• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rear guard reaction?

CherrySpring

New Kit
So there have been some pesky flys getting inside my home, the rabbits are always keep clean etc etc. didn't want to risk fly strike so I treated them both with rear guard, supplied from the vet. One hour later my biggest was laying on his belly looking very unwell, panting. He recovered within a few hours, but just now, I've noticed he's now having loose bowel movements, like imagine the consistency of horseradish, patches about the size of a plum spotted in a few places in the pen. Is it possible for a rabbit to have such a severe reaction to this stuff? The vet said its Normal for them to become a little upset belly wise and go off there food- which is odd cause they would usually worry if they stop eating after 12hours! Advice is needed!

So there have been some pesky flys getting inside my home, the rabbits are always keep clean etc etc. didn't want to risk fly strike so I treated them both with rear guard, supplied from the vet. One hour later my biggest was laying on his belly looking very unwell, panting. He recovered within a few hours, but just now, I've noticed he's now having loose bowel movements, like imagine the consistency of horseradish, patches about the size of a plum spotted in a few places in the pen. Is it possible for a rabbit to have such a severe reaction to this stuff? The vet said its Normal for them to become a little upset belly wise and go off there food- which is odd cause they would usually worry if they stop eating after 12hours! Advice is needed!

Yes, in my experience and from what vets have told me it is entirely normal for a rabbit to have this kind of reaction to Rearguard. I have known many rabbits have reactions far more severe than the one you describe.

Keep an eye on your rabbits and if they continue to have loose stools or go off their food, ring the vet.

It's put me right off using it again, they were happy lots of binkies munching on there fav green then I applied that and the get so poorly. Guilty isn't the word! I'm interested to hear some other reaction stories!

Last edited:
i have been advised not to use it. you could use F10 that's what i have for them. i know its a worry with flystrike. i also use lavender flowers and i rub lavender oil around the cattery.

Don't feel guilty - you did what you thought was best. If your rabbits are healthy, you keep their housing/bedding clean, it is very unlikely that they will get fly strike, so just check them over. If they have health issues, you will have to be even more careful

It's put me right off using it again, they were happy lots of bi lies munching on there fav green then I applied that and the get so poorly. Guilty isn't the word! I'm interested to hear some other reaction stories!

Your vet supplied it, so please don't feel guilty yourself! Lots of vets advocate it. I first came across reactions when this television vet Jeremy recommended it in his practice ...

I've only known not to use rearguard, from being on this forum, otherwise I would have done too. My Toffee gets a mucky bum, so I apply F10 to his rear end, after cleaning him up. F10 is an antiseptic spray, which while not preventing the flies laying eggs, I think it stops them hatching ? Please correct me someone if I've got that wrong

I've only known not to use rearguard, from being on this forum, otherwise I would have done too. My Toffee gets a mucky bum, so I apply F10 to his rear end, after cleaning him up. F10 is an antiseptic spray, which while not preventing the flies laying eggs, I think it stops them hatching ? Please correct me someone if I've got that wrong

Yes it repels flies.

However, if you read the contra-indications (below) - it's dangerous to cats and fish, humans should avoid breathing it in (though rabbits can ingest it apparently?) and it's not suitable for humans to ingest .... hmmmm ....

F10® Germicidal Wound Spray with Insecticide
Contra-indications, warnings, etc
Flammable, keep away from naked flames when spraying. Avoid contact with eyes. Avoid contact with domestic cats. Cypermethrin is dangerous to fish or aquatic life. Do not contaminate aquaria, fish bowls, ponds or waterways with the insecticidal product. Operator safety. Avoid breathing the spray mist.
Withdrawal Periods
Not applicable. Not for us in animals intended for human consumption.

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/F10...idal_Wound_Spray_with_Insecticide/-67524.html

I wouldn't use anything on my rabbits that contained cypermethrin. It can affect the nervous system and be toxic, and there is no antidote :(

Last edited:
Well, I don't like the sound of F10 either.
Diligence and regular inspection are the winners!

Is that in like a spray form? sounds like it's another option! I heard the citerella oil works too, I don't know how effective some of the cheaper market brands are for fly strike but I might give them a try. I would hate for them to have something like that happen especially where one is intone incontinant.

Is that in like a spray form? sounds like it's another option! I heard the citerella oil works too, I don't know how effective some of the cheaper market brands are for fly strike but I might give them a try. I would hate for them to have something like that happen especially where one is intone incontinant.

Have you had the cause of the incontinence diagnosed? It may be easier and safer to 'fix' that if possible, rather than dosing the rabs with chemicals :shock:

i agree that it is best not to use chemicals, but as i was going on holiday for 2 weeks i needed to put my mind at rest that they would be protected from fly strike. now i am home i can keep a closer eye on them.

I used Rear Guard the first Summer I had rabbits.

Harriet went into stasis and Harry and Milly who were bonded,fell out.Obviously the smell upset their bond.I decided not to use chemicals again of any kind and now just check bunny bottoms x3 a day.I just feel its safer overall.

UPDATE: Fudgecake my eldest had to be put to sleep this evening, he went into stasis and became very unwell and in a huge amount of pain. Rip bun bun xx

Back