• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny lying down a lot...help?

My bun Lily has been exhibiting some strange behaviour since we moved in May. I kept thinking it was just her adapting to a new environment but even though shes settled now she still does it.

She spends a LOT of time lying down flopped out, usually in her pen (she's free range when I'm in the flat, and is recently bonded to her new husbun - once I get more fencing to block off some of the room, they will be free range all the time). I know this is fairly normal for the daytime but it's so constant and prolonged. I'm not sure if I should be worried - she eats hay pretty well and has a generally good appetite, and when she does get moving she likes to jump on the sofa and do laps etc. Before we moved she was in the front room at my parents' house so there was a lot more activity which could have stopped her from relaxing as much, and now it's just me and the buns and I'm quite quiet.

Has anyone else had this? Do I just have a lazy bun? She used to be a lot more active :( she's nearly 2, so she's not old. I don't know if there are any illnesses that could cause this? She had a recent checkup and the vet said she looked fine although I didn't voice any concerns then so they just did a very basic check.

What type of flooring is she on now you have moved ? Some Rabbits do not cope well with lino/vinyl etc and so may not want to move around on it as much as they would on carpet.

Was the new bonding relatively uneventful ? Does the other Rabbit chase Lily at all ?

If the apparent lethargy is something that is causing you concern I would get the Vet to take another look at her.There are various health issues that can cause a Rabbit to be lethargic, even if they are OK in other ways. But it may just be that she has become a more chilled out and lazy Bunny

My bun Lily has been exhibiting some strange behaviour since we moved in May. I kept thinking it was just her adapting to a new environment but even though shes settled now she still does it.

She spends a LOT of time lying down flopped out, usually in her pen (she's free range when I'm in the flat, and is recently bonded to her new husbun - once I get more fencing to block off some of the room, they will be free range all the time). I know this is fairly normal for the daytime but it's so constant and prolonged. I'm not sure if I should be worried - she eats hay pretty well and has a generally good appetite, and when she does get moving she likes to jump on the sofa and do laps etc. Before we moved she was in the front room at my parents' house so there was a lot more activity which could have stopped her from relaxing as much, and now it's just me and the buns and I'm quite quiet.

Has anyone else had this? Do I just have a lazy bun? She used to be a lot more active :( she's nearly 2, so she's not old. I don't know if there are any illnesses that could cause this? She had a recent checkup and the vet said she looked fine although I didn't voice any concerns then so they just did a very basic check.

Awww poor Lily!

I wonder what type of environment she has moved from and to? I think this may have the key to the answer ... If she's eating OK and jumping as she would normally, then it doesn't sound like there's much wrong with her. Do you have a good vet you can trust?

Has she had any vaccinations recently?

Thanks for your responses!

Jack's-Jane - The flooring here is laminate which is really not ideal but I have several rugs/carpet bits around for grip. She was on wood flooring before though which wasn't much better! The bond seems to have gone quite smoothly - the rescue bonded them and brought them back yesterday. She seems to be the dominant one but there hasn't been much chasing or anything. I did wonder if it was a behaviour from boredom and whether it might change now she has a bun friend. I might make an appointment with the vet or at least ring them and ask for advice. Thank you :)

MightyMax - she has always been an indoor bun, I lived at home for a year with her in various different rooms and she did get attention from my family as well as me whereas now I'm in a studio flat (fun with noisy rabbits at night!) on my own, although she has been doing it even when I'm making a fuss of her and trying to play :/ I went with a vet with good reviews who said they have experience with buns and seemed quite knowledgeable when I went in. She hasn't had vaccinations since December, she gets her yearly ones then.

Martine - yes she was neutered over a year ago. Her behaviour never really changed after her spay though...maybe this is a delayed reaction! Haha

Back