• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded pair death - do I get a new partner for remaining?

moorevfr

Young Bun
Sad to say that one of my bonded pair Charlie died yesterday, unfortunately their hutch cage came opened some how and Charlie came out but unfortunately our new puppy lab was out in the garden at the same time and he either scared her to death by trying to play or maybe to rough! However we're devastated and poor Thumper is now alone for the first time as we picked them together when we bought them nearly 2 years ago!
I dont believe Thumper realises that's Charlie is now gone as she was minding her own in the hutch at the time of the incident but today I've noticed she's missing her as her behaviour has changed being more to herself and searching around the garden and not wanting any attention from us!
I guess she realised Charlie is missing and wanting her..
Do people recommend I find a suitable partner for her as she's never been alone.
I'm looking to find one that's needing a rehome and around the same age.
She has been spayed so would it be worth getting a buck or stick to another female?
Should I try and get one ASAP to help her or wait off for x amount of time?

The hut is plenty big enough for two rabbits with two platforms for space and also I'm now purchasing a run to add to the hutch so I never have worry about the puppy and rabbit meeting without supervision again!

The door that came loose had now been fixed so that it can never happen again!
I have some serious training set for the puppy regards with the rabbits!!

I'm having a difficult feeling towards the pup now as you can imagine as we had the Charlie as our first pet and I brought them up and now got just got a pup as well and before I could start properly introducing them that happened in a short amount of time!
I can't resent he puppy as he had no idea and just went with instinct even though that easy to say! Just learn a very bad and sad lesson!

I would say get another one, she'll be much happier. Look for local rescues, as they will help with the bonding. I am assuming she's about two years old then, or just over. So she should still have many years to come and therefore a new friend for her would be nice. I haven't had a loss of a bonded rabbit yet, so I am probably not the best one to answer the time scale thing.... but from the research I have done and from things I've talked about with the rescue lady, I'd say start your research now, it will take a while to find a suitable friend anyway, then take it from there.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your tragic loss. :cry: As you say, you have learnt a hard and sad lesson, but the steps you are putting in place will ensure that it won't happen again.

A castrated male-spayed female pairing would work the best. Pairing up two females would be unlikely to work as females are more territorial than males. If females are paired up when babies, or if they have always been together (sisters or mum/daughter) then they will usually have a strong lifelong bond, but pairing up two adult girls wouldn't have much chance of success.

Maybe you could contact a local rabbit rescue as they would be able to help with finding a friend for Thumper and also help with advice on making the accommodation absolutely dog/predator proof. Many rescues will also help with the bonding process, which takes the pressure and stress off the owner.

Sad to say that one of my bonded pair Charlie died yesterday, unfortunately their hutch cage came opened some how and Charlie came out but unfortunately our new puppy lab was out in the garden at the same time and he either scared her to death by trying to play or maybe to rough! However we're devastated and poor Thumper is now alone for the first time as we picked them together when we bought them nearly 2 years ago!
I dont believe Thumper realises that's Charlie is now gone as she was minding her own in the hutch at the time of the incident but today I've noticed she's missing her as her behaviour has changed being more to herself and searching around the garden and not wanting any attention from us!
I guess she realised Charlie is missing and wanting her..
Do people recommend I find a suitable partner for her as she's never been alone.
I'm looking to find one that's needing a rehome and around the same age.
She has been spayed so would it be worth getting a buck or stick to another female?
Should I try and get one ASAP to help her or wait off for x amount of time?

The hut is plenty big enough for two rabbits with two platforms for space and also I'm now purchasing a run to add to the hutch so I never have worry about the puppy and rabbit meeting without supervision again!

The door that came loose had now been fixed so that it can never happen again!
I have some serious training set for the puppy regards with the rabbits!!

I'm having a difficult feeling towards the pup now as you can imagine as we had the Charlie as our first pet and I brought them up and now got just got a pup as well and before I could start properly introducing them that happened in a short amount of time!
I can't resent he puppy as he had no idea and just went with instinct even though that easy to say! Just learn a very bad and sad lesson!

