• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Archimedes. :( UPDATE -he's gone.

tlcwrites

Mama Doe
We haven't had Archimedes all that long. And, in many ways, out of my 5, he's the one I know the least about by some considerable distance. Athena and Apollo are both young rescue rabbits, and all of Athena's medical "history" has been with me. Elphie and Galinda (Artie's wives) are both lively 5 year olds who have been with me from about 10 weeks old.

Artie, meanwhile, was adopted as an adult. The rescue was informed that he's 2.5 years old. He had/has slight lameness in his rear left leg - but that is already much, MUCH improved since he has been home with us. His leg is nothing like it was when we first met him. He was a fast turnaround for them because they wanted him homed with other rabbits asap as they didn't think he'd thrive in a rescue scenario. They neutered and vaccinated him before he left though.

However, it's his weight/appearance that's worrying me. He doesn't feel or look like a 2.5 year old buck. I'm struggling to get weight on him - he feels like he's losing weight, not gaining it, in spite of being comparatively skinny since we got him from the rescue. His body shape is improved - I think thanks to his leg being better and being able to exercise properly. He eats like a trooper though - without fail, he's always first in the hay. Even when his girls are finished eating, he'll still be going around and eating the rest at breakfast and dinner. Yesterday he had a bit of a mucky bottom. He just looks like a little, elderly man, not a comparative youngster. He makes Elphie and Galinda look like teenagers. :(

I can't get him to a vet today. :( I can't drive and all the vets that are open are too far away (and too stressful) to take 3 rabbits to. The emergency vet for our practice is 10 miles away as opposed to up the road (where we'd ordinarily see them) too.

We're taking one of the cats tomorrow for a sedation/biopsy, but I'm going to try and get them to fit Artie in too. I just hate feeling out of control.

Last edited:
:cry:.. I'm sorry I didnt want to read and run.. heres hoping everythings Okay at the vets...

Lots of vibes being sent your way

Fee x

I got some. :) Couldn't get a good picture of his underside as I'm alone. And, typically, he'd cleaned himself up anyway! I got some pictures of Elphie and Galinda (who are 5.5 - were born Jan 2010.) Excuse the state of the hutch; I did clean them out but these 3 are messy little things.

This one probably demonstrates it the "best":

th_P1060158_zpsxvnapirw.jpg

But here's an album of very swiftly taken photos. Thought it easier to share this way:

https://www.facebook.com/tracie.cow...312274.1073741830.222303991&type=3&uploaded=9

We haven't had Archimedes all that long. And, in many ways, out of my 5, he's the one I know the least about by some considerable distance. Athena and Apollo are both young rescue rabbits, and all of Athena's medical "history" has been with me. Elphie and Galinda (Artie's wives) are both lively 5 year olds who have been with me from about 10 weeks old.

Artie, meanwhile, was adopted as an adult. The rescue was informed that he's 2.5 years old. He had/has slight lameness in his rear left leg - but that is already much, MUCH improved since he has been home with us. His leg is nothing like it was when we first met him. He was a fast turnaround for them because they wanted him homed with other rabbits asap as they didn't think he'd thrive in a rescue scenario. They neutered and vaccinated him before he left though.

However, it's his weight/appearance that's worrying me. He doesn't feel or look like a 2.5 year old buck. I'm struggling to get weight on him - he feels like he's losing weight, not gaining it, in spite of being comparatively skinny since we got him from the rescue. His body shape is improved - I think thanks to his leg being better and being able to exercise properly. He eats like a trooper though - without fail, he's always first in the hay. Even when his girls are finished eating, he'll still be going around and eating the rest at breakfast and dinner. Yesterday he had a bit of a mucky bottom. He just looks like a little, elderly man, not a comparative youngster. He makes Elphie and Galinda look like teenagers. :(

I can't get him to a vet today. :( I can't drive and all the vets that are open are too far away (and too stressful) to take 3 rabbits to. The emergency vet for our practice is 10 miles away as opposed to up the road (where we'd ordinarily see them) too.

We're taking one of the cats tomorrow for a sedation/biopsy, but I'm going to try and get them to fit Artie in too. I just hate feeling out of control.

It may be that the Rescue was misinformed about his age. I have worked with Rescues for years, and this often happens, as a young rabbit is deemed easier to rehome than an elderly. Have you had the vet assess his age?

