• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Handling advice for newbie

badkitty

New Kit
Hi, I've had my two mini lops for a week now, so still quite early days, and I am struggling with picking them up! I know rabbits generally don't like to be picked up, and I haven't been trying too much as don't want to frighten them while they're getting used to a new place, but I need to be able to pick them up obviously for bum checks, cleaning out etc and also as I would like to be able to handle them. When I am actually holding them or they are on a lap it is fine, they sit quite still and are happy to be stroked, it's just initially getting them out of the hutch is a nightmare as they bolt as soon as I try. I don't know whether to just leave them and do no picking up at all for a few days till they are more used to us (in which case, how do I check bums - do I just try to get a glimpse as they hop around?!!) or persist trying to pick them up once a day or something. And if so, any tips of best way to do it!

Here are some tips on getting them used to picking up: http://www.therabbithouse.com/behaviour/problem-picking-rabbit-up.asp

I'd try and work around it so you can avoid it for now, so try a carrier and temp them in for food if you need to move them. I expect they'll learn quite quickly that their is a treat in the carrier and jump in as soon as they see it :) If you've got a run, sitting them on the top mesh is a good way to look underneath or hold up a treat and get them to stretch up for it :)

Back