• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am i over-reacting? advice please on getting a husbun for my bun

Sam56-87

Warren Scout
I'm hoping to get some advice on getting a husbun for my bun Minnie. She is now 11 months old, she is spayed and has a lovely pen made by Daniel at Boyles housing recently. She is an indoor rabbit and gets to free range when we are home aswell as supervised garden access. I can't help feeling guilty that i haven't got her a partner yet. She seems really happy and is always binkying around the place but i know they need company of their own kind.

I have seen a rabbit on the rspca website for adoption that i keep looking at and the branch in walsall said they could offer a bonding service (i'd feel too nervous to do it myself) i've been doing lots of research on bonding but i'm so worried that i will bring them home from the rescue and they will fall out as i don't know what i would do. It would break my heart to have to 'return' the new rabbit if it didn't work out. She is quite territorial - i have 2 cats who lived with me well before minnie but she is now firmly the boss of the house. Our lounge has become her favorite room and if the cats go in there whilst she is in there she will run them out. The cats don't bother but i'm worried she would be worse if i brought a new rabbit into the situation.

I'm asking anyone that has had a rabbit bonded at a rescue then brought them home what their experiences have been (good or bad) and if you can offer any advice.

Thank you!

If you had your rabbit bonded at a Rescue could you then put them in a totally different area for say a month so that the bond could develop and her usual territory would be just a memory, so to speak. Other than that and from what you tell us, it could be very difficult to bring a rabbit back and return them to her normal enclosure.

We had two males in outside accommodation (hutch within aviary) and one female inside (utility off kitchen, she did get a bit territorial in there bless her) They all went off to a boarding/bonding/rescue place to be bonded which was about 8 days away in all, we went crazy neutralising the inside accommodation where the female had been, changed all the toys and took out the wooden hidey box she had etc. When they all came back they went into the inside space for about two months in total while I could keep an eye on them (and enjoy them ;)

We neutralised the outside space and coincidentally I'd already got a bigger hutch which I ended up saving for all three (when that had formed as a longer term plan as our female was an unplanned adoption :) they all went out about 2 weeks ago and it's all going really well out there. So the two males hopefully forgot about their previous outside space and it was different when they went back in. It was the female that may have remembered her inside space so we made it different as we could.

It wasn't planned to take so long but it all went very smoothly. I'm literally today neutralising and painting her old wooden hidey house to put it back into the aviary tomorrow :) Good luck! X

Last edited:
Ps - we used white vinegar/water solution in a spray bottle to neutralise, it does smell but dried quickly and seemed to have done the trick. :)

Well I was in a very similar situation as yourself not that long ago, also with a dutch doe, like yourself if I see right in your picture.
Bunbuns was really happy, binkied around a lot too, just seemed to have been happy with just my and OH's company... however after two years or so, which you're coming up to things changed. she would still be happy and binky, but also end up just sitting around when I didn't play with her. I work from home and she's in my work room with me, so she was all fine when I gave her attention... but if I was busy, she wasn't happy. It got to a point where she really was getting fed up, I could tell, I know her well enough to know when she's not happy. We always thought she didn't need another bunny, but I just got that feeling in my gut to say, she does. That's when I started making enquiries at our "local" rescue.
We then had her go there to do some speed dating, she connected with a 4 year old lop, all went well, they came back home after a week or so... but that's when the nightmare started, him and her would constantly fight, he didn't adjust to being indoors, he would be all really aggressive with her. I was worried that it was because of her scent or that she was too territorial, even though I washed everything out with white vinegar and water. After three days they picked him back up as they ended up causing each other distress. So he went back and Bunbuns was alone again. She looked sad, I think she still liked him, we all did, but he just wasn't happy here. That weekend when he went back, the lady at the rescue said there was a new buck coming in soon, he just needed to be neutered, but after he recovered we could try those two. He was only 8 months old and a house bunny. so that was all more promising. After a few days of the first one gone Bunbuns started acting more her normal self, so we wondered, maybe we should keep her alone, after that first nightmare, but we thought we give it another try.
Well it couldn't have been more different. From the first night they were snuggled up, constantly grooming each other, well him her really, she's the boss, and all was fine. Time to come home.. naturally after the first attempt I was worried... however I didn't need to be, they got on perfectly, few minutes after arriving snuggled up on the bed grooming each other. I knew it was right. He's been with us for just over two months now, and she's really happy again, I still spend loads of time with her, that hasn't changed, but she's also spending all the time she has with him. he binks around, is happy, and it's a joy seeing them play chasing or just eating together.
Of course everyones experience will be different... but I was like you wondering if I should keep my girl solo, I am glad I didn't.
Local rescues usually help with the bonding, and like Louise said, white vinegar is great and helps.

