• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding brother and sister

HollyHoops

New Kit
Hi

I'm new here and just looking for a little advice. I brought my rabbits about 4 weeks ago, they are brother and sister.

When I first went to see them they were living together and got on fine. I brought my doe (I only wanted 1 rabbit really) and had her for 3 days before I thought it really would be best if she had a bunny friend so I went and brought her brother.

I tried introducing them to each other but she chased him, bit him etc. Since that day she's been in the hutch with a run attached and he's been in an indoor cage. I put his cage next to hers each day and only bring him in over night or if it's raining.

They come in every other day for a run around the house and they get on fine. They sit together and chew on willow balls and sniff around each other with no problems. Every now and then I try putting him into her hutch/run with her but she just attacks him again. I don't want him to stay in there as they are both too young to be neutered at the moment, it's really just to 'test the water' so to speak.

I tried again today and again she attacked him so when I cleaned them out I've put my buck in the hutch and put my doe in the indoor cage. I know does can be very territorial so I'm guessing this is the problem, she doesn't like him being in her space?

My buck was really unhappy at first, thumping a lot but now he knows she's's not in there he's loving it.

I'd be grateful if anyone could tell me if they think it'll be easier for me to introduce her in with him after a few weeks when it his home instead or hers? Or is this just wishful thinking on my part? Once they are neutered I really want them to be able to live togeather.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Holly

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi holly,

It's great you got a pair! :)

I have a brother and sister pair and in the end I ended up keeping them apart until both were neutered and then tried bonding when the hormones had settled down!

I did keep mine in separate indoor crates next to each other, but if one bunny is showing aggression it may be best to keep them out of each other's sight, but of course others will be able to give you better advice!

Mine are mini Lops, I got my little man neutered at 4 month and my girly at 6 months! It was hard to keep them seperated for that long as I thought they wouldnt go back together but everything was fine & they are now the best of friends, Hope this helps xx

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your reply.

She's only agressive if I put him in her hutch or run, otherwise she's fine with him. But maybe I should back off a bit until they've been neutered.

Think I might have to get another run in the meantime so they both have plenty of space during the day. I want to make them a 'runaround' system sort thing eventually anyway so it won't be wasted in the long run.

Mine are mini rex, I've kept standard rex in the past but couldn't find any anywhere near to me so I went with mini's. They are very cute though!

Holly

Last edited:
10e17203548e85682b12da99dd399ad5.jpg

They are fine out in the house, just not in a hutch/run

Aww they are gorgeous! :love:

Well being honest if it was me I would stop letting them outtogether as you'll probably find your little man will be maturing soon and may start to hump the female. I know this sounds harsh, but it will be in their best interests. Similar to you I let them both out together supervised in our lounge at 14 weeks and before I knew it in a split second I caught him humping her. We were really lucky but I know in many cases young females can become pregnant so maybe be careful. I'm sure it won't hurt keeping them separate but still near each other so they can still see and smell them! :) xx

Last edited:
Back