• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think Harley is after Sparky!

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Some of you may know that we lost Harley's wifeybun on Saturday night. Harley is neutered. Anyway, in a bid to help him deal with her loss we have kept him indoors in a very large rabbit pen. One of our other buns, Sparky (unneutered male) is a house bun who has his own big enclosure and so we have put the pens opposite each other so that Harley has some company.

Woke up last night to find Harley had jumped our of his pen and was going nose to nose with Sparky (no aggression) he was just rubbing his scent on the bars of Sparky's pen. Put Harley back in his pen but then when I got up for work this morning, Harley had escaped from his pen again and was laying alongside Sparky.

Seems Harley has found himself a new friend! My concern however is the age difference, Harley is 5 and Sparky is 7 and as Harley has already lost his wifey bun I don't want to put him through losing another friend.

I have known boys to lie side by side with wire inbetween but once together they fight. This is possibly what would happen especially as Sparky is unneutered. :)

Personally I would take steps to ensure that neither can jump out of their pen and reach the other because of the real risk of a fight.

We have now found some covering to go over the pens to prevent any more midnight wanderings. They have been set up in these pens since saturday night and last night was the first time he got out. We have thought about getting sparky neutered but due to his age weare worried about putting him under GA.

I can understand your concern about Sparky (we all worry about neutering and GA, whatever their age). Perhaps you could discuss it with your vet. You obviously need an exotics expert or, at the very least, a vet who has a special interestiin rabbits and is knowledgeable about them.
Would be lovely if you could bond them once his hormones have settled, but if that didn't work he would still be healthier and happier neutered.

Back