• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I really don't know what to do :(

Hi guys,

As of a couple of days ago I lost my wonderful bunny, Floppy. I am completely heartbroken but more so as it was completely unexpected. She had a fit and then within the next hour she was gone. She was so happy and healthy & only around 1. We adopted her and when we adopted her she was skinny and poorly and they let us know that they suspected she had been brain damaged from birth.

Anyway, another heartbroken fella is her bonded mate, Benedict. I know, the names are peculiar. Benedict has had his heartbroken twice this year as his brother, Rupert, passed away in February after complications during teeth surgery. He seems so sad & he's currently not eating as much (he's still eating though thank god!)

He bonded more with Floppy than he did with Rupert and he adored her. He knows she is gone as we left her in their hutch for another couple of hours so that he knew she was gone, as I've heard this is what you're meant to do with rabbits. Now, I just don't know what to do.

I know because he has always been with other buns that he will be better with a partner and I'd likely get a female as he seemed to bond better with Floppy. However, I don't know if I can do it. I'm so heartbroken over the loss of Floppy and after losing two bunnies in one year, I don't know if I can possibly go through losing another.

We do have two other rabbits, Storm and Ivy, who are two 16 week old Rex females. Benedict has seen them and sniffed at them and seems likely to get on with them as he's very laid back. But, I worry because there would then be 3 of them. Currently, we're building a little summer house on the back garden and I don't know whether to put them in there and create platforms and houses for them rather than get a hutch. I know 3 rabbits together isn't ideal but I don't think I can go through with getting another rabbit.

Both the rabbits that have passed away have been around 1 and so I didn't get much time with them. I'm still grieving over Floppy and so I can't even imagine getting another girl to replace her. On the other hand, I have to think of Benedict. If he's going to be depressed, I would rather get him a new friend, especially if he doesn't bond with the Rex's. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm so stuck :(

R.I.P Floppy, my sweet girl.

I'm so sorry that you have lost Floppy. I was in a similar position earlier this year in that I was left with a grieving rabbit after her partner passed away. My Minnie was very depressed and after Bentley had died she spent most of her time buried under a pile of hay. Initially I tried to distract her with new toys and interesting things to investigate, which worked to some extent as it did make her come out from under the hay. Minnie isn't really a people rabbit, she prefers rabbit company, so I couldn't help her feel less lonely. I had no other pair or trio with which I would have had any hope of integrating her, so although I wasn't ready to take on another rabbit, I did for Minnie's sake. I don't see it as replacing the rabbit you have lost, but more of giving another rabbit a chance of a good home and happiness, and allowing your grieving bunny to find happiness again.

Trying to integrate Benedict with your two girls would be an option. Trios can work well, but there is also the risk that introducing another rabbit to a bonded pair can upset the relationship between the original pair. I have had two trios, but both sets have been siblings so have always been together. I once attempted integrating a neutered male with my trio of spayed sisters, all the girls loved the male and got on with him fine, but it upset the hierarchy between the sisters and two of them had a massive fight resulting in one of them needing stitches. This experience made me very cautious about upsetting the hierarchy between already bonded pairs/groups. There are other people who have bonded trios and larger groups very successfully, it all depends on the personality of the rabbits involved.

If you decide to get a new partner for Benedict, then try contacting local rabbit rescues as they will be able to help in finding a good match personality-wise and will also often help with the bonding process. Thornberry sanctuary is your way and also BARC at Barnsley isn't too far away from you either.

Sorry you have lost a rabbit, it sounds as if there was something wrong with her when you got her. I would be inclined to try having the 3 bunnies together but first please make sure they are females. If they are they will probably like living with a boy, but I would wait until they have been neutered.

I have heard of trios working well, but as said above, it is a risk upsetting an existing bond. I personally would try it, he may like having two ladies :)

Benedict is not that strange a name, my 1st bunny was Kermit :)

Good luck x

Welcome to the Forum :wave:

I am so sorry you lost your little Floppy. It is unbearably heartbreaking ....

I think it's lovely of you to be thinking of Benedict's welfare. If I were in your shoes, I would get him a spayed female from a Rescue Centre (then if the bond doesn't work for whatever reason, they would take her back - or even help you with the bonding).

You can try and bond a trio, but there are risks that two will gang up against one and one will be left out. Not always the one you expect! So long as you're prepared for that, then it's an option.

Whatever you do, we will be here to support you, and please post in Rainbow Bridge about Floppy if you'd like to :love:

MightyMax has said everything I was going to say. It's so sad to see a bereaved rabbit isn't it.:cry:

Thanks for your response everyone!

Currently, he's not eating his food or hay and only eating treat, but atleast he's eating. Benedict is the same as your bunny Tracy, he's definitely more of a bunny bunny rather than a people bunny.

Last night I had all 3 bunnies in the huge run we have for them what we usually split into two. Benedict chased the two rex's around for a little bit and then sat in the corner and didn't move. I'm going to try everyday but the girls just keep running up to him and running away bless them. They're only babies and so understandably a bit scared of him.

I think I'm going to look at getting a female bun for him, as these two Rex babies are sisters I don't want him to interrupt their bond. Also, as he's 2 and they're only 16 weeks, I'd rather get him a mate that's around the same age as him.

Hopefully, they'll bond enough that I can have them in one run together and not kill each other! He's over grooming himself a bit which is a bit of a worry but hopefully time will heal his poor bunny heart.

Has anyone got any tips on bonding rabbits?

The 2 girls are doing the normal thing at least he didn't attack them. The only problem will be the girls will reach puberty in a few weeks and one might start chasing the other, etc so are you planning on having them spayed at around 6 months old? After this they should settle down in a trio. If you don't want to wait that long you need to find a spayed female preferably to bond with your boy. They would have to be introduced in a neutral area and should take about 3 days to bond, if all runs smoothly.

If you go ahead and find another female it might be difficult then to bond the 4 of them if that is what you are thinking. Rabbits are quite complicated!

Let us know what you decide :)

I will most likely have them spayed yes & I need to get them booked in to be vaccinated.

No no, I'm not wanting to bond the 4 of them. I was just hoping they could all tolerate each other so that they can share the giant run rather than me separating it off. As they have loads of little houses and tunnels in the run I want them to be able to enjoy it all. So I would want them to be bonded in pairs but just not attack each other. I realise I'm being optimistic as my old female, Floppy, was very terratorial and protective of Benedict and didn't like the babies at all, so I feel that another female would be the same. :lol:

I think once their new home is sorted I will start looking for a new female for Benedict & can seperate the house into two sections. I don't want to cause a rift between the Rex's.

Also, I've heard that using a soft toy can be good for bunnies that are suffering a loss. Does anyone have experience with this?

Back