• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fili's still not right UD (S)He's gone.

MissSherwood89

Mama Doe
Fili had a dental last Thursday, but something is still not right. He used to be such a little food monster who would eat anything and everything. Before and after the dental, he's only been eating little bits very slowly and, since yesterday, he's not eating much at all. His guts are also really noisy so we bought some gripe water yesterday but it's still really loud, seems to mostly be when he eats. Just before he did wolf down a bowl of mushy pellets, the most I've seen him eat in one go for weeks, which makes me think there's still something going on with his teeth.

We have yet another vet appointment tomorrow (his 5th in less than 3 weeks). It's only been a week since his dental, are we being too hasty? I've never had a dental bun so I don't know how long it would be for him to get back to normal. I'll do anything to avoid the emergency vets again, can't say I was too impressed when we took him 2 weeks ago.

Just wish he could tell me what's wrong :(

Fili had a dental last Thursday, but something is still not right. He used to be such a little food monster who would eat anything and everything. Before and after the dental, he's only been eating little bits very slowly and, since yesterday, he's not eating much at all. His guts are also really noisy so we bought some gripe water yesterday but it's still really loud, seems to mostly be when he eats. Just before he did wolf down a bowl of mushy pellets, the most I've seen him eat in one go for weeks, which makes me think there's still something going on with his teeth.

We have yet another vet appointment tomorrow (his 5th in less than 3 weeks). It's only been a week since his dental, are we being too hasty? I've never had a dental bun so I don't know how long it would be for him to get back to normal. I'll do anything to avoid the emergency vets again, can't say I was too impressed when we took him 2 weeks ago.

Just wish he could tell me what's wrong :(

You are not being too hasty in my opinion. If something isn't right, then it isn't going to get better by waiting. You will only store up problems such as gut stasis with erratic eating.

I would suggest that your vet takes a head X-Ray. My vet has always said to me that they are difficult to interpret and usually a waste of time, but in your situation I would say this is the way forward.

Something is going on, and if he has had a dental and all looked well, then you need to investigate further. An X-Ray would be the only way to ascertain what's happening.

Yes, I avoid the emergency vets like the plague. I can't even remember the last time I visited one!!

I had a feeling x-rays would be the next step, will definitely ask tomorrow. He did perk up a bit for the first few days afterwards but now he's gone back to what he was like when it first started. He just looks so sad, not like him at all.

I had a feeling x-rays would be the next step, will definitely ask tomorrow. He did perk up a bit for the first few days afterwards but now he's gone back to what he was like when it first started. He just looks so sad, not like him at all.

I'm sorry to say that I know exactly what you mean .... :cry: Good luck. I hope your vet is rabbit savvy?

Yeah his normal vet has been really good, I've had a few bunny people recommending them even though we're already registered there! Just glad I changed when I did, the place we used to go were not great with bunnies.

Sorry to hear Fili is not thriving after his dental. :(
I think MM is spot on, do have those xrays, maybe its a tooth root issue? I certainly hope whatever the cause of his not eating well it is easily sussed.
I worry like heck when mine have dentals done and they take awhile afterwards normally to get eating again, but a week would have me hopping and flapping. I hope everything goes well with your visit tomorrow.
Lots of love to Fili...handsome laddie. :love: xxxx

Ended up working later than I thought so OH had to take him. He's booked in for full-body x-rays first thing tomorrow so I'm glad about that. Still not eating properly, although I did manage to tempt him with some baby food before and he's had some more Metacam which I think he's happy about!

Now, after what OH has told me, I'm beginning to question anything and everything! Whilst feeling his abdomen, the vet took him to another room and asked another vet to have a feel. Both agreed that there was "something" there and questioned OH on whether Fili was definitely a neutered male. Both vets seem to think that he is actually an unspayed female :shock: As he is from a rescue, we were both assured that he was neutered under their care and we've never thought to question it.

Part of me is hoping that what they felt is actually a uterus, just because I don't want it to be anything sinister. Obviously if he does turn out to be a she then "she" will be spayed ASAP. My mind is all over the place now, there's like a million questions flying around at once! Hoping the x-rays will at least answer a few of them tomorrow.

ETA: He's suddenly realised we left a bowl of pellets and a pile of basil in front of him!

Last edited:
Vets called, they've just finished the PM. Turns out she was actually a neutered female, we never would have guessed that in million years. She had intestinal tumors, so there wasn't anything we could have done anyway. We've asked them to arrange a cremation and we're going to pick our Princess Mylo up soon.

Vets called, they've just finished the PM. Turns out she was actually a neutered female, we never would have guessed that in million years. She had intestinal tumors, so there wasn't anything we could have done anyway. We've asked them to arrange a cremation and we're going to pick our Princess Mylo up soon.

I'm so very sorry.:cry:

Rest in peace, beautiful Princess xx

Back