• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to keep buns grass nice and green?

Vickymnx

New Kit
Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping their grass healthy green and lush for their buns?
Bonnie and Clyde love their grass, so I move their run around every couple of days or so, but am now left with large areas of dead / yellow looking patches all over it?
I'm worried they will eat their way out of a lawn :(
Thanks!

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for keeping their grass healthy green and lush for their buns?
Bonnie and Clyde love their grass, so I move their run around every couple of days or so, but am now left with large areas of dead / yellow looking patches all over it?
I'm worried they will eat their way out of a lawn :(
Thanks!

Water it!

The problem is if they are ina confined area such as a run, they overgraze and the grass dies and it turns to mud.

The problem is if they are ina confined area such as a run, they overgraze and the grass dies and it turns to mud.

Yes this. Our garden is small and had been completely turned to bog by the start of this year. We have managed to grow the grass back though by employing the local Green Thumb man. He came and did some initial treatment (aeration/scarification/feeding), after which we had to keep the buns off it for 6 weeks. Now he comes quarterly to feed it, and each time we have to keep the buns off it for the next fortnight. We have also split the garden in half, so that they can only access half at any time, and we are swapping them over every two weeks.

So far, it is working and we actually have a pretty lush lawn again. I'm not sure how it will do over the winter though when the grass isn't really growing.

We only had this problem with Charlie (unneutered) when he weed on the grass in the run corners: the patches only grew back about 5 years after he died! If it's just a bit tired, you can fork it to aerate and looses the packed roots to encourage growth: get a big garden fork, ram it into the ground and then pull it out. If you want you can wiggle it a bit to make the holes larger. Then rake the dead stuff out (it's great exercise!) with a tne rake not a soil rake. Then water it. A lot. And make sure it doesn't dry out after that, but you shouldn'rt need to drown it again. You can sprinkle compost or something like that over if you want but it's never worked for me :)

Mine have been off ours for a week: it's not fully recovered yet but it will but the time they've finished with the patches that have. My OH says we have enough grass in our little lawn for 1.5 rabbits :roll: :lol:

Back