• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Megacolon questions

weedug

Mama Doe
How would this normally be diagnosed? Also any diet tips for keeping a bun's guts going? Would profibre help?

Timmy has just been diagnosed, and I have a feeling Honey has the same.

Initially Doughnut was suspected of having that but her guts are slow. She's on permanent metaclop and I've found grass helps her, so I pick some grass if possible every day. I also try to get her to have a good run around but she doesn't always want to! I also give her daily infracol to help with her gas if it does slow so she is more comfortable.

Initially Doughnut was suspected of having that but her guts are slow. She's on permanent metaclop and I've found grass helps her, so I pick some grass if possible every day. I also try to get her to have a good run around but she doesn't always want to! I also give her daily infracol to help with her gas if it does slow so she is more comfortable.

Many thanks for replying. I will see if grass helps. Timmy and Honey had a little yesterday and overnight there were the most poops I've seen for ages! I was trying to work out what had helped but it might be the grass.

I think the grass helps Doughnut but I do get a lot of mushy poops sometimes with it but it's worth it to keep her guts going. Grass seems to make her a bit loose. Let me know how it goes.

The grass helped for a day or 2, but didn't work quite so well yesterday. Timmy's gut was bad yesterday because of a vet visit the day before, so hopefully the grass will work better when he isn't so stressed.

I've been introducing small amounts of high fibre foods for him to try to get his gut moving better.

My Daisy had this, I fed her on mainly dried forage (wet stuff made her giant poos really soft) I had some blackthorn (I think it was called) which was really useful when she was at her worst. I found pro fibre was really helpful as well as emeprid, cisapride and Zantac 2-3 times a day.

I've had three rabbits with this. One didn't live long due to the illness, one lived a happy healthy life for several years once I was able to sort his diet out, and the bun I have now with it is happy and healthy now that I've sorted out his best diet and what the problem foods are. I've found with my rabbits that have megacolon, that a very strict diet is very important in helping with and controlling the effects of the disease.

The biggest problem food for mine seemed to be anything high in carbs/sugars/starches. So no fruit, no grains, no starchy veggies. I've also found pellets to be a problem food for my rabbits. One rabbit it would cause stomach discomfort and eventually stasis, so he was off pellets completely. My current rabbit with it can have a very small amount of pellets, but the main of their diets consisted of grass hay, select leafy greens, and forage. For my rabbit now, I have to make sure the hay has a good amount of hard stems too, as too leafy of a grass hay will make him have very large moist log shaped fecal poos.

But this diet is completely tailored to the individual rabbits and what I have found to work best. What will be the best diet for a megacolon bun, can vary with each individual rabbit.

I've had three rabbits with this. One didn't live long due to the illness, one lived a happy healthy life for several years once I was able to sort his diet out, and the bun I have now with it is happy and healthy now that I've sorted out his best diet and what the problem foods are. I've found with my rabbits that have megacolon, that a very strict diet is very important in helping with and controlling the effects of the disease.

The biggest problem food for mine seemed to be anything high in carbs/sugars/starches. So no fruit, no grains, no starchy veggies. I've also found pellets to be a problem food for my rabbits. One rabbit it would cause stomach discomfort and eventually stasis, so he was off pellets completely. My current rabbit with it can have a very small amount of pellets, but the main of their diets consisted of grass hay, select leafy greens, and forage. For my rabbit now, I have to make sure the hay has a good amount of hard stems too, as too leafy of a grass hay will make him have very large moist log shaped fecal poos.

But this diet is completely tailored to the individual rabbits and what I have found to work best. What will be the best diet for a megacolon bun, can vary with each individual rabbit.

Agree 100%.

My Daisy had this, I fed her on mainly dried forage (wet stuff made her giant poos really soft) I had some blackthorn (I think it was called) which was really useful when she was at her worst. I found pro fibre was really helpful as well as emeprid, cisapride and Zantac 2-3 times a day.

I've just started with pro fibre, which seems to be helping a bit. I'm not sure if we have blackthorn here. I'm not confident in recognising it and would hate to give the wrong thing. Do you know if anywhere online has it?

Back