Perhaps he needs to build up a bit of muscle tone since his lameness is getting better ...

It doesn't feel like an emergency situation (where you need to see a vet today) - or am I missing something?

It may be that the Rescue was misinformed about his age. I have worked with Rescues for years, and this often happens, as a young rabbit is deemed easier to rehome than an elderly. Have you had the vet assess his age?

Perhaps he needs to build up a bit of muscle tone since his lameness is getting better ...

It doesn't feel like an emergency situation (where you need to see a vet today) - or am I missing something?

Re: the emergency, it was the messy bottom I was concerned about for needing to see a vet asap. However, he has cleaned himself up which is good.

He was assessed by the vet at the Sanctuary he came from and they assessed him as being good to go. I'm still going to try and get him to our vet tomorrow (hopefully the same one who treated Athena's abscess successfully and is treating Nyssa (the cat's) lump.) I'll mention properly assessing his age too. It doesn't change too much in the sense that he's a good fit for Elphie and Galinda. But it will change the insurance though and I'm not sure how - when I set it up, I could only go by what I was told and that was 2.5. I still need to set up Apollo's but I've been more ill than usual.

I'm glad that the lameness has improved but the fact he feels like he's losing weight despite eating fine is alarming. As is/was the mucky bottom. :(

Re: the emergency, it was the messy bottom I was concerned about for needing to see a vet asap. However, he has cleaned himself up which is good.

He was assessed by the vet at the Sanctuary he came from and they assessed him as being good to go. I'm still going to try and get him to our vet tomorrow (hopefully the same one who treated Athena's abscess successfully and is treating Nyssa (the cat's) lump.) I'll mention properly assessing his age too. It doesn't change too much in the sense that he's a good fit for Elphie and Galinda. But it will change the insurance though and I'm not sure how - when I set it up, I could only go by what I was told and that was 2.5. I still need to set up Apollo's but I've been more ill than usual.

I'm glad that the lameness has improved but the fact he feels like he's losing weight despite eating fine is alarming. As is/was the mucky bottom. :(

The mucky bottom could be due to more pellets than he needs, or arthritis in his spine making it harder for him to clean himself. This would also point to an older bunny. As for losing weight - E.C. can cause this, so perhaps worth asking your vet about a course of Panacur. This would have to be for all your buns and for 28 days.

He sounds like a darling anyway :)

My rescue bunny Arthur was losing weight although he ate constantly, even climbing my leg and begging for food. He was diagnosed with coccidia and once treated he gained weight nicely. Mabel wasn't affected although she was carrying it too.

There are several reasons a rabbit can lose weight but you should definitely get it investigated. Good luck.

He does look a bit under the weather - hope the Vet can come up with the reason, if there is one.

Thanks everyone. I'll bear in mind everything that people have said and see what the vet has to say. Hopefully she will be able to fit him in tomorrow, even though I know she's seeing the cat too - and taking a biopsy out of her leg. :lol:

The mucky bottom could be due to more pellets than he needs, or arthritis in his spine making it harder for him to clean himself. This would also point to an older bunny. As for losing weight - E.C. can cause this, so perhaps worth asking your vet about a course of Panacur. This would have to be for all your buns and for 28 days.

He sounds like a darling anyway :)

28 days worth of Panacur for 5 rabbits! That sounds fun. Especially as I'll be away for a couple of weekends and entrusting family to do it. I hope it isn't E.C. (obviously) but if it is, of course we'll make sure that all 5 get what they need. :)

And he is. He's such a dopey little thing and probably the sweetest rabbit I have right now.

Last edited:
So, we managed to get Artie checked out today. He was given a thorough exam by the vet. His heart sounds fine, his lungs sound fine, his gut is moving nicely. His teeth look ok (which is miraculous given his alleged prior diet before I adopted him). His slightly lame leg feels ok too. His eyes are bright and his ears are clear. He does still have a little bit of a mucky bottom though.

The vet doesn't think E.C. is likely given there is no dribbling, no head tilt and although his bottom has been a little mucky, he's still passing solid poos too. Of course, it's always a possibility because he's a rabbit and rabbits hide their illnesses exceptionally well. (to state the obvious!)

He kept chewing on the device as she tried to examine his teeth (his tongue looks beautiful, haha) but I didn't expect anything less of him. And he was chowing down on hay whilst waiting for his appointment AND directly afterwards. The girls meanwhile were being stompy and sulky.

