• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't decide whether to get my bunny a companion?

ripply

Young Bun
Gizmo is now 2.5 years old and since he was a baby, has lived with my hens. I know it's a bit frowned upon but they got on really well and the hens (especially the cockerel) were extremely tolerant of him. They often slept in the sun together. Gizmo seemed particularly attached to one of them, and they would always follow each other about. The hen would become upset and shout her head off when I took Gizmo out.

I've recently had to move house under difficult circumstances, and sadly could not take my hens with me. Gizmo has been on his own since, though he has lots of attention from me. I keep worrying that he might get lonely without the hens and was thinking of getting another rabbit for company. Problem is, when I read about all the difficulties with bonding etc, it really puts me off. I can't bear the thought of Gizmo getting hurt, or the new rabbit. He was hand reared as his mother died, so he probably hasn't got the best social skills with other rabbits either.

I've tried an animal sanctuary which is the biggest one here, and the only one that deals with rabbits but they weren't much help. I spoke to my vet and he said that I'd know if Gizmo was lonely as he would seem depressed, not playing, eating etc. He's definitely not like that. He seems quite happy, is active and spends a lot of time grazing and playing (his run is 5metres x 4.5metres). I then spoke to the staff at pets at home about it but they gave me conflicting information. They said to just keep an eye on Gizmo to see if he seems depressed but then the next staff member seemed very keen for me to take a rabbit, a young male who isn't neutered. Gizmo was neutered at 4 months.

Could anyone advise me on what to do? Would it be obvious if he was lonely? I'm only considering another rabbit for his sake, as I'm worried it might be a bit of a struggle paying for two sets of vaccinations, feed etc.

I would say that all rabbits deserve to have a friend of their own kind to share their lives. There are many benefits - companionship, sharing times of stress, grooming (areas that they can not groom themselves most importantly), and someone to keep them warm in winter.

The only time I'd say a rabbit may not be bonded is if there is a real health reason why they may not. This is not to say that a bunny cannot be happy if he or she is on their own, but they will not be the same as a bunny in a happily bonded pair or group.

Being able to afford bunnies is very important of course and no one should get a rabbit knowing that they may not be able to afford to keep them and provide veterinary care when needed so if you know you won't be able to afford another then I'd not put a second bunny in that situation.

Maybe find a way to make changes for the future and be in a better position to have a partner rabbit for Gizmo when you know you can afford the vaccines and the onward vet care.

Rabbits can live up to 10 years or more so looking at it this way he has a long time to be alone. Having said that I think male rabbits cope much better alone than a female would, also as you have a boy it will be much easier to introduce a female to him. He needs to be neutered then once he has got over that you could look for a female rabbit. They would need to be introduced in a neutral space in case Gizmo became territorial. More advice on that when you need it. I wouldn't try a rabbit of the same sex as they would most likely fight. :thumb:

Gizmo is now 2.5 years old and since he was a baby, has lived with my hens. I know it's a bit frowned upon but they got on really well and the hens (especially the cockerel) were extremely tolerant of him. They often slept in the sun together. Gizmo seemed particularly attached to one of them, and they would always follow each other about. The hen would become upset and shout her head off when I took Gizmo out.

I've recently had to move house under difficult circumstances, and sadly could not take my hens with me. Gizmo has been on his own since, though he has lots of attention from me. I keep worrying that he might get lonely without the hens and was thinking of getting another rabbit for company. Problem is, when I read about all the difficulties with bonding etc, it really puts me off. I can't bear the thought of Gizmo getting hurt, or the new rabbit. He was hand reared as his mother died, so he probably hasn't got the best social skills with other rabbits either.

I've tried an animal sanctuary which is the biggest one here, and the only one that deals with rabbits but they weren't much help. I spoke to my vet and he said that I'd know if Gizmo was lonely as he would seem depressed, not playing, eating etc. He's definitely not like that. He seems quite happy, is active and spends a lot of time grazing and playing (his run is 5metres x 4.5metres). I then spoke to the staff at pets at home about it but they gave me conflicting information. They said to just keep an eye on Gizmo to see if he seems depressed but then the next staff member seemed very keen for me to take a rabbit, a young male who isn't neutered. Gizmo was neutered at 4 months.

Could anyone advise me on what to do? Would it be obvious if he was lonely? I'm only considering another rabbit for his sake, as I'm worried it might be a bit of a struggle paying for two sets of vaccinations, feed etc.

I think if you're not able to afford a second rabbit, then please don't get one. Not being able to pay for good health care when needed outweighs the benefit to him in terms of having a friend (which of course he would love - you saw how he tried to make friends with your hens!)

Back