Ps - we used white vinegar/water solution in a spray bottle to neutralise, it does smell but dried quickly and seemed to have done the trick. :)

Thank you Louise, yes I had read about the white vinegar and people seem to be saying that it works. I don't mind if the place smells like a chip shop for a while :D I think I could try steam cleaning the carpet and sofas to see if that helps too. I think Im just being over cautious (or so my boyfriend thinks) your 3 are beautiful by the way :love:

Well I was in a very similar situation as yourself not that long ago, also with a dutch doe, like yourself if I see right in your picture.
Bunbuns was really happy, binkied around a lot too, just seemed to have been happy with just my and OH's company... however after two years or so, which you're coming up to things changed. she would still be happy and binky, but also end up just sitting around when I didn't play with her. I work from home and she's in my work room with me, so she was all fine when I gave her attention... but if I was busy, she wasn't happy. It got to a point where she really was getting fed up, I could tell, I know her well enough to know when she's not happy. We always thought she didn't need another bunny, but I just got that feeling in my gut to say, she does. That's when I started making enquiries at our "local" rescue.
We then had her go there to do some speed dating, she connected with a 4 year old lop, all went well, they came back home after a week or so... but that's when the nightmare started, him and her would constantly fight, he didn't adjust to being indoors, he would be all really aggressive with her. I was worried that it was because of her scent or that she was too territorial, even though I washed everything out with white vinegar and water. After three days they picked him back up as they ended up causing each other distress. So he went back and Bunbuns was alone again. She looked sad, I think she still liked him, we all did, but he just wasn't happy here. That weekend when he went back, the lady at the rescue said there was a new buck coming in soon, he just needed to be neutered, but after he recovered we could try those two. He was only 8 months old and a house bunny. so that was all more promising. After a few days of the first one gone Bunbuns started acting more her normal self, so we wondered, maybe we should keep her alone, after that first nightmare, but we thought we give it another try.
Well it couldn't have been more different. From the first night they were snuggled up, constantly grooming each other, well him her really, she's the boss, and all was fine. Time to come home.. naturally after the first attempt I was worried... however I didn't need to be, they got on perfectly, few minutes after arriving snuggled up on the bed grooming each other. I knew it was right. He's been with us for just over two months now, and she's really happy again, I still spend loads of time with her, that hasn't changed, but she's also spending all the time she has with him. he binks around, is happy, and it's a joy seeing them play chasing or just eating together.
Of course everyones experience will be different... but I was like you wondering if I should keep my girl solo, I am glad I didn't.
Local rescues usually help with the bonding, and like Louise said, white vinegar is great and helps.

Hi Fred, thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed response I have actually found what you have said to be very very helpful. I was just showing my other half as it does seem like we are in the same position as what you were. I actually think you have help make my mind up. I know that even though she seems happy to us she will be even happier in the long run if she has a husbun. I have made enquiries with 2 local rescues about the process- sounds like you found a really helpful one. I think part of me is worried about the process but part of me is selfish as she is very much my bun. She comes when I call her, she demands nose rubs and she will sit next to me on the sofa. I know things will change when but ultimately I need to get over it as I want to give her the best life possible which means her having a friend.

Thank you again for your answer and yes I think Minnie is very similar to Bunbuns, i remember thinking the same thing when you posted the photos and videos of them in the gorgeous pen you had built!!

Hi Fred, thank you for taking the time to give me such a detailed response I have actually found what you have said to be very very helpful. I was just showing my other half as it does seem like we are in the same position as what you were. I actually think you have help make my mind up. I know that even though she seems happy to us she will be even happier in the long run if she has a husbun. I have made enquiries with 2 local rescues about the process- sounds like you found a really helpful one. I think part of me is worried about the process but part of me is selfish as she is very much my bun. She comes when I call her, she demands nose rubs and she will sit next to me on the sofa. I know things will change when but ultimately I need to get over it as I want to give her the best life possible which means her having a friend.

Thank you again for your answer and yes I think Minnie is very similar to Bunbuns, i remember thinking the same thing when you posted the photos and videos of them in the gorgeous pen you had built!!

