• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded bunnies and dentals

Hi there, lovely folks of RU! I'm a long, long time lurker (about 6 years!) who has finally registered an account because I could use some advice.

My boy Fell, His Rabbity Highness himself, is currently at the vet's for yet another dental. Ordinarily after a dental I'd keep him inside for a couple of nights in a dog crate so that I can monitor his eating and pooping, and to make it easier to give him his meds, because he doesn't generally recover very well. However, about six weeks ago he was bonded with a lovely little wifeybun, Lyra, and while Fell is a perfect house guest, Lyra isn't litter trained and generally leaves a trail of chaos in her wake :lol:

I'm concerned about bringing them both indoors, as the dog crate isn't large enough to keep both of them in even temporarily, and my room - the only space in the house I can keep them - is filled with all sorts of soft pine furniture and wires and other delicious things for bunnies to chew on. But if they both stay outside, I won't be able to monitor Fell as closely and giving him his meds will be a bit of a nightmare for both of us. The (unfortunately rather clueless) vet that's covering for my usual wonderful rabbit-savy vet today seems to think it would be fine to separate them temporarily, but from what I've read on here in the past that doesn't seem to be a very good idea.

What are your thoughts?

They have a playhouse attached to a run, so I could close off the run and just keep them both in the playhouse for a day or two, which would make the meds situation easier although Fell couldn't be monitored as closely as I'd like. I could bring them both indoors and risk armageddon. Or should I take the vet's recommendation and separate them temporarily?

(Apologies if this isn't in the correct forum, I couldn't quite decide if it was a bonding issue or a housing issue or a health issue!)

It is very difficult isn't it. I would keep them together, both in the playhouse and watch him when giving them food to ensure he is eating. Maybe he won't eat as soon as he arrives home but the next day you should be able to see him eating. Does he normally eat after a dental? Good luck with this :)

Back