• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Oh no Milly has mites :(

hoppetylop

Mama Doe
I got home from work earlier to find Milly having a good old sctratch.On closer inspection I found that shes got mites:shock:

Ive done a forum search and have ordered some Advantage from my local vets.I can collect it tomorrow.

I was wondering how she got them :shock:and how I can get rid of them in her enclosure.I will get the hoover on it tomorrow but is there a solution I can use to kill them?Would a weak bleach solution be my best bet?I assume I will need to be very particular about getting into every nook and cranny.

I will treat her husbun too as hes bound to have them.

Poor buns.:(

I've only had a case of mites once, many years ago, and I reckon they got them from a bale of farm hay.

Yep, smudge got mites once, bless him... Being a lop, he had a real miserable time with his as not only did he scratch and cut himslef, Willow found the taste of the treatment very lovely and groomed him constantly, till he got really peeved

I hope treatment goes well... Xxxxxx

I use Virkon disinfectant, anyway, in hutches and runs , but guess the bleach solution would do the trick.

I got home from work earlier to find Milly having a good old sctratch.On closer inspection I found that shes got mites:shock:

Ive done a forum search and have ordered some Advantage from my local vets.I can collect it tomorrow.

I was wondering how she got them :shock:and how I can get rid of them in her enclosure.I will get the hoover on it tomorrow but is there a solution I can use to kill them?Would a weak bleach solution be my best bet?I assume I will need to be very particular about getting into every nook and cranny.

I will treat her husbun too as hes bound to have them.

Poor buns.:(

Oh sorry about that :cry: Her immune must be a bit run down.

I use Ivermectin for mites, and Advantage for fleas ......

Bleach and water is a good disinfectant, as is steam cleaning the area ....

Hope you get on top of it :wave:

Sorry about the mites, but it's good you caught it early.

I agree with Mightymax. Advantage will only treat fleas. Xeno(ivermectin) will take care of the mites. Just be careful the dosing is correct. I seem to recall someone on here had a problem with an OD due to faulty instructions. And I believe retreatment is needed one or two more times, 10-14 days apart.

Revolution/Stronghold(selamectin) is also used for mites here in the US.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Cheyletiellosis.htm
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Parasitic/furmite/fur_mite.htm

Thankyou everyone for your replies.We just got back from the vet where she and her husbun had Ivermectin injections (two more to have at weekly intervals)I hope treatment works.Id love to be able to put them in another enclosue for 2-3 weeks to allow the mites in their enclosure to die off as 2-3 weeks is the life span of the little s*ds apparently.

Thanks again folks for the very useful info.

Did they give you Canaural ear drops or drops too to put in the ears?....or something similar to help with itchiness and to kill them off?

Glad you've been to vets..... They'll feel so much better

Fee xx

Thankyou everyone for your replies.We just got back from the vet where she and her husbun had Ivermectin injections (two more to have at weekly intervals)I hope treatment works.Id love to be able to put them in another enclosue for 2-3 weeks to allow the mites in their enclosure to die off as 2-3 weeks is the life span of the little s*ds apparently.

Thanks again folks for the very useful info.

And because their life span is 2/3 weeks, the doses of Ivermectin should be at TWO week intervals and not weekly (three doses in total) x

And because their life span is 2/3 weeks, the doses of Ivermectin should be at TWO week intervals and not weekly (three doses in total) x

Just spotted your post A.I didn't realise this.(Im using a local vet for this treatment-not rabbit savvy one)I will tell them.

I know:roll:Not the vets with the terrible poster though.Shes due to see rabbit savvy vet to have a possible dental but he didn't want to hospitalise her with mites as most of his patients are rabbits-which I do understand but it means we have to get treatment underway first.Poor little girl,shes got a lot to contend with but we will get her sorted.

Back