• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

For those of you that helped with advice regarding Ruby and her head tilt ... An upda

beki

Mama Doe
Ruby had a further trip to the vets yesterday and is doing really well. There is still a slight tilt but I still have a weeks worth of baytril to give her and this tilt will hopefully right itself over time.

The vet was concerned that she had drastically lost weight, going from 2.2kg to 1.2kg, well the little piggy has been scoffing unlimited pellets and managed to gain 600g in the last two weeks and is now back up to 1.8kg!!! Vet was very impressed!! I am to continue feeding her up a little longer to try and get her back to her original weight.

Her eye has healed well, the ulcer on her eye has gone but it seems to have left a small grey cloudy scar, this may go away but get suspects it is a scar. She seems to be getting around fine though.

She still will not attempt the ramp on her hutch and seems to have moved in downstairs. I'm wondering whether to put a rail or something along it to make her feel safer?

Ruby had a further trip to the vets yesterday and is doing really well. There is still a slight tilt but I still have a weeks worth of baytril to give her and this tilt will hopefully right itself over time.

The vet was concerned that she had drastically lost weight, going from 2.2kg to 1.2kg, well the little piggy has been scoffing unlimited pellets and managed to gain 600g in the last two weeks and is now back up to 1.8kg!!! Vet was very impressed!! I am to continue feeding her up a little longer to try and get her back to her original weight.

Her eye has healed well, the ulcer on her eye has gone but it seems to have left a small grey cloudy scar, this may go away but get suspects it is a scar. She seems to be getting around fine though.

She still will not attempt the ramp on her hutch and seems to have moved in downstairs. I'm wondering whether to put a rail or something along it to make her feel safer?

Beki, I was very touched to read this lovely update on Ruby :wave:

It sounds like with your love and attention and a bit of vet's wizardry, she is coming through it.

Regarding the hutch - I somehow doubt if a rail would make any difference to her feeling secure about going upstairs. It may not be something you can adjust. Perhaps a much wider ramp with carpet for traction - this may not be practical?

Thanks mightymax :) yes the perseverance with nearly 8 weeks of treatment has paid off. She is a little weak on her legs still as I have been restricting her exercise due to her tilted head, I didn't want her to hurt herself, so she hasn't had free run of my patio for over 2 months. My son loves to play with her outside and I couldn't have him making her jump and hurting herself, so I wonder if she is just feeling a little weak so can't get up the ramp. She can hop in and out of the litter tray just fine. I couldn't fit a wider ramp in but I could perhaps put some carpet on the one I have to help her get up and down. It is also a little steep so a brick under it could help.

I'm now going to let her have more exercise to see if this helps her improve more :)

Hello Beki,

You have done an awsome job so far. While I understand your restricting her exercise so she does not hurt herself, she may need to slowly get access to more area so she can regain any muscle/joint mobility she lost during her illness.
Some of her head tilt may be permanent--she will adjust. That is what happened to my Buddy. He recovered but he always had his head at a slight tilt, much improved from the initial tilt.

Hi bunny momma, yes I'm going to start increasing her exercise now. Going to start her with the run on the grass which she will like as she hasn't been on the grass for months, then I'll put her on the patio perhaps when my son is at nursery just so he doesn't chase her (he isn't mean, it's a little game they play, he jumps and she binkies then he chases her a little, she hides then comes back for more, it's son ute to watch!)

Back