When you say you don't think Thumper realises Charlie has gone, has he seen her body? If possible I think it's best that rabbits see for themselves that their partner isn't coming back ... They then have closure and can move on.

That said, I think it would be best to approach a Rescue Centre and enquire about a spayed and vaccinated female of around the same age. They could then help you with the bonding. I feel it would be best for you to 'outsource' your bonding at this stage, as the puppy/scent/sounds might complicate the issue and make you more nervous. Bonding can be stressful at the very best of times :shock:

I'm so sorry for your loss. You learned the hard way and now time to think of Thumper :)

By the time it happened and I found Charlie on the grass Thumper was still in the hutch so she never saw what had happened or went near the body as I closed the hutch straight away then moved the puppy indoors and then moved Charlie's body. I never thought to let Thumper see her until reading up later but it was too late by then as we had buried her by then.
From watching Thumper since then it appears that she is searching for her, she checking around the cage a lot lifting the blanket up and sniffing around...
I am leaving the hutch open for her so she can also go search the garden if she needs to.
She is more withdrawn now so I think she has realised something has happened so I'm giving her space but still making sure she is eating and drinking and getting treats as usually and thankfully so far she is doing fine with that.

We have decided it is unfair to get another rabbit even though I would make it 100% proof I don't think I want to risk that again and also we haven't got the time to give to do a proper bonding process and also to give her the extra attention she deserves with being solo.

A silver lining that has come out of this is a friend who works at a school for children with disabilities and special needs has said they are looking for a class rabbit and have offered to take her in. I think she will then get all the attention and care she deserves in a safe environment and can still have contact with her and explained if she shows signs of loneliness then they may need to get her a partner which they're happy to do so if needed.

I was a hard decision to make giving her a new home, they were our first pets together and I bonded more with them as I was the one who's jobs it was to look after them. Was a big lose with Charlie and now a bigger one to give Thumper up but its for her best and be selfish of us to keep her alone and with that risk.

Feel we are doing the right thing even though it hurts us.

I am so sorry to hear about what has happened . .

I can understand why you feel that the offer o fthe 'class rabbit' is a good solution all round bt I have to say that this will ring alarm bells with many people here -

Rabbits are as you know easily frightened and generally dislike being held and dislike noise and dislike strangers - all of which bring on stress which in turn brings on stasis and ill health and the rabbit suffers.

. All of these inevitably occur at schools for whatever type of children - even under close supervision.

In addition the question of ownership and responsibility comes up - who will pay for and take rabbit to be vaccinated or if ill? what will happen in evenings and weekends?

What will happen if your friend moves on?

Will they really pair up your rabbit in the future?

What if she is mishandled and nips a pupil (mishandled or frightened rabbits will nip as a warning)

The school scenario is one that does crop up here - most often when a rabbit has to be rescued from such a situation - and

to be honest I feel you would be much better either pairing up you rabbit or placing her with a rescue for the chance of a new home with a new partner.

I am sorry that I have worded this quite strongly - especially as you are already feeling very sad - but the school situation is very very very rarely suited for a rabbit and most Especially not one who has just lost their partner and is already stressed.

PS she may seem ok with you handling etc but this is very different to strangers - especially young ones who may have difficulty controlling noise levels and actions.

I can only echo what Parsnipbun has already said regarding rabbits in a school situation. Please think very deeply about this and try and look at it through Thumper's eyes. A school situation is not considered ideal for any rabbit, least of all for one which has already undergone a major upheaval in its life and has lost its bonded partner. It is early days and you don't yet know what the full impact of losing her partner will have on Thumper. She is alone and not used to being alone and to then plunge her into a world which is completely alien to her really wouldn't be in her best interests. She may well be frightened and stressed with the noise and handling and, as Parsnipbun has already said, rabbits nip as a warning, it is their only way to say 'no', a rabbit that nips a child would rarely be given a second chance. :(

It is clear from your posts that you think a lot of your rabbits and only want what is best, but please give the school issue more consideration and perhaps think about the option of surrendering Thumper to a rescue instead. A rescue would either pair her up with a suitable partner and rehome as a bonded pair, or rehome to be bonded with single neutered male. Reputable rescues always do thorough homechecks to ensure that their rabbits are going to be cared for properly.

