• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help Me Please!!!!!

What Colour Rabbits Should I Get?

• Total voters

roorabbit

New Kit
Hi i'm RooRabbit, i'm currently 13 years old and live in Gloucestershire. :wave:

i would love to know any tips that you have to persuade my dad to get me rabbits, we have been talking about it for a while. i have a 6 year old brother and two cats, one 4 years old and the other 7/8.
my garden is fairly large and there is concrete at the end with grass towards the house, leading onto a patio.

I have made him a 32 slide PowerPoint presentation all about rabbits and he is now considering it, any tips would be much appreciated!

RooRabbit
xxx

Last edited:
Hi i'm RooRabbit, i'm currently 13 years old and live in Gloucestershire. :wave:

i would love to know any tips that you have to persuade my dad to get me rabbits, we have been talking about it for a while. i have a 6 year old brother and two cats, one 4 years old and the other 7/8.
my garden is fairly large and there is concrete at the end with grass towards the house, leading onto a patio.

I have made him a 32 slide PowerPoint presentation all about rabbits and he is now considering it, any tips would be much appreciated!

RooRabbit
xxx

I would say the best colour rabbits I have ever had in the whole of my life have been the colour of Rescue Rabbits :love:

RooRabbit
xxx

I would never support 'persuading' a parent to allow a child to have rabbits. Rabbits are delicate creatures, nervous, possessing of a powerful bite, kick and scratch and expensive to provide for. Their vet bills can run into thousands. Many of them do not like to be held, so they are not cuddly. They are not suitable pets for children unless supervised by a willing and knowledgeable adult who did not need any persuasion to take them on, and will happily look after them when the child becomes bored or goes off to university.

I am impressed by your 32 slide pp, and at 13 you are certainly capable of caring for rabbits very well - but are you earning enough to pay their regular vet bills, as well as emergencies? If the rabbits cause damage to your parents' property, who will pay for that.

I think it would be much more sensible if you were to wait until after university, until you have a full-time job and know how your life is shaping, before you take on what could be the fifteen-year or more responsibility of being a rabbit keeper.

I would never support 'persuading' a parent to allow a child to have rabbits. Rabbits are delicate creatures, nervous, possessing of a powerful bite, kick and scratch and expensive to provide for. Their vet bills can run into thousands. Many of them do not like to be held, so they are not cuddly. They are not suitable pets for children unless supervised by a willing and knowledgeable adult who did not need any persuasion to take them on, and will happily look after them when the child becomes bored or goes off to university.

I am impressed by your 32 slide pp, and at 13 you are certainly capable of caring for rabbits very well - but are you earning enough to pay their regular vet bills, as well as emergencies? If the rabbits cause damage to your parents' property, who will pay for that.

I think it would be much more sensible if you were to wait until after university, until you have a full-time job and know how your life is shaping, before you take on what could be the fifteen-year or more responsibility of being a rabbit keeper.

it's not that he needs persuading he has had them before it is just he wants me to prove that i really want them, so i wanted to see if anyone knew any interesting facts or really fantastic advantages of having rabbits, i have found out that they improve children's social skills etc. He has also said he will keep them after i leave. it is just a case of if he has any questions i need to answer and when and the money because we aren't rich but can afford it, he is also getting married so it is costing it with insureance etc...

thank you for your comment i really appreciate it
still trying to get to grips with this website :lol:
RooRabbit
xxx

Hi Roo,

Welcome to the forum :)

Have you looked at local rabbit rescues near home? If so have you thought about offering to volunteer for them during the holidays?

Often parents are worried that you will lose interest in the animal and that they will end up caring for them. Parents want to know that you are committed to the pet you want.

Perhaps you could open a savings account and add a set amount from your pocket money- then you will have money to make larger purchases when the time comes to get your pets.

Keep on reading up - maybe get your dad to quiz you on your rabbit knowledge?

good luck, keep us updated!!!

If your Dad wants you to prove that you really want rabbits then volunteering at Windwhistle Warren is a really good idea, even more so if you could get your parents to be part of the volunteering.

I know Alice who runs the rescue there and not only is she really nice but you could learn a lot from her about not only about the good side (getting to know bunnies and giving strokes) but how much really is involved in their care as well as the bad side (their illnesses) and how to spot and treat them. Also you could keep an eye out for rabbits that you would like to adopt at the same time. (Be warned you'll want to get every bunny there as I've found out from just dropping my lot of for boarding!)

Tbh if I had that chance before getting my own rabbits I would take it like a shot. I'm still learning now how to care for my hooligans and sometimes that lack of knowledge has caused the loss of a well loved friend.

Hey! Welcome to the forum - how exciting :D

I kind of want to second and agree with what happybun said (a regular occurrence, hb!). I'm a few years older than you and don't have a job yet unfortunately, so I rely on my parents' income to pay the insurance which then pays most of our bills! Sadly my rabbit (only have one) was the runt of the litter and has had problems since the day he was born. Had I have known about it - both the stress and the financial burden! - I don't think I'd have got one at such a young age - in my case, 12. By all means do get one (or ideally, a pair from a rescue!), assuming you'd be able to care for them! But never underestimate how much they cost :lol: some rabbits are never ill; others, like mine, are at the vets an awful lot! Insurance is a must-have...

You definitely sound dedicated, and bunnies are really, really rewarding. I love my boy to bits! I just did not appreciate how much work they could be, because my previous rabbits were all 'easy'. I think going to a rescue is a really good idea, you could get a feel for bunnies and their behaviour much better. And obviously ask away on here!

Take him for a day out to a Rescue Centre, and let him see all the adorable rabbits that nobody wants any more, all waiting for forever homes!

EXACTLEY what I did, (35 years ago!!!) he was called Spot, and my Mum fell hook line and sinker for him. Now at 45 I still have rabbits.

I hope all goes well for you, and potential furry friend :)

When I was a kid I wanted a dog. We were allowed to get one after I did a school project. It sou ds similar to your scenario. I had to prove to my mum that I understood the committment. I was about your age (12 I think). I arrange to complete a day work experience with a vet (a friend of my parents) where I witnessed surgery on a dogs leg, setting a bone and routine things like vaccinations; a day with a breeder; a day with a groomer; and a day with a kennels. It was invaluable and ultimately resulted in us getting a much loved family pet.

Hello there!
Be very calm and ask him to go to the pet shop where they handle rabbits! You will get a much bigger chance of owning rabbits if he sees how cute they are are, oh, and , best color? Doesn't matter, why not adopt from a shelter and save a life?

Back