• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Long for Baytril Course for Rabbit Ear Infection.

cara

Alpha Buck
Rosie is on 1.6ml Bayril (she weighs around 2kg).

How long should the course last? The bottle says 20 x 2.5ml 20ml. Is this enough and for long enough?

Also, should I be cleaning her ear? Looks a little gunky, but not particularly bad. I am using Xeno at the moment to prevent mites, which she has had in the past.

How long did the vet advise for? Did they not give you an indication? Sometimes it can be a week, or they may feel a longer course is due.
If the bottle has 20 ml in it, I'd continue till its finished.

If you feel no improvement, go back to the vets and ask for a different antibiotic.

Good luck :)

There has been an immense improvement. I do intend to complete the course, but wondering if the dose/length of course is as usual for an ear infection.

Can anybody work out how many doses are in the bottle? Am bit dozy on maths :oops:

I'm also bit dozy at math plus a bit dozy as I have had little sleep! But I would want to treat for at least 4 weeks for ear infection.
Sorry I can't be of much use re dosages.

Rosie is on 1.6ml Bayril (she weighs around 2kg).

How long should the course last? The bottle says 20 x 2.5ml 20ml. Is this enough and for long enough?

Also, should I be cleaning her ear? Looks a little gunky, but not particularly bad. I am using Xeno at the moment to prevent mites, which she has had in the past.

Do you mean that it is the oral Baytril 2.5mg/ml ? If so how much are you giving her and how often ? The course needs to go on for several days AFTER all clinical symptoms have resolved. So I would want the Vet to re-examine Rosie before stopping treatment.

As for ear cleaning, what did the Vet say about this ? It is usually necessary to remove the 'gunk' but this must be done with extreme caution incase the tympanic membrane (ear drum) is perforated. So again if in any doubt I would seek the Vets advice again before putting anything into the ear canals in order to clean them.

I am glad that Rosie seems to be doing better at the moment xx

Do you mean that it is the oral Baytril 2.5mg/ml ? If so how much are you giving her and how often ? The course needs to go on for several days AFTER all clinical symptoms have resolved. So I would want the Vet to re-examine Rosie before stopping treatment.

As for ear cleaning, what did the Vet say about this ? It is usually necessary to remove the 'gunk' but this must be done with extreme caution incase the tympanic membrane (ear drum) is perforated. So again if in any doubt I would seek the Vets advice again before putting anything into the ear canals in order to clean them.

I am glad that Rosie seems to be doing better at the moment xx

Hi jacks-Jane, hope you caught my other thread in which I thanked you all for your invaluable help. I couldn't manage without it :)

Rosie is on 1.6ml per day, 20 x 2.5% oral bottle of 20ml. The vet did not say for how long but I will of course finish the bottle. But wondering if that will be enough. When I asked about cleaning ears, he said could make worse as we could push gunk into the ear :?

Hi jacks-Jane, hope you caught my other thread in which I thanked you all for your invaluable help. I couldn't manage without it :)

Rosie is on 1.6ml per day, 20 x 2.5% oral bottle of 20ml. The vet did not say for how long but I will of course finish the bottle. But wondering if that will be enough. When I asked about cleaning ears, he said could make worse as we could push gunk into the ear :?

Sometimes vets give you more than you need for a course, just in case some gets wasted, or just because they do! I would ring the vet and clarify exactly how long he expects the course to last, and also whether he wants you to make a repeat appointment to recheck the ears.

I would agree with your vet, it's not easy to clear out an infected ear, as with a cotton wool bud you could make matters worse.

I would take her back before the baytril is finished and then if he thinks you need to continue there will be no gap in the antibiotic treatment. Stopping treatment before the infection is gone increases the bacteria's resistance to the antibiotic.

Ear infections can be hard to shift, my Barney was on Baytril and then Marbocyl for months, we've stopped it now but I think it's come back. So I'd just see how it goes and take him back for a reassessment towards the end of the course.

I would take her back before the baytril is finished and then if he thinks you need to continue there will be no gap in the antibiotic treatment. Stopping treatment before the infection is gone increases the bacteria's resistance to the antibiotic.