Glad I could help a bit, to be honest, what you said about the selfish part... well I totally get that. That was one of my biggest concerns, but I knew her needs had to come first. Just like your Minnie, she would follow me around everywhere, wanting loads of cuddles and attentions, listened to when I called her etc. So I was worried I'd not have that anymore. But you know what... it hasn't really changed. Sure now she spends a lot of time with her husbun as well.... but we are still spending the same amount of time too. If anything we spend more time now somehow. She plays with Fluffy, they run around like crazy, snuggle up etc, but they also like laying alone, well he does, so she then comes and lays under my desk where I am working, or sits on the sofa next to me etc. Also when we are playing all together, she still comes and licks my hands and arms all the time. Really nothing changed. I guess its very much like having a second child, that doesn't mean you love the first child any less, or that they don't love you as much. I think Minnie will be happier, and with her being happier will also mean she'll be even more affectionate. Of course there are never guarantees it will all play out the same. but she does sound very, very much like Bunbuns and I can tell from the picture she's a right little cheeky girl, so no doubt she'll be just fine. So it doesn't need to mean anything will change, it should however means she'll be happier, and also you less guilty when not home. When I just had Bunbuns I literally would not want to go anywhere for any longer than an hour as I knew she didn't have anyone to play with, of course she could entertain herself, but nevermind.. that was my thinking anyway, now I managed to leave the house for more than an hour knowing she will have still someone there to snuggle up to and who gives her the attention she wants. Minnie looks like she wants attention and she'll get it, so soon there could be another one giving her attention, which she may not return, but give to you instead. Bunbuns wont really groom our Fluffy, but she demands it from him, she then comes and licks me instead lol. so he did all the work and gets nothing back, but he does seem ok with it, he does get the odd lick here and there.
the biggest reward for me, and the one that brought a tear of happiness to my eyes, well maybe more than one, was seeing them snuggled up together, and both binky around. That feeling, well I just cant explain, you'll know what I mean when you see it yourself.
oh something else... make sure you mention she's a house bunny and to look for one who has been one before. Having had this big issue with a boy who was never a house bunny before, and him being 4 years old and set in his way, was really not good. So I'd suggest, make sure it's a house bunny, and also think younger or her age would also be good, since he will be able to be more submissive easier, which he'll need to be coming into Minnies territory. Something I found out the hard way and based from advice given to me by the rescue lady, well a couple of different ones told me the same and some other people, including my vet. you may have to wait for the right match to come along, but when it's a match, it's magical.
by the way... you should post pictures of your pen from Daniel as well, I always love seeing what he created, he is so awesome at what he does. Unless you have and I missed the post.

.. your 3 are beautiful by the way :love:

Ah thanks very much :-D I love them so much they're all such characters ;-)

Thinking about it, Smudge still does come up for attention from me, even though the boys adore her and groom her and snuggle all the time. She'll be the last one in the aviary once Perry and Basil have gone back up into their hutch and she'll nudge me and put her nose down for grooms. Basically she'll take as much as I can dish out :love: :lol:

x

Thank you for saying, i'm glad i'm not the only one. I hope Minnie is the same as Bunbuns and still has some love for me :D although i don't get any licks etc as she demands all the attention from me - she does have a thing for licking the sofa though :lol:

Oh and you are right, she is so cheeky - a right little madam! It's one of the things i love about her. Even though i think she is still happy now, as you said she will be happier when she has a friend of her own so that will make me happier too. You are also so right about the guilt thing. We got Minnie in November last year and since then i haven't been going out half as much and if i do i'm always thinking about her constantly feeling really guilty for leaving her and i'm constantly checking my watch thinking when can i go home. She has free range of the house when we are there but when we aren't she goes in her pen so i can always never wait to get home to get her out again. I will feel much better leaving her if she has someone to be with her so that will be nice. Although i know i'll still prefer to be at home but that's just me. My family and boyfriend think i'm mad as i'd rather be with animals than people!

It's nice to hear your experiences with Bunbuns and Fluffy, i love seeing people's photos on here of their buns cuddled up together or grooming each other. It will make me so happy to see Minnie like that with someone. Thank you for the tip on the house bunny thing and also age. I guess it wouldn't be nice if a bun was used to being outdoors and then had to be indoors. We do allow Minnie supervised access in the garden but mainly she is inside so i will definitely take this on board. I'd rather wait longer and get the right match than put either bun in any distress.

