• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Horse hay for bunnies?

mokwa32

Alpha Buck
Hi guys,

Have a chance to buy a large bale of horse hay for £20. Can bunnies eat this? As it's costing me a fortune on pet shop hay.

Thank you.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I use it all the time but here it is £3.00 a bale. The quality can vary though, some being dusty. I've sussed out some really good hay, it's virtually dust-free and the buns love it. £20 seems rather expensive or is it for a large bale as opposed to a small bale.

Hi guys,

Have a chance to buy a large bale of horse hay for £20. Can bunnies eat this? As it's costing me a fortune on pet shop hay.

Thank you.

Yes, I agree, £20 is very expensive. Here in London I get a good bale of hay for about £6 - 8.

It's good for buns and guineas :D

£20 is expensive. I live in Aylesbury and get a large bale for £8 but that's bagged, unbagged it's £5ish. It's fairly good quality but I do top it up with oxbow timothy and more expensive shop bought meadow hay.

Yes, I agree, £20 is very expensive. Here in London I get a good bale of hay for about £6 - 8.

It's good for buns and guineas :D
Oh I thought 20 was okay. I'm spending about 30 a week from pet shops makes me want to cry. And I think the big bale would last month's :). I'm glad they can eat it, I'm going to order two bales :)

Pet shop hay is just horse/farm hay chopped up so yes it's completely fine! As with any hay you need to check that it's good hay, you can get superb hay or dusty musty hay.

I agree that £20 is shocking for a bale :shock: I pay £5 (or rather did, my closest horse supply shop thingy started getting really dusty :( so I stopped buying it!)

Unless... Does the £20 include delivery? I'd imagine that would put the price up a bit!!!

I use it all the time but here it is £3.00 a bale. The quality can vary though, some being dusty. I've sussed out some really good hay, it's virtually dust-free and the buns love it. £20 seems rather expensive or is it for a large bale as opposed to a small bale.
It's for the big huge bales you can't even jump up on. He said it's the best quality hay, he grew it himself and he thinks it's fab, his horses love it.

How many bales should I get?

I have 5 buns now 😁

Are any of you in Scotland? Maybe there is a price difference in England. I will say to him that his price is high see what he says...

It's the enormous bales! Ah and if he grew it himself then I would take a chance and go for it! Good luck!

If they are that massive then maybe the price is reasonable, most bales can be carried by one person reasonably easily.

Just check that it is hay not haylage, I don't think buns can have haylage. (Haylage is semi dried grass that is then wrapped in plastic those huge round things that look shrink wrapped in fields)

Are any of you in Scotland? Maybe there is a price difference in England. I will say to him that his price is high see what he says...

Mine love their baled hay. £20 is alot but if it was amazing quality I'd buy it. I'm just coming to the end of my first small hay bale which we've had 2 months. I have 3 medium sized bunnies.

I'm in Glasgow. I use Alexanders .. Half bale is £5.95. Bunnies love it!!!!!!

If that's the big bales that's a bargain. They are the equivalent of about 6 small bales and my four go through two small bales a month so it should last you a while

Just check that it is hay not haylage, I don't think buns can have haylage. (Haylage is semi dried grass that is then wrapped in plastic those huge round things that look shrink wrapped in fields)
Haylage is semi-fermented, so a definite no-no :)

£20 for a haystack sounds good to me! :thumb: I pay £6.50 per bale but it's the only place close by: everywhere else does haylage!

I pay £4 a bale it's fine mostly but sometimes I get a dusty/mouldy bales usually in the winter as it's been stored all summer and autumn. I have had a couple with rat poo in as well but if I get a dodgy bale I just chuck it away. I use a different farm now because I have seen a few rats around the farm when I was waiting for the bale!

Back