Ear infections can be hard to shift, my Barney was on Baytril and then Marbocyl for months, we've stopped it now but I think it's come back. So I'd just see how it goes and take him back for a reassessment towards the end of the course.

I agree

We are 8 weeks in for Ruby and her course of baytril. I have been told to just finish the bottle, I have probay around a weeks worth left. Ruby had head tilt from her ear infection And I didn't notice a difference until 5 weeks of baytril had been given.

We are 8 weeks in for Ruby and her course of baytril. I have been told to just finish the bottle, I have probay around a weeks worth left. Ruby had head tilt from her ear infection And I didn't notice a difference until 5 weeks of baytril had been given.

Really interesting to know Beki. You seem to have a vet who is on the ball and trusts you to know what's going on with Ruby.

Just to explain the maths for future reference the bottle would have lasted you just over 12 days. There was 20ml in there and you had to give 1.6ml a day so you divide 20 by 1.6 :)

Just to explain the maths for future reference the bottle would have lasted you just over 12 days. There was 20ml in there and you had to give 1.6ml a day so you divide 20 by 1.6 :)

Thanks cpayne - you explained perfectly :)

Rosie is now 9 days into her medication and is really, really well. Back up to (Rosie) speed! I did ring the vets re. how long antibiotics and got a message via the vet nurse .. 12 days and if I wanted anymore, ring back :? I don't think there is any point taking Rosie back to the vets as he didn't see anything untoward infection wise initially, so I doubt he will spot anything if I return with her.

However, I feel it has been left to me to gauge how long I should continue the meds for. Considering she is so well, can anyone here advise me please? I know you have to be sure the infection has gone. Rosie responded immediately to the treatment and has been very well for several days if that is anything to go by?

Just finish the bottle so 12 days. Doughnut had a respiratory infection and I didn't think the baytril had worked but on day 7 she got better, I had it for 10 days I think so just finished the course. Even if they seem better you still need to finish the course, it's the same with us, to make sure it's totally gone.

My advice is to pop back for a reassessment just before you finish the course. That way you can be sure and also check she hasn't lost condition due to the infection. Then if you do need to carry on with treatment then there won't be a gap at all.
At the end of the day you're not a vet and you also don't have the equipment to look deep into the ears, so you can't be expected to correctly judge whether the infection has fully cleared.

My advice is to pop back for a reassessment just before you finish the course. That way you can be sure and also check she hasn't lost condition due to the infection. Then if you do need to carry on with treatment then there won't be a gap at all.
At the end of the day you're not a vet and you also don't have the equipment to look deep into the ears, so you can't be expected to correctly judge whether the infection has fully cleared.

I am totally cynical about returning for an assessment to be honest. Rosie's condition is amazing considering how poorly she was and her age etc. :love: And Rosie's initial consultation turned up nothing - no ear infection was visible although vet did appear to do a good inspection. He just commented on the gunk, which he thought best to leave alone and I left with just an increase in pain meds (which I suggested myself). And, sorry to repeat myself, but had I not rang up after the appointment and requested antibiotics "just in case it is an ear-infection", I doubt Rosie would be here today. So I am dubious as to whether there is any point to going back.

As an aside really, I am assuming she had an ear-infection only on the basis of her stunning recovery, which began immediately she started taking them. But the ear-infection is only a guess really taking into account her off balance and swaying symptoms? Is it a fair guess in anyone's opinion?

My vet couldn't see anything in Ruby's ear either apart from a little bit of excess wax, however as the baytril made a mute difference and after a long course, has righted her head tilt, by a process of elimination the vet said it was most likely an ear infection. It took a long time for us to get results though as her head tilt just got worse before it got better. After the signs that Ruby was improving the vet gave me 3 weeks more of baytril and just said to finish the bottle and that would be it. She arranged a lot of follow ups to review her progress. It's up to you really but after the trouble I have had with Ruby's ear I probably would pop your bunny along just for a check up as the course is finishing, just really for reassurance she is ok and won't need more treatment. It's great that she has got better so quickly though :)

Back