I have never uploaded any photos on here although i have found a thread showing instructions of how to do it. I'll have a look when i get chance and upload a couple of pictures. I am very happy with the pen and i think Minnie likes it, she has kept this pen a lot tidier than the puppy pen she used to be in! and even when i let her out she still keeps going back in it!

Well with Bunbuns it took her about a year or so until she started, may have been close to two, now she does it all the time. After she first came back from being bonded with the one that didn't work out, she didn't lick for a while, but after she came home with Fluffy, two or three days later, she was at it again. She's also back to laying under the desk all the time, or just being everywhere I go in general. In fact now I have both of them follow me around, since he follows her wherever she goes. So have to be double careful where I step lol
He is really starting to warm to us now, I think, when I clear the pen out in the morning, while she goes and has a play, he stays behind and watches everything I do, and puts things back in place with me. I put their toy half way where they like it, and he puts it the rest. then he comes and does a nose bump for the next toy, I put it in and he moves it in the right place. But he's not the cuddly type, so while he likes being around, being cuddled is still very much a no no. Sometimes when he's tired he comes and puts his head down for a nose rub, he then teeth purrs for a bit and goes to sleep.
so no doubt when you have Minnie with her new friend, you'll find that while the interaction changes a bit, it could even end up better than what you had before. Seeing them pulling food from each other, back and forth, grooming each other, running around, exploring together, or both coming to sit on the sofa with you, all this is so amazing you cant even put it into words. I think some bunnies, and I think Minnie is one of them have suck big personalities that you just don't want to have changed, probably part of why I didn't have Bunbuns spayed as early as I could as I didn't want her changed in any way, but I found she didn't change, she's still the same, spayed and with a new friend.

By the way, don't think you're mad being rather with animals than people, I would imagine a lot of people here are the same. I don't have any real life friends left, party because when I started my business I had to put all the hours in the day I had into it, so any spare time I spend with my partner, now things are easier but I rather spend the extra time I now have with my bunnies, so I don't see many people at all anymore, and you know what... I am ok with that, in fact I like it ;)

Funny enough you mentioned she's keeping her new pen clean and keeps going back, I found the same, I clean it out daily, well a quick dust pan and brush job, and ones a week properly with a hand hoover etc... but it's always really nice and clean. it was a bit more messy when they were still chewing on the pen itself, but they stopped. Need to file some edges down again with some sand paper to make it look nicer again, but overall yeah they kept it nice and clean, and same with going in as Minnie, while they can be out all day, they often end up going back in to sleep etc. well of course also for toilet, food and water, but they seem to like it. His pens are awesome and I am glad he build one for us.

Anyhow, before I write another novel, I do hope you find the perfect friend for Minnie, and yeah would love to see photos of her, the pen... and her hubby once you've found him. :)

Hello, I've only just seen your post and have been reading with interest. I had Mabel from a baby and after a year I decided it was time to get her a friend. She was paired up with Arthur at a rescue and when they came home after two weeks, they went into a brand new pen from Boyle's. Apart from a little bit of humping from them both they were fine - no fights and the bond strengthened over the next few weeks.

Sadly Arthur went to the bridge in April, we'd had him almost a year to the day. Mabel has had an ear abscess and we have been waiting for her to fully recover from that and are now ready to bond her again.

On Saturday I collected Wilbur from a lady who is poorly and can no longer take care of him. He would have gone to rescue otherwise. So far he's in the kitchen and Mabel's in her room so they haven't met. She can smell him on me though and has been grunting and lunging -very territorial. I'm just deciding now whether to have a go at bonding them myself upstairs in a completely neutral room or ask a lady I know who volunteers at a rescue to take them to her house for them to meet. I'm worried Mabel will become territorial over the Boyle's pen even if I neutralise it as well as I can.

I'm very apprehensive but I know it will be the best thing for her in the long run and it's lovely to give Wilbur a safe and happy home.

Good luck with your own bonding saga.

Hello, I've only just seen your post and have been reading with interest. I had Mabel from a baby and after a year I decided it was time to get her a friend. She was paired up with Arthur at a rescue and when they came home after two weeks, they went into a brand new pen from Boyle's. Apart from a little bit of humping from them both they were fine - no fights and the bond strengthened over the next few weeks.

Sadly Arthur went to the bridge in April, we'd had him almost a year to the day. Mabel has had an ear abscess and we have been waiting for her to fully recover from that and are now ready to bond her again.

