• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping rabbits close together before bonding...

coops

New Kit
We have a six month old continental giant buck that we want to bond. He’s not neutered yet, but we are planning on doing so in the next few months.

We have seen an ideal (on paper!) potential giant partner for him at a rescue centre who has been spayed and is the same age. We are considering getting the doe now and keeping them separate until he is neutered and his hormones have died down after a few weeks. We have a 6m x 3m walk in chicken run and big hutch to go inside that we could house the doe in so they could have close contact in the garden in the meantime.

Has anyone got any views on the merit of this approach in whether it will make bonding easier or harder later? I'm wondering if the fact he may not be neutered at the start of the separated by chicken wire period may cause problems later.

I appreciate from past experience it’s not a given that any two rabbits will get on anyway and we could end up with two singletons.

I can't help. I have two pairs of minilops and couldn't bond them into a quad. hoping lots of knowledgeable people come along soon. :D

Back