Because he has lost weight and is very skinny, he could look older than he actually is. The vet said that rabbits present older very quickly when run down/with weight loss. However, she also believes he could easily be as old as 10 rather than the 2.5 we've been told. She kept saying he could be in his "retirement home" with us as opposed to what we initially believed. I'm fine with it either way; I just want him to live a happy life with me however long it ends up being.

Artie's been sent home with metacam, baytril and SS Recovery diet. If we get especially concerned, he has to go in again on Friday for bloods to be taken and more examinations that way. Regardless, he needs to go back for a follow up check up next week.

On a positive note, I had Elphie & Galinda weighed as they were there. Both have shed the extra poundage they were carrying and are healthier for it. :thumb: That's a relief for certain. :)

Also the vet who saw us today was Charlotte rather than Hayley. Charlotte is the one who picked up on Athena's abscess. She was delighted to hear that Athena is doing so well, that she's showing no signs of it redeveloping and even has a husbun in Apollo. :love:

Now we just have to wait to hear about Nyssa Noodle Cat who is having a biopsy taken today. And keep a very firm eye on Mr. Artie over the next few days and keep everything crossed that he picks up again. My poor silly man.

Last edited:
Oh well I suppose it's good news in a way. It isn't easy discovering what is wrong with a rabbit at times. Fingers crossed he will be ok. Pleased you have got some weight off the 2 girls - well done!

So, we managed to get Artie checked out today. He was given a thorough exam by the vet. His heart sounds fine, his lungs sound fine, his gut is moving nicely. His teeth look ok (which is miraculous given his alleged prior diet before I adopted him). His slightly lame leg feels ok too. His eyes are bright and his ears are clear. He does still have a little bit of a mucky bottom though.

The vet doesn't think E.C. is likely given there is no dribbling, no head tilt and although his bottom has been a little mucky, he's still passing solid poos too. Of course, it's always a possibility because he's a rabbit and rabbits hide their illnesses exceptionally well. (to state the obvious!)

He kept chewing on the device as she tried to examine his teeth (his tongue looks beautiful, haha) but I didn't expect anything less of him. And he was chowing down on hay whilst waiting for his appointment AND directly afterwards. The girls meanwhile were being stompy and sulky.

Because he has lost weight and is very skinny, he could look older than he actually is. The vet said that rabbits present older very quickly when run down/with weight loss. However, she also believes he could easily be as old as 10 rather than the 2.5 we've been told. She kept saying he could be in his "retirement home" with us as opposed to what we initially believed. I'm fine with it either way; I just want him to live a happy life with me however long it ends up being.

Artie's been sent home with metacam, baytril and SS Recovery diet. If we get especially concerned, he has to go in again on Friday for bloods to be taken and more examinations that way. Regardless, he needs to go back for a follow up check up next week.

On a positive note, I had Elphie & Galinda weighed as they were there. Both have shed the extra poundage they were carrying and are healthier for it. :thumb: That's a relief for certain. :)

Also the vet who saw us today was Charlotte rather than Hayley. Charlotte is the one who picked up on Athena's abscess. She was delighted to hear that Athena is doing so well, that she's showing no signs of it redeveloping and even has a husbun in Apollo. :love:

Now we just have to wait to hear about Nyssa Noodle Cat who is having a biopsy taken today. And keep a very firm eye on Mr. Artie over the next few days and keep everything crossed that he picks up again. My poor silly man.

Well that's a bit of a difference, isn't it - not 2.5 but maybe 10 :shock:

However, it would explain a lot - it's really great his teeth are good, whatever his age, and especially if he's much older. Keep on eating, I say!

Hope your cat does well today - Good luck!

It's very difficult to tell a bunny's age. I find usually if they' re over 3yrs their claws become thicker and tough and over 5 yrs they start to feel a bit boney, where they lose a bit of muscle tone over their back, probably due to a bit of stiffness. I may be completely wrong and others may disagree. This is what I have found. my Opera, who was totally black went a bit grey around her mouth and chin. She got to 10yrs old.

