• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spayed yesterday and....

pollypocket

Warren Scout
Came home last night, now I'm struggling to get them eating. They ate fine pre and post op, but apart from the tiniest nibble of apple, they've not had much else, although one must have ventured out of bed in the night because I found 2 tiny Poos near the pellets.
They've got fresh food as well as the hay and pellets. A real selection of food.
Pain relief shouldn't be until 10am, but I feel I want to give it now at 7.45am.
That's another thing I'm going to have to try and do, but I'm scared of hurting them
Being a nurse I know how painful a hysterectomy is in humans, I can only imagine how they must feel.
I hate having animals operated on, I've had cat's and dog's spayed and hated it just as much.

Last edited:
So sorry, it's horrible isn't it. I'm sure they'll start to eat a little once the pain wears off. Hope they go on ok xxx

I can't get them to take the meds. But I'm going out to get some more carrot tops because that seems to be the only thing they will eat. Both have eaten a couple of carrot tops, so I'll stock up for now and take it from there. I'll leave them alone for a while because I don't want to stress them too much and I'll try again with the meds when I'm back.

There is loads of poo and wee in their bed, so rather than change it, because they are laying in there, I've put extra bedding on top for now.

I can't get them to take the meds. But I'm going out to get some more carrot tops because that seems to be the only thing they will eat. Both have eaten a couple of carrot tops, so I'll stock up for now and take it from there. I'll leave them alone for a while because I don't want to stress them too much and I'll try again with the meds when I'm back.

For me personally, the best way to get meds into a bunny is to have them on a counter top on a towel, I know yours have just been neutered so obviously you will have to be careful when lifting, but its a good opportunity to have a look at the wounds as well. x

They will need a day or 2 to start feeling better and wanting to eat normally. Sending speedy recovery vibes.

Put the pain mess on the carrot tops just a few drops at a time and hand feed so you know ea h one has it :)

This I had to do with one of mine but on a basil leaf strong flavour didn't know the mess we're there :)

They will need a day or 2 to start feeling better and wanting to eat normally. Sending speedy recovery vibes.

Put the pain mess on the carrot tops just a few drops at a time and hand feed so you know ea h one has it :)

This I had to do with one of mine but on a basil leaf strong flavour didn't know the mess we're there :)

I have tried that and she actually ate all of it except where the meds were. But only eats if I hand feed her. But that's not too much of a problem. If I start her by hand feeding then for a couple of minutes she will eat independently. But it gave me chance to refresh the bedding because she is lying on it. I don't want her on wet bedding. Holly is doing better so far, she actually looked like she was going to jump out, so I stopped that. Holly is also eating much better. Pixie looks so sad though. But they are eating, albeit small amounts and weeing and pooing. So hopefully it's all going well.

Good morning, well I never did get the pain meds into them, I tried everything except wrapping them up. But they were both in the main part of the hutch last night, eating fairly well. This morning they were in normal position waiting for breakfast. It looked like they'd eaten some of the pellets, some hay and all the veg. There are loads of caecotrophs today, but I don't care right now, that will sort itself out once their eating is back to normal. I'll put them back on their usual pellet amount instead of unlimited, once they are eating better. But they certainly seem better today than yesterday and we have their check up today. I need to clean them out as well, after barely drinking and not much wee yesterday, they certainly made up for it overnight. But I'll do that while they are still in their basket from the vets. Hopefully they'll be allowed out soon, I think Holly is getting cabin fever lol. Pixie is more relaxed than holly, always has been. But I've a few questions for the vet today. But certainly going the right way. Xx

Pleased to hear your bunnies are getting back to normal. No jumping or running around though for a good few days yet!

Back