and had to deal with Pie on her own

just make sure you can reach them both and break up any fights i know its very hard but try to stop a fight before they lock the circle ;)

i started to stop them circling at all for a while armed with my oven gloves and nerves of steel

they need enough room to get out of each others way if needed but not so much that they can ignore each other completely

I had this with Rosie and Pie :shock: its very draining more for you.

Rosie kept coming up to me and climbing out of the way from Pie :roll: i have a lovely photo of her cuddling me for comfort :oops: in the end i had to remove myself from the pen :? so she couldn't and had to deal with Pie on her own

just make sure you can reach them both and break up any fights i know its very hard but try to stop a fight before they lock the circle ;)

i started to stop them circling at all for a while armed with my oven gloves and nerves of steel

they need enough room to get out of each others way if needed but not so much that they can ignore each other completely

Hey Mrsm, I've split them up. I'm going to contact Fat Fluffs and see if they can try and do it as quite frankly it's making me miserable. I feel it needs to be dealt with by someone with no attachment to them! I've ate half a bag of marshmallows and now I'm ready for a nap :lol: It's all so frustrating and emotionally draining :evil:

Hey Mrsm, I've split them up. I'm going to contact Fat Fluffs and see if they can try and do it as quite frankly it's making me miserable. I feel it needs to be dealt with by someone with no attachment to them! I've ate half a bag of marshmallows and now I'm ready for a nap [emoji38] It's all so frustrating and emotionally draining :evil:
Oh bless you it's no fun is it

Yes emotional attachment has a lot to answer for lol

You feel cruel putting them thru as they don't know it's for their good

Hopefully Fat Fluffs can do it 😃

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Hey Mrsm, I've split them up. I'm going to contact Fat Fluffs and see if they can try and do it as quite frankly it's making me miserable. I feel it needs to be dealt with by someone with no attachment to them! I've ate half a bag of marshmallows and now I'm ready for a nap :lol: It's all so frustrating and emotionally draining :evil:

I've had to contact a rescue about bonding Binky and Bella too because I'm too attached to them :lol:
In the end I was too nervous to let them go near eachother after a few fights so o was doing them no good!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Back