• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Circling

Alicia

Mama Doe
When I take the food to the bunnies they start circling each other (Izzy more than Joey) and it can get a bit obsessive almost, very quick and a bit difficult to snap them out of. I normally scatter the food above the run lid so it spreads out onto the run because I think it gives them something to do if they have to look around for their food a bit rather than it being in a bowl. The circling worries me a bit, is it a bad sign?

It's a habit some rabbits get into, I think it starts with them getting very excited but it can sometimes turn a bit aggressive.

Food scattering can help stop them being aggressive once they receive the food, but if you want to cut off the circling, then the trick is to either mix up meal times/routines so they don't know when to get excited or train them to do something else. For example, you might teach them they get the first bite when they go to a specific place. So instead of racing around waiting to see where the food goes, then rush to sit on their spot to get their treat.

It's really just a case of waving a piece of food about until they get to the spot you've picked out and then giving it to them. They'll soon learn and try and beat you to the treat spot. A slightly different spot per bun (but close enough for you to hand both a treat) should stop a squabble :)

Yep, Tamsins idea is a good one.. I used to give the bunnies a treat in their space in the run... They all stood up periscoping in a little line... Very cute..:love:

Alf (single, indoor rabbit) circles me like crazy! It's actually quite annoying haha, we call him the Pied Ankle Biter :lol: I just scatter the food as soon as I get it and hope I don't get bitten!

Back