We honestly have no idea how old Aboleth is: the rescue said her previous rescue had no idea either. They didn't think she was old, but she was definitely not a baby. She's '1-2yrs' on the paperwork but could be much older! As long as she has a happy life, I don't really care :) Hope Artie settles with his meds and puts a bit of weight on: be nice for him to gain what the girls have lost :mrgreen:

He LOVES the recovery food and the metacam (what bunny doesn't love metacam though? :D) He's tolerating the baytril which is the best I can hope for. Artie is such a good, patient boy. I hadn't bonded strongly with him before all this but now I'm really feeling the love. He is the sweetest, sweetest thing ever and I'm happy he's come into my life. I just have to do what's best for him now, however long he has and however old he actually is. Just need to cross fingers, toes and paws that he will put on that bit of weight.

Nyssa is doing pretty well too. She doesn't have a dissolvable stitch in her leg; it needs removing in nine days. But the sample has been sent off for analysis. Here's hoping it comes back clear. She's definitely sulking about the buster collar though - and THAT needs to stay on until the stitch goes! Poor cat.

Went out at 5ish to give Artie his SS recovery. Brought him inside to do so because it was raining. He ate the whole lot in pretty much one go. But when I put him back in the run, he just looked very old and very sad. When he moved he was super wobbly on his feet.

My poor boy. :(

He's been booked in to see the vet again on Thursday. I really think he needs to. I just hope he can hold out until then. :(

Last night, I brought him inside. The girls were snuggled up together in the hutch. He was outside, in the run, just sitting there. He looked so skinny, so depressed and I was so scared that he would pass away in the night. It was a toss up between leaving him with Elphie and Galinda (who are very rambunctious 5 year olds) and hoping for the best and bringing him in and hoping the bond won't break during his absence. The latter felt more important.

Artie is a little perkier this morning than he was last night. Except for when I'm giving him one of his very frequent cuddles, I'm leaving him crated for now. He's very awkward and clumsy when moving; sometimes it's like he doesn't know what his legs are for. He's still eating and drinking well and gets very excited over any type of food being put in the crate, even for something as simple as more hay. He's definitely passing poos but they are a bit on the small side (not excessively), a bit misshapen and hard. Haven't seen him pee since he came in last night. He's also been grinding his teeth. Would it be wise to give him a little extra painkiller? I don't want him hurting. :(

A photo of us having cuddles: https://instagram.com/p/5tsORQp4kY/?taken-by=tlcwrites

Last edited:
Last night, I brought him inside. The girls were snuggled up together in the hutch. He was outside, in the run, just sitting there. He looked so skinny, so depressed and I was so scared that he would pass away in the night. It was a toss up between leaving him with Elphie and Galinda (who are very rambunctious 5 year olds) and hoping for the best and bringing him in and hoping the bond won't break during his absence. The latter felt more important.

Artie is a little perkier this morning than he was last night. Except for when I'm giving him one of his very frequent cuddles, I'm leaving him crated for now. He's very awkward and clumsy when moving; sometimes it's like he doesn't know what his legs are for. He's still eating and drinking well and gets very excited over any type of food being put in the crate, even for something as simple as more hay. He's definitely passing poos but they are a bit on the small side (not excessively), a bit misshapen and hard. Haven't seen him pee since he came in last night. He's also been grinding his teeth. Would it be wise to give him a little extra painkiller? I don't want him hurting. :(

A photo of us having cuddles: https://instagram.com/p/5tsORQp4kY/?taken-by=tlcwrites

Sorry not to have read all the posts on here, but has he had a blood profile run to check his kidney function ?

Personally i would want this done asap, I would be reluctant to give a high dose of Metacam until his renal function has been established

Also, I would keep him indoors all the time for now. It does not sound as though he can maintain his body temperature at the moment and overnight temperatures are unseasonally low.

Sending vibes for him xx

Sorry not to have read all the posts on here, but has he had a blood profile run to check his kidney function ?

Personally i would want this done asap, I would be reluctant to give a high dose of Metacam until his renal function has been established

Also, I would keep him indoors all the time for now. It does not sound as though he can maintain his body temperature at the moment and overnight temperatures are unseasonally low.

Sending vibes for him xx

Thank you, Jane. It means a lot to hear your say, especially when you have so much on your plate.

As for Artie, he's booked in for tomorrow to see the vet again and due some more metacam tonight. He was meant to go next week for a check up, but we were told to book him in sooner for the blood profile if he doesn't perk up and we're concerned. I'm definitely keeping him in for now, even though it means being apart from the girls. Poor wee fellow. xxx

Back