• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I neutralise smell on outdoor run and garden?

Hi,

Sadly one of our mini lop pair got out at night about two weeks ago and was killed by a cat. We have an 18 month old neutered female who is now sad and lonely and I am looking at getting a neutered male from the SPCA.

I have never bonded rabbits before but have been reading on the forum. I understand (I think) the theory about how to bond and am willing to give it a go. But I am unsure how to neutralise territory.

Our bunnies live in a run in the garden and have free range of the garden for a short period each day, with longer periods at weekends. They also come into the house. I can certainly find some neutral territory like a bathroom for bonding, but I have no idea how to neutralise everything in the garden or in the wooden run that my female bun is still living in. I'm also not sure what to do about carpets and furniture that may have been chinned.

Any advice?

Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about your bunny.

You don't need to neutralise the wider territory. The most important thing is the introduction area is completely neutral - bathrooms are great as they are easy to wipe down. The main living space they go into after being bonded eg the hutch is good to clean out too - white vinegar is good for neutralising smells. I would keep them confined to the hutch/run until they've settled and then they can go back to the wider exercise areas - they should be well bonded by then and a little bit of old left over scent won't cause a problem.

The key idea is they become friends on the neutral territory so when they go back in the living space she doesn't feel the need to get territorial over it because she wants him there and having him around her is normal.

Back