I hope I've worded this OK as I really don't want to cause you further upset.

Thanks for making me think more regarding giving her to a school, at first it sounded great but now with your points of view I can see that really its not.
And the fact we feel guilty for thinking about giving her up because we got a puppy which is not fair as its replacing.

I am now leaning towards getting her a new partner and checking preloved for others who are looking to re home their males and see if I can make an arrangement to get them bonded before taking him off their hands.

I then plan to make the garden the rabbit zone as we walk the puppy a lot around the local parks and fields so thats he outdoor release, and then start to try and bond the puppy slowly carefully with the rabbits to help him train they are not toys but fellow friends! Unfortunately I had not got around to this this first time :( as we only just had him and he just saw it as a fluffy toy I imagine.

We've been keeping a close eye on Thumper and so far she's ticking along eating and drinking as normal. I've given her full access to the our lawn which she has been using so she's not completely keeping her self hidden in the hutch, hate to say it but I think she's searching for Charlie still but hoping thats just our take on it.

Out the two she is the more bold one and hopefully more acceptable to bonding with a new friend it was her sister that was more shy and timid.

From a quick search of the local bucks a lot are not yet neutered yet will this be a big issue with the bonding, Thumper is spayed so not risk in a getting any babies but should I try and find one that has already been done?

Thanks very much for all your guys advice.

What a horrible situation to happen. Last night when I read you were planning to give Thumper to a school I thought it must be because you're still in shock, immediately after a bunny has died isn't a great time to make big decisions especially as Thumper needs a period of adjustment too. I'm glad you decided against it for the reasons given by others. Maybe also mention to the school that a rabbit isn't the best idea as a school pet. I think they should stick to tadpoles and stick insects myself! Rodents and rabbits don't like being awake during the school day anyway.

Last year my rabbit Max died and he had been bonded with Millie. With Millie, I had the same thing as you that she was looking for him (although also seemingly pleased to have the food to herself!). He sickened really quickly and I showed her his dead body but I'm not sure it made a difference as she still searched. I knew when she was ready for another bond because she started seeming lonely though I'm not sure, looking back, I could say how I felt that from her behaviour. I guess she wanted to be with me a lot more, she would dance when she heard me coming.

The vet suggested I wait a month or two. In the end it was a bit longer than that because I had to have the new bunny (Archie) neutered and wait for him to adjust hormonally afterwards. If you want to test drive a new bunny with Thumper with the option of returning him if they don't bond then he'd have to be neutered.

Pets dying of accidents always leave you with guilt, please try to use that energy positively to keep Thumper and his new bond as safe as houses, but then let it go. You can't change what's happened so start again.

I'm so pleased you've made this decision. Yes, I think it would be much better to have the buck neutered first. Not sure where you live, but have you had a look at the rabbits in need section - lots of lovely rabbits and many Rescues will help with bonding.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, what an awful thing to happen :(

I'm glad you have re-thought the school rehoming idea though as it's really not a good environment for a rabbit and no way of life for him. And the stress of it all after what he's already been though could make him ill :(

When I lost our girl last year Olly started to show signes of getting ill fairly quicky so although at first it hurt to much to think about getting another one so soon, we had to think of Olly and took him to a rescue and they bonded him for us.

Ok I will search for a neutered male to try and bond with.
We are based in a town called Telford in the Westmidlands, I've tried looking for a local rescue but nothing in the close area will have to expand the search, tried a RSPCA one in Walsal that's the next closest one but no luck in getting touch no one answering the phone or getting back to my message so far.

I think it was shock at first and wanting to get thumper from the risk of the same fait Charlie had but had time to think and see what's right.

we enjoy her company lots and since moving to the new house I've not had to buy a lawn mower her and Charlie were doing a great job at keeping it short :)

Plan of action is to see now she goes on from here and assess after the weekend and hopefully find some potentials in the mean time.

Again thanks for the advice

Rich.

Back