On Saturday I collected Wilbur from a lady who is poorly and can no longer take care of him. He would have gone to rescue otherwise. So far he's in the kitchen and Mabel's in her room so they haven't met. She can smell him on me though and has been grunting and lunging -very territorial. I'm just deciding now whether to have a go at bonding them myself upstairs in a completely neutral room or ask a lady I know who volunteers at a rescue to take them to her house for them to meet. I'm worried Mabel will become territorial over the Boyle's pen even if I neutralise it as well as I can.

I'm very apprehensive but I know it will be the best thing for her in the long run and it's lovely to give Wilbur a safe and happy home.

Good luck with your own bonding saga.

Hello Mabel's mom, I'm sorry for your loss it's never easy is it. They become part of the family. All the best with Wilbur, that's lovely that you were able to save him before going into rescue. I hope he bonds well with Mabel. I'm far too nervous to do the bonding myself but Minnie is the first rabbit i've owned. Joining this forum is the best thing i did as i have gained so much knowledge but i'm still all new to this. I am also very worried that my Minnie will be territorial over her pen and especially our lounge space as that room is her favourite. The place will smell like a fish and chip shop by the time i'm finished and i'm going to hire a steam cleaner to do the sofas and the carpet - can only try i guess. I will be so nervous when i bring a new rabbit home though. As you said it is the best thing for them in the long run so it makes it worth it doesn't it.

Good luck to you aswell, i hope all goes smoothly. Be lovely to see some pictures of Wilbur.

Thank you to the people that have commented on here, you have all been very helpful. Just a quick update: i had contacted a couple of rescues but there was one rabbit in particular that i kept looking at who is listed with the rspca. They came back to me yesterday to say he is still available and the size of the pen we have would pass no problem. They are now going to call me to arrange a home visit and if we are approved we can then arrange to initially go and see him and if we like him then i will take Minnie to them and they will have her for 5-7 days whilst they try and bond them. Ultimately it is Minnie that makes the decision but he is so lovely i do hope she likes him. I'm already nervous for the home visit, i hope that all goes ok and then the thought of taking Minnie to them and her being away for 7 days makes me feel upset already. They have said that they would give me regular updates but i will miss her dearly.

Hi. We recently got a new husbun for our female rabbit and although it was a bit stressful (they took a while to get used to each other) they seem really happy now. However, they did have a massive fight after about a week of being home from the rescue centre where they were bonded. She hurt her leg as a result and he lost a lot of his mane (he is a lionhead). We were really upset as they had been getting on quite well. After discussions with Lynn at the rescue centre we all came to the conclusion that it was the "Nature's Salad" (dried herbs etc made by Rosewood) they were eating which we had given them as a treat to help them settle in. Lynn explained that the different herbs can make the rabbit's urine smell different to how it does normally which can strain - or even break - a recent bond. We threw the stuff out and after a day or so they were fine together. We kept them in adjoining cages until the stuff had gone through their systems. So when they are bonded make sure you don't given them anything unusual to eat! It has been stressful, and at times you seriously doubt that you are doing the right thing (when her leg was sore, I burst into tears because we felt responsible for her suffering) but now that we have got through it, it has all been worth it. Good luck!

Hi. We recently got a new husbun for our female rabbit and although it was a bit stressful (they took a while to get used to each other) they seem really happy now. However, they did have a massive fight after about a week of being home from the rescue centre where they were bonded. She hurt her leg as a result and he lost a lot of his mane (he is a lionhead). We were really upset as they had been getting on quite well. After discussions with Lynn at the rescue centre we all came to the conclusion that it was the "Nature's Salad" (dried herbs etc made by Rosewood) they were eating which we had given them as a treat to help them settle in. Lynn explained that the different herbs can make the rabbit's urine smell different to how it does normally which can strain - or even break - a recent bond. We threw the stuff out and after a day or so they were fine together. We kept them in adjoining cages until the stuff had gone through their systems. So when they are bonded make sure you don't given them anything unusual to eat! It has been stressful, and at times you seriously doubt that you are doing the right thing (when her leg was sore, I burst into tears because we felt responsible for her suffering) but now that we have got through it, it has all been worth it. Good luck!

Oh gosh thank you for that. Yes I bet you were mortified at the time, I'm glad to hear they are doing well now though. I would of done the exact same thing so I'll know not too now

Back