• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to introduce a new member

Frankie28

Young Bun
Inky and Raisin have lived together for nearly a year now and both are very happy together.

But I've recently been thinking that Ink isn't getting any younger. He must be coming up for 9 now. So, it got me wondering, are you better to bond a trio so that when the inevitable happens you're not left with a lonesome bunny? Or, could this just upset the balance and really, you're better off just waiting?

I would be inclined to wait as getting another bun could be stressful for Ink. He's looking good for 9 so might have 2 or 3 years ahead :D

Inky and Raisin have lived together for nearly a year now and both are very happy together.

But I've recently been thinking that Ink isn't getting any younger. He must be coming up for 9 now. So, it got me wondering, are you better to bond a trio so that when the inevitable happens you're not left with a lonesome bunny? Or, could this just upset the balance and really, you're better off just waiting?

This is something I've often thought about. Bonding a third rabbit wouldn't necessarily be straight forward and causes stress on your all three rabbits. Sometimes in older rabbits I have found this brings out latent 'illness' because the immune system drops. There is also the issue of two ganging up on one ...

I personally would leave well alone at this stage, and get another when one leaves .....

Just came into my mind .. How would you feel about a younger model being brought in to cope with the day you popped it :shock: Animals pick up on our feelings ..... hmmm .... just a thought :)

Personally I'd leave both be whilst they're happy and healthy :love:
If it was two young buns I'd probably try for a trio but I don't think I'd want to cause that stress to a 9 year old rabbit incase two ganged up on one and then you've got a problem!

He looks excellent for nine :love::love:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back