• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Humphrey admitted: HOME :D

When bunnies are admitted into the vets and don't eat I often wonder how much of the not eating is down to being nervous of the new unfamiliar surroundings and how much is down to the illness, and once they start to feel more safe and secure they perk up enough to behave more normally and put themselves on the road to recovery.

It's great he took some food from you and a few poos is definitely in the right direction. Sending continued vibes for him xxx

Went to visit him. Slight improvement.. He did a few poos and ate some of the herbs and carrot (anything to tempt him!) I brought. Still has his drip in and is staying overnight again. :(

His eating and making a few poos is promising since he does not have an obstruction. I am sure he enjoyed seeing and hearing you today.

I would not worry about him having a drip. They probably just want to keep him hydrated and help him to rehydrate any waste material that may still be in his digestive system.

Thanks so much everyone!

He is home with Rose, feeling a bit grumpy and sorry for himself (with his bald ears!).
Poos a bit small but he hates car journeys so hopefully back to normal soon. Syringe feeding was a struggle (I got covered :oops:).. Kinda nice to see after Sunday where he didn't struggle while I checked him over before the vets.

I love this bunny. :love:

Thanks so much everyone!

He is home with Rose, feeling a bit grumpy and sorry for himself (with his bald ears!).
Poos a bit small but he hates car journeys so hopefully back to normal soon. Syringe feeding was a struggle (I got covered :oops:).. Kinda nice to see after Sunday where he didn't struggle while I checked him over before the vets.

I love this bunny. :love:

Lovely update <relief> x

I have some fibreplex in the house. Do you think it would be a good idea to give this alongside his meds from the vets for a few days?

I have some fibreplex in the house. Do you think it would be a good idea to give this alongside his meds from the vets for a few days?

It wont do any harm as long as it wont be an additional stress for him. Fibreplex contains not only probiotics but also prebiotics and fibre. Some Vets question the benefits of PRObiotics for Rabbits as the PRObiotic is likely to be killed off by the stomach acid,Rabbit's have a VERY acidic stomach (PH 1-2), before it gets to where it is needed-the caecum. But PREbiotics are not destroyed by digestive enzymes and they may increase the proliferation of 'good' gut bacteria. PREbiotics can also aid the absorption of nutrients in the diet. The fibre in Fibreplex is always going to be useful, the more fibre a Rabbit has the better.

So in short giving Fibreplex wont do any harm, even if it does not actually do a huge amount of good.

Ooh only just seen this. Yay for Humphrey!!! I'm so pleased :)

The vets prescribed me Fibreplex alongside Metacam, Ranitidine and Emperid to give Noah for a few days at home, so yes fine to give :thumb:

Yes I think this is a good idea. Fibre keeps the gut moving, and the rabbits tell me it's tasty as well :D

Back