• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How often do you clean the litter tray?

MarshMellie

Young Bun
We have introduced a cat litter tray as our litter tray. Bonnie and Roo have taken to it really well and it is far less dominant in the room than the enormous cage base was. We've been able to put the cage away all together. However, it seems that if I don't clean the tray every 24 hours they will just poo EVERYWHERE! They clearly like a clean toilet area. Is this normal or are my bunnies particularly fussy?

Its just newspaper & hay in the trays. Chloe does tend to drink a lot and I don't like the thought of her sitting in one of her trays when wet, especially overnight.

I've got two trays, newspaper and hay on top, both get changed twice a day, they soon get full ! :?

We are using pellets so the urine gets absorbed pretty well, but they tend to wee on their hay. I think that is what they don't like, but I'm not sure how to get around that as we aren't using a cage so can't mount a hay rack on anything. At the moment I put a layer if pellets and then hay spread on top.

If Toffees tray gets too wet, he does wee a lot !, then he wees by the side of it :roll:, so I find it easier to clean a couple of times a day.

I'm lax then! I clean my guys out every other day, Loki is very tidy but Thor and Poppy tend to poop everywhere if I leave it even a few hours too long :roll:

I'm lax then! I clean my guys out every other day, Loki is very tidy but Thor and Poppy tend to poop everywhere if I leave it even a few hours too long :roll:

In winter I switch to every other day, just when it's hot and flystrike season I prefer daily. I think it's different as your guys are indoors so you have another barrier to flies, whereas my guys are outside with no barrier against flies so cleanliness is v important :)

We do twice a day, but we use puppy pads. It was every other day when we used megazorb. The two little 'uns are so fluffy, we found megazorb stuck in their fur and caused matts, hence all on puppy pads now. It's quick and easy, and no matts. :)

All mine are done every other day normally but everyday at the moment with it being hot and more flies around

every 2-5 days, depending on the amount of poo :lol: Thankfully Alf doesn't care about the mess - he'll continue to poo in it and nowhere else even when it's full!

I'm changing my buns litter tray maybe twice or 3 times a day.. I tend to use newspaper and then hat on top but find my one bunny honey has a wee and then digs all the hay and newspaper out. So I am constantly replacing it and topping up with fresh Hay.

Hope you don't mind me asking, but has Anyone got any tips on stopping her from digging all the litter trays out? X

I thought I was the only one struggling with needing to clean litter trays often - I've been trying to stick to doing them every other day but the buns really do start pooing everywhere once it gets a bit dirty, even though they are generally well litter trained. I think I'll have to start doing the trays (or the main one at least) every day.

Ruthyjones89 - my Lily used to pick up the newspaper and throw it out, throwing all the litter out with it! So I've had to give up on newspaper now :/

Back