• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grinding Teeth

MummyBunnyEm

Mama Doe
How do you know the difference between a rabbit grinding their teeth through pain or through happiness/ feeling content?

When I give the bunnies head rubs they often grind their teeth and they always look so sleepy/relaxed too :)

Daves just lay down and had a little teeth grind but has stopped now. He's not long had his loxicom, so was he just doing it because he was settling down do you think? He's got his two front feet stretched out now too, so I'm guessing he's comfortable.

I'm not too concerned, just interested. I'm noticing a lot more different behaviours since I've had Dave as he's living inside for the time being so I'm often watching him. I can see why a lot of you have house bunnies :love:

Last edited:
It could have been a little discomfort before his meds kick in, if he does it when moving might be pain I suppose:?

When Dumplin had his abces he did it in pain and used to almost squint his eyes too :( so I knew it was pain

Pie will do it when I talk to her its as if she is trying to tell me something ;)

Stu does it when ever I touch his head and stroke him it's almost instant :love:

How do you know the difference between a rabbit grinding their teeth through pain or through happiness/ feeling content?

When I give the bunnies head rubs they often grind their teeth and they always look so sleepy/relaxed too :)

Daves just lay down and had a little teeth grind but has stopped now. He's not long had his loxicom, so was he just doing it because he was settling down do you think? He's got his two front feet stretched out now too, so I'm guessing he's comfortable.

I'm not too concerned, just interested. I'm noticing a lot more different behaviours since I've had Dave as he's living inside for the time being so I'm often watching him. I can see why a lot of you have house bunnies :love:

I think happy grinding is lighter & faster. Bunnies in the house are fascinating - just don't expect to achieve too much else though:lol:

I think you can definitely tell by sound (harsher grinding), speed (very determined and slower), facial expression of you observe closely, and general posture.

If the lovely Dave is lying on him tummy, I'd say he's probably ok. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doughnut sort of chews when she's settling down and if I kiss her forehead and nose she does a happy chatter.

I think the pain grinding is louder and you can tell they don't look comfortable, more hunched up rather than relaxed.

Ah welcome to owning a house rabbit, if only temporarily. I'm always hoovering up hay as Doughnut is very messy but I love having her following me everywhere and I do think it's easier to pick up when they are unwell as you see them all the time. Wonder if Dave will be going back outside :)

I think Dave may well think he's not going outside! :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha Dave will certainly be going outside! I have a lovely shed waiting for him with a little fuzzy monster (Chloe) thrown in too. What male bunny wouldn't want that? :lol:

It could have been a little discomfort before his meds kick in, if he does it when moving might be pain I suppose:?

When Dumplin had his abces he did it in pain and used to almost squint his eyes too :( so I knew it was pain

Pie will do it when I talk to her its as if she is trying to tell me something ;)

Stu does it when ever I touch his head and stroke him it's almost instant :love:

Stu sounds a typical male bunny, loves the fuss!

Back