• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor shed/avairy?

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi all,

Well after lots of and lots of discussion.. My two babies are heading outside!

I am gutted but also excited as I really want to make them the most amazing new outdoor house ever! So if possible can anyone please post pictures or post links of what sheds and avairy's you have used?

We have looked through so many threads on here, but actually need to know where we can get them from initially & what to look for size wise? As there are just so Many and we are struggling with what to choose?

Thanks in advance xx

Hi babsie,

I have and it looks amazing.. Do you know where she got the initial avairy from? And what size it is? x

It's a dog kennel and run, and I'm sure that she gives details on size etc somewhere. Hampsons, or is it Hampsoms, springs to mind. I'll try to find details.

I think you'll have to scan through HoneyBear's thread - she also gives details of the changes she had made.

My outdoor hutch and aviary are from boyles pet housing. Can thoroughly recommend the sturdy design and construction. BUT you get what you pay for, if you see what I mean!

That's lovely. Be aware of where you position it though as the glass could potentially make it very hot in there on a summer's day. you could remove the glass and have welded mesh in that section instead, maybe??

As a space and an idea I absolutely love it, but I think it would behave too much like a conservatory and be subject to big fluctuations of temperature which are not good for bunnies. Even in winter on a sunny day that amount of glazing could generate a lot of heat inside during the day time, but the temperature would then plummet as soon as it got dark. I think it could work but it would need an awful lot of adapting to replace some of the windows with mesh and have them so you can either have them meshed or glazed depending on the weather. I bet the bunnies would just love sitting on at shelf peering out a window like that though!

I've got a converted potting shed (will see if I can find some photos) which is more basic than that one. I've taken all the windows out and replaced with mesh, I've also put a mesh inner door on it so they can sit on the floor and look out, I close the door at night but it's open the rest of the time. I've put a shelf in so they can sit and peer out of the windows and they love it. My plan is that in winter I will get some clear tarpaulin to put across the windows so that it keeps the rain out and most of the wind, while not sealing it all completely.

I've also got an aviary which is an all in one shed and aviary unit. This really helps keep the rain out because it has a continuous roof across the whole thing. Again I use clear tarpaulin over the sides to keep the rain out and it does help in the winter too. Even just tarp across both sides with the front open keeps the temperature in there very slightly higher than the outside temperature.

That's lovely. Be aware of where you position it though as the glass could potentially make it very hot in there on a summer's day. you could remove the glass and have welded mesh in that section instead, maybe??

Hi,

Thank you so much.. Well we did think either blinds or wire mesh.. But the mesh probably sounds better and they can have constant air supply then! :)

Well hopefully we can get this.. So they have a nice big space to play in then and not necessarily get wet & cold. As they are currently house buns and want this to be a easy move for them! What would you recommend as a sleeping area? An old hutch or a couple of little wooden houses from pets at home?? Xx

Hi Santa,

Thanks so much., sorry only just seen your comment. Eek.. I never though of the temperature like that! But thank you, well what about if we meshed 2 windows and then kept the others and used blinds?!

We would insulate the whole thing, it's just I wanted more so a bigger enclosed space so it's similar to the house and wouldn't be too much of a shock for them! I know they love being in the garden, but even in the winter last year, they would sit under our radiators! Lol!

I did consider an avairy but was worried they would get wet & cold especially with Harvey. If anything we have to keep him warmer as on very cold days it could start early arthritis in his legs! :( so when you add a tarp, does this cover the whole thing, down to the bottom? To stop rain driving in and getting the floor all wet?
(Really sorry for all the questions, but with the money we are looking to spend it has to be right)

Thank you xxx

It is a lovely building for them and this is me just being tight, that is a heck of a lot of money - I wonder if you had that sort of money you could get something custom built to suit perfectly, with electric lights and heating, a clear indoor area - that could be massive and a run area.

Have you seen the recent thread - hang on I will get a link .

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?446285-The-Bun-Run-Project-pics-added

I dream of giving my rabbits a place like that! But if you see how much of the space is off the ground it might be good for your bunny with arthritis?

Last edited:
It is a lovely building for them and this is me just being tight, that is a heck of a lot of money - I wonder if you had that sort of money you could get something custom built to suit perfectly, with electric lights and heating, a clear indoor area - that could be massive and a run area.

Have you seen the recent thread - hang on I will get a link .

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?446285-The-Bun-Run-Project-pics-added

I dream of giving my rabbits a place like that! But if you see how much of the space is off the ground it might be good for your bunny with arthritis?

I second this. For that amount of money you could have something truly fantastic custom built that would be perfect from the start so you wouldn't have to buy something and then still have to modify it. :)

I have this, http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?446401-New-set-up if we'd have had more space I would have had the shed positioned outside but fully connected to the run (so the doors open into it). Colin from run about runs makes amazing bespoke products, I'd recommend him.

My set up cost £780 but that includes the wood and lino for the interior of the shed and also the more expensive roofing material I chose.

With an aviary you can easily get tarps meant for market stalls that cover a whole side (I have one of these for winter if needed but my set up is in a sheltered spot so not sure if it will be needed.

Last edited:
Hi all, thank you so much for your comments and ideas! They look great, and has really helped!! Being honest, I think my biggest worry is them getting cold and being scared as we have a huge cat that currently lingers around my garden and the rabbits are terrified! (So they don't go out that much at the moment) my rabbits love nothing more than sitting in my window and even when the cat runs past the window.. They bolt!! If they are that bad indoors, I just really worry with them being outside & exposed?

Therefore thought about the all in 1 shed for bed so they can run around inside in the winter and I'll get a run for next summer. I love all your ideas but we would need to get it fully insulated to keep warm and keep cool in the summer.

We have now moved our thoughts to buying a fully insulated sunmer house, 8ft by 10ft and we are going to remove the glass windows with mesh, and add in loads of different levels, and tunnels and things to play in!

Am I being cruel keeping them inside a large space? Or should They have access to a run aswell? Honey is terrified if she even hears sirons in the distance, plus we do tend to have lots of aeroplanes go over!

Xxx

Ideally they should have access to a run also, could you attach their current run with a runaround tube to the new summer house?

Also you could use kick boards around an aviary so bunnies can't see out unless they're standing on their hind legs

Back