• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lily is unwell - U/D Lily is home

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Had to rush Lily into the vets a couple of hours ago, she was laying uncomfortably and was refusing food. She was also lifting her head and appearing to struggle with breathing.

We rushed her and her companion Livio to the emergency vets. JC said that her stomach felt distended. He took her off straight away for an X-ray and to start treatment.

I've had a voicemail to say that she has bloating of the intestine and they've started Lily's treatment.

Now I'm really confused as one of my guinea pigs was really ill earlier this week with gas compressing on her stomach and large intestine. She had to be immediately decompressed under anaesthetic and hospitalised for 2 days.

Could this be connected? The only thing both have had is the same hay. The other 3 rabbits are fine as are the 4 Guinea pigs.

Last edited:
:( I'm sorry Lily is unwell. I hope the treatment works and she makes a quick recovery.

Sorry to hear that Lily is very poorly :cry: Getting her prompt Vet treatment will certainly give her the best possible chance of recovery.

Mycotoxins in feed might be something to consider:

http://www.micotoxinas.com.br/Boletim44.pdf

I hope that Lily responds to treatment promptly xx

Thank you Jane, it's been such a bad week. Nearly lost my Dalila piggy on Tuesday, very fortunately she's recovered and is now fine. It just seems like such an unlucky coincidence.

That link is very useful, thank you. When my vet rings up with a progress update I'll be questioning whether we should be concerned if it could be related. If he is concerned are there any specific tests they can do on Lily to find out what caused it? The X-ray showed no foreign bodies he said.

Lily has had no fresh grass or forage in two days, they're actually on a hay only diet at the moment. However I gave them some fibafirst yesterday as a treat (that's what they have been fed until I reduced the amount) and she did have some excess cecotrophes. However she was fine and eating normally up until 3am. The occasional cecotrophe being left isn't uncommon for Lily as she's always had a sensitive tummy. x

How worrying :( I have no clue but I'd be thinking the same thing. Hopefully it's just an odd coincidence and Lily recovers just as quickly as Dalila xx :)

So worrying :( I'm very pleased to hear of Dalila piggies recovery :love:
Now wishing Lilly a speedy recovery too, it didn't even cross my mind that the two could be linked but it would be worth asking your vet about, he may say it's just coincidence but it's worth the peace of mind Xx

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

What a day!

Dalila piggy started developing a wheeze and a noise as she breathed. Had to make a second trip to the emergency vets. Fortunately not as bad as feared. She's got a bit of pneumonia but otherwise is doing well and eating as she should. She's been put on 0.5ml of septrin twice a day. The wheeze should ease in the next 48 hours.

Lily is making good progress, JC said her glucose level has lowered and she's taking to the feeding well. We asked him about the two possibly being linked and he reassured us that they are not. They have another 3 rabbits in with the same as Lily. Think it's related to the weather.

Onwards and upwards!

Gosh, Jack, you are having a time of it. :( Sending all the best vibes for both Dalila and Lily that they recover quickly and completely. xxxxxxxxx

:love:.. Lots of vibes Jack, you're all having a rough time..

It might be the weather, is England not desperately warm just now? with thunder and lightning?.. It may just be too much for them all.

I hope they all recover soon. Xxx

Thinking of you, Jack, and hoping things are going well. (((((((((((Vibes)))))))))))) xxxxxxx

Thanks everyone for the vibes, sorry I did not post last night; it has been a bit hectic nursing a poorly piggy. Luckily Lily does not require syringe feed or such, just her meds as she is eating fine on her own.

The x-ray yesterday showed that Lily has some change to her tooth roots, although she has never been x-rayed before so I don't really understand the 'change' part of it. But anyway she also has some arthritis in her back, plus in combination of moulting JC thinks this is most likely what caused the episode. Although looking at the invoice it looks like she had a blood sample taken yesterday, so we shall see what that comes back as. It usually takes a couple of days or so to get the results. Hopefully it will come back fine.

We have ordered 4 tubs of Oxbow Joint supplements that will arrive tomorrow, which I will start straight away. I don't know whether the metacam will be long term or not. She is also Cisapride to stimulate her gut.

Here she is last night when she came home -

20844571126_72fc1ccac6.jpg

20682903580_f9a6575218.jpg

Gosh she is stunning - reminds me a bit of my Kyla (lionhead x) but with a little nethie face.

Back