• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scrappy's been admitted overnight/UD She's gone

Hi all

Please could I have some vibes for Scrappy as she's quite poorly at the moment and currently staying overnight at the vet's.

It started last night when I came home from work and noticed she was quite subdued, she didn't race around for her dinner as she usually does. I was very concerned by her demeanour and so immediately went on high alert. She had done some normal poos during the day and had passed urine. I monitored her closely and she was eating (not as much as usual) and doing some normal poos (again not as much as normal), but during the evening and overnight she was also leaving very soft poos, so she clearly wasn't right. This morning her normal poos had deteriorated a lot and had become quite small and misshapen.

I phoned the vet and told them I was worried she was going into stasis and that she might have a blockage and was told to bring her straight down. During the examination, the vet found there were gut sounds (albeit not as good as they usually are) and her tummy felt soft so there didn't appear to be an obstruction. However her body temperature was abnormally high. So they've kept her in overnight to keep an eye on her and try and bring her temperature down, and also deal with her tummy. Fortunately my vet lives in the flat above the surgery so she said she would be able to check on her during the evening and first thing tomorrow morning.

The vet nurse phoned me a short while ago. Apparently she is doing ok at the moment. They've given her fluids and she has been tucking into her hay (I raced back and forth earlier getting her favourite hays and food - plus half her toy collection!) and her poos are looking a lot better. Unfortunately her temperature is still high so they're currently trying to deal with that.

The vet will phone me again first thing in the morning with an update and if there is still no improvement the next step may be to transfer her over to the hospital.

Last edited:
Oh no I'm so sorry, at least the vet is there on hand. Sending little Scrappy loads of get well vibes, hope you get good news in the morning xxxxxx

Oh no! please keep us posted... though I know I am not the only one who wants to know how she's doing. Fingers crossed all will be well.

Many, many get well wishes on their way to Scrappy - I hope he is on the road to recovery real soon

Scrappy's been admitted overnight: high temperature and gut slowdown :(

Nooooo. Scrappy!! Nose rubs for the wee girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I really hope that Scrappy has improved overnight, and can come home, fingers and paws crossed here xxxxx

Thanks so much everyone again for all the vibes :wave:

I'm pleased to say I've just brought Scrappy back home. Apparently she was eating well last night and pooing normally so the vet said she was well enough to come home. No idea what caused the rise in body temperature, we suspect it may be an infection so I've been given some antibiotics as a precaution. I'm working from home today so I'll be able to keep an eye on her. We also have a follow up appointment tomorrow morning, but hopefully she is now on the road to recovery.

Back